Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

2012 SEMA/Anyone going?

6K views 21 replies 7 participants last post by  cartmann32 
#1 ·
The 2012 SEMA show is fast approaching (October 30 - November 2, 2012, Las Vegas Convention Center.

Anyone planning on going? Last I heard a true wide body (read; not fender flares) Solstice coupe is suppose to making it debut. Unsure if it's a one-off or possible kit.

#2 ·
Not this year. It is a great show, so I hope to be able to make it next year.

Norm's Fiberglass has some in-progress pictures on one of these forums of a wide-body car.

#3 · (Edited)
This is the style I like best so far;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/new-mallette-solstice-31775/index2.html

It keeps the DNA of the Kappa without veering into the kit-car/replica field of trying to make it look like something it isn't. Though I'm thinking this could be the Pitbull (or based off the Pitbull design). The design makes it looks like a more legitimate Cobra alternative. Now imagine that on a coupe or EDAG topped Kappa (candy tangerine, or candy yellow). That would make one bad A$$ Pontiac Safari especially if it had the mechanics to back up its looks.

Anyway, hope this is the styling direction Norm Kappa widebody is taking.

#4 · (Edited)
This is the style I like best so far;
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/new-mallette-solstice-31775/index2.html

It keeps the DNA of the Kappa without veering into the kit-car/replica field of trying to make it look like something it isn't. Though I'm thinking this could be the Pitbull (or based off the Pitbull design).
If you look at the date on that thread, it is the Pitbull. (2007) The recent drawings of a widebody coupe are the same drawings as those 2007 ones, but with a coupe top added. (Hint, look through the windshield on the newest coupe drawings and you will see the original humps from the convertible drawings.)

See my comment and side by side drawings here:
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/1095989-post7.html

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f11/updated-mallett-pitbull-coupe-sema-2012-a-73137/

#7 ·
Ditto.

Over the weekend I started thinking it may look too much like a cartoon car, but then the 427 Cobra seems to be quite widely accepted so this design may too. Popularity will probably be tied to price.

Also if it is there and GM sees it maybe they'll kick themselves for not simply reassigning the platform to Buick as they plan on doing with the G8 to Chevy. Point being, the Corvette car can no longer compete or meet all segments the sports car market has morphed into (i.e. entry level, near luxury, premium).

Also, other threads talk about weight. I understand Colin Chapman famous sentiment add power and ("then" sounds better) lightness, but have to wonder if there's a point that lightness is actually detrimental to performance? Corners may be a no brainer but how about high speed straights? Especially if a body isn't all that aerodynamic?

#8 ·
I always thought SEMA was an industry event and you had to be in the car industry and sponsored to get in or 'invited'. This is on my 'bucket list'. Is this correct or what's the secret in getting a pass for the event?

#9 ·
I would assume you need to book a room almost a year in advance like the other big convention/shows in Vegas.

#10 · (Edited)
Correct, it's for auto industry. But I thought there were two types of attendees, the vendors (and their employees) who actually work a vendor SEMA booth, versus industry vendors (and certain employees) who only attend as prospective contacts and clients.

#11 ·
Sorry....passes are VERY hard to come by. It's taken literally 3 months from start to finish to get my passes.
I have two 'Owner/Buyer' passes (my brother and I) then two 'Spouse' passes for our ladies. Even though they'll only use them once or twice.

So...I guess, if you guys wanna come up and wear wigs, you could use the passes when they aren't using them :) Or, if you're a lady....free game I guess. IDK

#12 ·
The trick is to convince SEMA that you are legitimately in the automotive aftermarket business. That usually requires access to a business that has a business license and tax ID number and can show some connection to the automotive aftermarket. Company letterhead and a business card used to be enough, but now you pretty much have to have your name on a company email account.

If you haven't started yet, you probably won't make it in this year, as it typically takes 2-3 weeks for a new application to be approved. If your "business" connection is a little shaky, it can take a lot longer.

I haven't been in a few years, but rooms shouldn't be a problem. Las Vegas isn't as busy as it used to be, this isn't peak tourist season, and SEMA isn't as big as some other shows.

#13 · (Edited)
#15 ·
Called Norm, he said Mallett had contacted him about building a Pitbull widebody for this years SEMA but there's just wasn't enough time to build one. He's widening some OEM fenders and installing parts he already produces for a car, plus building a couple GT3 bodies cars for racers.

The Pitbull widebody is still in the design/engineering stage and he thinks it will eventually come together and invited me to come and see what's he's working on so I may go do that.

Far as the coupe kit, even though those will be on the GT3 cars he's building he only think about three people are serious about buying a street coupe conversion kit once that's figured out. Point being, if other folks are really serious about buying a coupe conversion they should let him know.

Told him I was a little bummed that no Pitbull widebody was further along, and be displayed at SEMA this year because I believe it would generate interest for Kappa's and be seen as legitimate alternative against Cobra kits. Even though I think it's killer looking probably wouldn't be able to afford it even it it was offered.

The originally Pitbull conversion price was projected to be 18K, which may have turned some folks off, even though some of the Cobra kits out there end up costing thousands of dollars more than that because a frame and suspension also has to be bought or built. As opposed to a Pitbull Kappa which is basically a rebody.

I think it will eventually happen, and have to remember it took around 20 to 30 years before the Cobra kit car craze caught on.

Problem is I may be dead ;)

#16 ·
#17 ·
Celebrity/Famous
Chuck Mallett

Famous Vehicle
Corvette customizer

Know For
Mallett V8 Solstice

Time of Appearance
Friday, November 2, 12, 11 a.m.-1p.m.

Exhibiting Company
Quick Time Performance

#18 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.