Or . . Why I hate Face Book - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Off Topic > General Off Topic
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2012, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Or . . Why I hate Face Book

Facebook, Inc. and Facebook Ireland Ltd., which together operate the Facebook service worldwide, recently posted some proposed updates to our Data Use Policy and our Statement of Rights and Responsibilities for your review and feedback. Those updates provided more detailed information about our practices, reflected changes to our products, and modified how we conduct our site governance process.
The period for submitting your comments has ended, but you can still provide feedback on those proposals by taking part in our site governance vote. To learn more about our proposed updates (which include additional clarifications based on your comments) and the vote, please visit our Site Governance Page. Voting will end on December 10, 2012 at 12 PM (PST) / December 10, 2012 at 8 PM (GMT). We encourage you to review and vote on the proposed versions of our governance documents.
Thank you for your feedback and participation in this process.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #2 (permalink)

Rob, Rob . . . Rob. How else would you expect Facebook's officers' and shareholders' to make millions unless they have unbridled access to and free use of all your private personal data.

One by one, our government is chipping away at our individual liberties. Don't let it happen.
Carpe Diem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 12:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
Rob, Rob . . . Rob. How else would you expect Facebook's officers' and shareholders' to make millions unless they have unbridled access to and free use of all your private personal data.
LOL

Too true

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-05-2012, 02:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

Don't post your private personal data. The only private data they have of mine is my real name.

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 02:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

agreed but they can still farm information like location, browsing and topic habits, areas of interest. I just go there to intake information and almost never contribute there.

Here is even more scary tech

Verizon Patent Helps Deliver Relevant Ads By Eavesdropping Conversations

Wednesday, December 05, 2012 - by Rob Williams

It's a patent that sounds like a plot description for a science-fiction movie or the result of Apple's Siri and Google's AdSense mating. With it, Verizon could program its set-top boxes to survey a room to determine relevant ads to display either on your television or mobile phone. Sound a bit scary? It kind of is.

Verizon's technology can work a variety of ways. For starters, it can listen in on conversations - whether it be with someone else in the room or on the phone - and pick out keywords that would aide it in its duties. In reality, it's simple stuff in this day and age, but that doesn't make it any less off-putting. Imagine arguing with your significant other and then seeing marriage counseling ads on the TV - or better, cuddling and then seeing ads for contraceptives!

For those who've begun to search the top of this page for a publishing date, let me assure you that this is not April 1.

Verizon will also be able to determine your mood; happy, sad, excited or depressed - it'll know. In fact, it may determine you're annoyed at its ability to read your mind and then send the definition of "Irony" straight to your mobile phone.

You don't likely need yet another reason to be a little wary of this technology, but I'll give you one. These set-top boxes can also be configured with infrared sensors that draw outlines of inanimate objects in the room along with pets. The possibilities for what it can surmise about you, your family and even your room are endless.

If there's an upside to any of this, it's that Verizon wouldn't be able to enable this sort of functionality without your permission, though if it takes the route so many companies do and bury that information deep into a EULA, you can be sure it won't go unnoticed for too long.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-05-2012, 04:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the days of Big Brother

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
odiaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 06:54 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sometimes in these forums people make threads because they are really really bored. I don't have a myface but I don't go about reading what is going on with them or even care. Not sure why you would.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 07:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40rty View Post
Sometimes in these forums people make threads because they are really really bored. I don't have a myface but I don't go about reading what is going on with them or even care. Not sure why you would.
So how is it that you're reading this and posting here???

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
Windrestrictor V2
Rusty Boltz is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-06-2012, 09:19 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Because unfortunately many other people LOVE FB and use it exclusively to communicate. Or not.

There is a lot of pressure to open a FB account in order to stay current with other communications.

I don't like it but have an account so I can communicate with others.

The subject came up some months ago in the context of planning for and keeping current on the Nationals.

I chose to start this as a separate thread to vent a bit and to not further clutter up the nationals thread.

Feel free to not participate.

Wont hurt my feelings.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-06-2012, 09:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Because unfortunately many other people LOVE FB and use it exclusively to communicate. Or not.

There is a lot of pressure to open a FB account in order to stay current with other communications.

I don't like it but have an account so I can communicate with others.

The subject came up some months ago in the context of planning for and keeping current on the Nationals.

I chose to start this as a separate thread to vent a bit and to not further clutter up the nationals thread.

Feel free to not participate.

Wont hurt my feelings.
I have not and will not join Facebook. To each their own. If it concerns the Solstice I come to this Forum. That is my choice.
Solo GXP Mach Exhaust & cat
Painted calipers with red GXP decals /centre caps
Race Mesh Grilles and retractable plate
ASAP backup, fog, side light covers. T2 decal. Santana holder
Hard top
Northern Sol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Sol View Post
I have not and will not join Facebook. To each their own. If it concerns the Solstice I come to this Forum. That is my choice.
Ahem brother!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:06 PM   #12 (permalink)

Apparently if you don't join Facebook, you're a mass murderer. Just letting you know....

Beware, Tech Abandoners. People Without Facebook Accounts Are 'Suspicious.' - Forbes
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Apparently if you don't join Facebook, you're a mass murderer. Just letting you know....

Beware, Tech Abandoners. People Without Facebook Accounts Are 'Suspicious.' - Forbes
Now that is humorous!

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-07-2012, 09:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

I thought I was the last person in America without a facebook account. Now I have another reason not to get one
Robssol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-08-2012, 06:52 AM   #15 (permalink)

I think it is ironic when I see the mostly younger group with their iPhones always stuck in their faces, texting away. They are so busy posting inanities to Facebook (and each other) that they don't really have time to live lives with anything of much interest in them, yet vainly seem to believe that the world at large is waiting with bated breath to hear what they had for breakfast.

It kind of reminds me of the ubiquitous Japanese tourists that walk around wherever they go on vacation, seeing things only through the viewfinder of a camera. They have to wait until they get home and look at the pictures to really appreciate where they were and what they did.

I have a facebook presence, but almost never use it unless I want to attend an event that is posted there and have to take a look.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.