New Corvette Stingray with pics - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice and other Automotive Related News
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Unbelievable! At the Detroit Auto Show today I saw the new Corvette. Photo journalists can not capture the beauty of this new Corvette. I was stunned...........and this is from someone who loves the style of his Solstice Roadster! This Vette puts all the uber expensive sports cars to shame -- Ferrari, Maserati, Audi, etc. etc. I was not prepared to like this car after reading forum comments and viewing the press pictures. I have a warm not hot opinion of the prior years' Corvette style. I do appreciate the power delivered at the price point of the Corvette -- during its lifetime. I have enjoyed driving friends' Vettes. But......this new Corvette simply causes your jaw to drop when you stand next to it. I know this is an opinion and others may differ, but it is a significant, very beautiful car. If you have the chance to see it in person, I suggest you form your own opinion. The new aluminum frame is also on display. It is a work of art TOO!
Fiero+Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 11:58 PM   #17 (permalink)

Thumbs up

We love it!

Will probably get a 2015 model, by then the most of the bugs will be worked out and any improvements should be complete. Unfortunately the Sky will go to a new home then. The coupe will be hanging around for awhile.
Texas2Gun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 06:45 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiero+Solstice View Post
Photo journalists can not capture the beauty of this new Corvette.
I agree, 2D pics give an indication but you have to see the design in the real world to form a true opinion. My main concern is it's 177 length (read not width not height). Regardless of how well a car performs when it starts getting so long the first though is GT or land yacht (instead of sports car) then it may be time to consider what is a good length for a sports car? The Viper is 175, 2015 Honda NSX is rumored to be 170 which is right around the boundary between sports car and GT for me.

C7 convertible
Corvette Stingray Convertible images mysteriously appear on web, so we add our own

I understand I may be in the minority when it comes to length but I can't help that in 50 years the lengths of modern sports cars will start being compared to the land yacht's of the 50s & 60s. The above link is a good indication of how long the vehicle appears to be compared to an average sized human occupant. First thought is GT not sport car.

The 63-67 mid-year Corvettes were 175. However, remove the chrome bumpers and the body itself is closer to 170.

First Look: 2014 Corvette Stingray - Jay Leno's Garage - YouTube

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-24-2013 at 11:54 AM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:48 AM   #19 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing.

I still dont like it.

And I can hear Jerimy . .. "Its cheap plasticky and flimsy"

I like the simplicity and purity of design of the Solstice and the uniqueness of the late 50's and early 60's Corvettes. The new car has too many "things" sticking out and screaming for attention.

To me, its not pretty enough to overcome the stigma of being a Corvette owner. Many are very nice people but enough are butt head investment bankers who cant drive or be social to leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 08:15 PM   #20 (permalink)
Founding Member

After having spent a very long time at the display for this yesterday at NAIAS, I have to say... pictures don't do this justice. The car is beautiful in person. Yeah... the taillights aren't round, but they look better in person than the pictures I've seen before going to the show.

I'd reserve comments until you see it in person.

http://michigankappaclub.ning.com - The Michigan Kappa Club (MKC) Website

Michigan Kappa Club - Welcome Thread
rlhammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 11:45 AM   #21 (permalink)

agreed, it's losing it's classic look. Looks it was designed in Japan...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wspohn View Post
Doesn't do it for me. I'd rather have the new Jag F type shape.

Last edited by mem30075; 02-02-2013 at 11:52 AM.
mem30075 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:49 PM   #22 (permalink)

I like it for the most part. The vents and ducting serve their funtions well. The LT1 engine is CAFE friendly and more powerful than the LS. Too much Nintendo for me to ever own one. I'll take a '67 Vette coupe with the factory L88 with no radio or heater though.
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 02:00 PM   #23 (permalink)

I wouldn't trade my sol for it but its awesome. A great technological engineering feat and a design triumph.

America still builds rockets.
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #24 (permalink)

Styling reflects the attempt by GM to appeal to an international crowd. GM desperately wants the Vettes to compete with Europe's best on the track, and looks is a part of it. I like it though it is more "italianized" as a poster pointed out.
White Manual RL w/ Tan Top/Seats; GMPP Tune; Solo HF Cat/Mach; Ultraleggera HLT 20"; Dejon IC Pipes/Intake/Elbow; Race Backbone/Pro-beam/Cross brace/Venom brace; JPM Tan Alcantara console and guage cluster covers, steering wheel center, visor covers, belt loops, and elbow pads
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 10:47 AM   #25 (permalink)

I'm thinking GM has chosen form follow function rather than function follow form. Not that it's not nice looking vehicle but this recent videos appears to emphasize performance first, form second.

2014 Stingray Revealed: EXTERIOR DESIGN | 2014 Corvette | Chevrolet - YouTube

Hate the rectangle taillights...no fear. Mid-year body kit to follow.
Retro Rear End Kit Brings Nostalgic Round Tail Lights to 2014 Corvette Stingray
Old 02-04-2013, 02:49 PM   #26 (permalink)
Founding Member

I really like that they change the tail lights, this way there is NO old designed anywhere.
I owned a few and the reason I stop getting any more after 1974 was the same old boring style. This one is a lot better, so much so I may end up with one instead of my beloved Viper.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 08:09 AM   #27 (permalink)

Definitely jumped the Mako Shark. Pun intended.
It's sad... The Corvette used to be the most amazing sports car in the world because it carried high-tech looks, performance, and "charisma" all on an everyman's budget. Now they're far too expensive, and look like they have a cheap ricer body kit slapped on them. I think ever since the C5, they have steadily declined. Even getting rid of that amazing clam-shell hood from the C4 was a terrible step backwards, IMHO. Gone are the pop-up headlights. Gone is the clamshell hood. Gone is the quad round tail lights. Gone is the chance for the average person to afford one. In other words, gone is everything that made the Corvette a Corvette.
-Matt
kd4pbs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 11:38 AM   #28 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
What do you mean "gone is the clamshell hood"? Maybe we have different definitions, but the Corvette hood is still a reverse hood.
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:25 PM   #29 (permalink)

*83s-96s had a clam hood, Kappa's copied the same set-up.
Clam hood demo @ 14sec.

Generally speaking, C4s weren't heralded as design hits. However, C4s were finally beginning to be recognized and referred to as genuine sports cars by bias auto pundits as opposed to muscle-cars. Along with signaling that GM/Chevrolet was finally serious about beginning to take the Corvette up-market to be marketed as a world car instead of just an overweight, American, sports car.

*43 prototype 83s. 42 GM destroyed 42, kept 1 and is in GMs Heritage Collection along with GM/Chevrolet being able to market/claim the Corvette as being America's only continuous produced sports car since 1953.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Corvette (4th gen)

Last edited by ChopTop; 02-05-2013 at 12:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2013, 03:06 PM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
So the distinction you're making then, is that the newer ones just have the center section raise up, not the fenders... didn't the C2 have that same design?
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.