40 mpg Compact Sedan Comparison - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice and other Automotive Related News
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 01:47 PM   #1 (permalink)

40 mpg Compact Sedan Comparison

Every once in a while, an advertising claim comes along that strikes a nerve. It makes you stop and glance up at the TV screen, or flip back to that previous newspaper page to contemplate its meaning. For me, it's usually a hair-loss treatment. However, for most people, it's probably something that impacts their pocket book, and a pretty good example of that in the car business recently has been the claim of "40 mpg!"

It's a powerful number -- 40 mpg. Car engineers do sophisticated analysis to figure out how to reach it, and the numerical game often comes down to just getting to the threshold where the number rounds up to 40.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...n/viewall.html

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama

Last edited by MidniteBlues; 06-21-2012 at 09:08 AM.
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-21-2012, 05:36 AM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to oldskool
Your link doesn't seem to work, but I can tell you that the way 90% of the population drives these "40mpg" cars, they will never see that magic number. When they do 80+ on the highway, they may as well be driving a solstice, because they aren't getting better than low 30s!

I recently bought a hyundai veloster as a daily driver. It's comfy, practical and corners very nice. It is not fast by any stretch, and I drive it like a slow car. I have yet to break into 40s (best 38.7 actual mpg), while I routinely get high 20s-low 30s on my GXP. The EPA estimates have gotten a little more conservative over the decades, but they are still rather optimistic IMO.
2008 BRAZEN GXP - 5M Loaded Tuned to 22 PSI with HPT, AEM water/methanol injection kit - 4gph, Hahn Racecraft Intercooler. Solo street race exhaust, Catless, LE5 Throttle body, ZFR 6758, custom CAI 307whp on dyno dynamics - stock turbo (21 psi) 463whp/454wtq EFR 6758 26-27 psi,100 octane - tuned by me

2006 SLY 2.4 Comfort and Power - TRADED 28-Aug-2008
oldskool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldskool View Post
Your link doesn't seem to work, but I can tell you that the way 90% of the population drives these "40mpg" cars, they will never see that magic number. When they do 80+ on the highway, they may as well be driving a solstice, because they aren't getting better than low 30s!

I recently bought a hyundai veloster as a daily driver. It's comfy, practical and corners very nice. It is not fast by any stretch, and I drive it like a slow car. I have yet to break into 40s (best 38.7 actual mpg), while I routinely get high 20s-low 30s on my GXP. The EPA estimates have gotten a little more conservative over the decades, but they are still rather optimistic IMO.
Thanks, fixed, I found same article on motor trend..
BTW, I agree on your statement about not reaching 40MPG, however that jetta diesel seems to make it consistently and a few others IF driven conservatively..
The women drivers seem to be able to do well..

The Constitution is essentially an obsolete charter of negative liberties
Barack Obama
MidniteBlues is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2012, 09:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Article aside, I'd love to see more small-displacement turbo-diesels in light-weight, advanced platforms. We're obviously at the tail-end of the IC engine but fun can always be had optimizing both sides of the power:weight ratio.

The Opel Eco Speedster Says: Diesels Can Rip and Sip at the Same Time : TreeHugger
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

I read that Ford is bringing a 1 liter 3 cylinder 125 HP engine over from across the pond.
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 04:27 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
I read that Ford is bringing a 1 liter 3 cylinder 125 HP engine over from across the pond.
As is GM for the Cruze.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
As is GM for the Cruze.
Looks like CAFE crunch time! Only the rich will be able to afford a V8 powered new car someday.

Last edited by jeff465; 06-27-2012 at 11:41 AM.
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 12:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

If I can cruise at 60-65 mph in my 2.4L, my highway average is 45mpg. Combined city/highway, driving it like a sports car I get 28. But it's nice to know that I can whip a econobox's ass both in speed and mpg.

2009 2.4L Solstice Roadster
Color: Mysterious
Mileage: 58,950
States Visited: 19

Current Stable:
2005 Mazda RX8
2005 Jeep Wrangler
2009 Pontiac Solstice
2013 Chevrolet Spark

Stage II Drive By
OSUCherokee is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-27-2012, 06:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by idkfa View Post
Article aside, I'd love to see more small-displacement turbo-diesels in light-weight, advanced platforms. We're obviously at the tail-end of the IC engine but fun can always be had optimizing both sides of the power:weight ratio.

The Opel Eco Speedster Says: Diesels Can Rip and Sip at the Same Time : TreeHugger
The Eco-Speedster is a classic example of what can be achieved: If you throw all the mandated safety features in the trash can.

Great little car, but by the time you made it street legal, you would be right back up over 2500 lbs and goodby 100+ MPG.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #10 (permalink)

New Member needs assistance

Hello all: Just acquired my Solstice, 2007 base model, manual shift, (45,000 km or about 28,000 miles) and just joined the forum. I'm the second owner of this car. Sold my Triumph TR8 for the Solstice. Right now looking for a good repair/maintenance manual; Hayes or similar? Any advice?

Enjoying the various forum topics. Tires: Much comment but nothing about winter or all-weather tires. I'm in the north (Canada). Any input?

Had my TR8 for 21 years - hope the Solstice lasts that long.
Geologger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.