» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Pontiac Solstice Forum

Pontiac Solstice Forum (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/)
-   Solstice and other Automotive Related News (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   40 mpg Compact Sedan Comparison (http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f13/40-mpg-compact-sedan-comparison-72531/)

MidniteBlues 06-17-2012 12:47 PM

40 mpg Compact Sedan Comparison

Every once in a while, an advertising claim comes along that strikes a nerve. It makes you stop and glance up at the TV screen, or flip back to that previous newspaper page to contemplate its meaning. For me, it's usually a hair-loss treatment. However, for most people, it's probably something that impacts their pocket book, and a pretty good example of that in the car business recently has been the claim of "40 mpg!"

It's a powerful number -- 40 mpg. Car engineers do sophisticated analysis to figure out how to reach it, and the numerical game often comes down to just getting to the threshold where the number rounds up to 40.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

oldskool 06-21-2012 04:36 AM

Your link doesn't seem to work, but I can tell you that the way 90% of the population drives these "40mpg" cars, they will never see that magic number. When they do 80+ on the highway, they may as well be driving a solstice, because they aren't getting better than low 30s!

I recently bought a hyundai veloster as a daily driver. It's comfy, practical and corners very nice. It is not fast by any stretch, and I drive it like a slow car. I have yet to break into 40s (best 38.7 actual mpg), while I routinely get high 20s-low 30s on my GXP. The EPA estimates have gotten a little more conservative over the decades, but they are still rather optimistic IMO.

MidniteBlues 06-21-2012 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldskool (Post 1088618)
Your link doesn't seem to work, but I can tell you that the way 90% of the population drives these "40mpg" cars, they will never see that magic number. When they do 80+ on the highway, they may as well be driving a solstice, because they aren't getting better than low 30s!

I recently bought a hyundai veloster as a daily driver. It's comfy, practical and corners very nice. It is not fast by any stretch, and I drive it like a slow car. I have yet to break into 40s (best 38.7 actual mpg), while I routinely get high 20s-low 30s on my GXP. The EPA estimates have gotten a little more conservative over the decades, but they are still rather optimistic IMO.

Thanks, fixed, I found same article on motor trend..:thumbs:
BTW, I agree on your statement about not reaching 40MPG, however that jetta diesel seems to make it consistently and a few others IF driven conservatively..
The women drivers seem to be able to do well..:cool:

idkfa 06-21-2012 08:47 AM

Article aside, I'd love to see more small-displacement turbo-diesels in light-weight, advanced platforms. We're obviously at the tail-end of the IC engine but fun can always be had optimizing both sides of the power:weight ratio.

The Opel Eco Speedster Says: Diesels Can Rip and Sip at the Same Time : TreeHugger

jeff465 06-26-2012 11:37 PM

I read that Ford is bringing a 1 liter 3 cylinder 125 HP engine over from across the pond.

Sly Bob 06-27-2012 03:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeff465 (Post 1089255)
I read that Ford is bringing a 1 liter 3 cylinder 125 HP engine over from across the pond.

As is GM for the Cruze.

jeff465 06-27-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sly Bob (Post 1089259)
As is GM for the Cruze.

Looks like CAFE crunch time! Only the rich will be able to afford a V8 powered new car someday.

OSUCherokee 06-27-2012 11:28 AM

If I can cruise at 60-65 mph in my 2.4L, my highway average is 45mpg. Combined city/highway, driving it like a sports car I get 28. But it's nice to know that I can whip a econobox's ass both in speed and mpg. :D

GS Stage 1 06-27-2012 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by idkfa (Post 1088641)
Article aside, I'd love to see more small-displacement turbo-diesels in light-weight, advanced platforms. We're obviously at the tail-end of the IC engine but fun can always be had optimizing both sides of the power:weight ratio.

The Opel Eco Speedster Says: Diesels Can Rip and Sip at the Same Time : TreeHugger

The Eco-Speedster is a classic example of what can be achieved: If you throw all the mandated safety features in the trash can. :lol:

Great little car, but by the time you made it street legal, you would be right back up over 2500 lbs and goodby 100+ MPG.

Geologger 07-19-2012 07:06 PM

New Member needs assistance

Hello all: Just acquired my Solstice, 2007 base model, manual shift, (45,000 km or about 28,000 miles) and just joined the forum. I'm the second owner of this car. Sold my Triumph TR8 for the Solstice. Right now looking for a good repair/maintenance manual; Hayes or similar? Any advice?

Enjoying the various forum topics. Tires: Much comment but nothing about winter or all-weather tires. I'm in the north (Canada). Any input?

Had my TR8 for 21 years - hope the Solstice lasts that long.