Pontiac Solstice Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! Ships Same-Day! Plug & Play - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Pontiac Solstice Reverse/Backup LED Bulbs! Ships Same-Day! Plug & Play

Pontiac Solstice Reverse Light LED

At Diode Dynamics, we carry a full line of LED bulbs, including three different levels of brightness for your reverse light or backup light bulb (3156 size). We carry the brightest, highest-quality bulbs on the market, which we have designed in St. Louis, Missouri. Your order will ship same day, and we're here if you need us for support and service. Every bulb carries with it a three-year limited warranty.

Your purchase includes two 3156-sized LED bulb, for perfect fitment in all Pontiac Solstice Models.

Bulb Design

HP11: Four side-firing 1.5W-rated Osram LED chips, and one 5W-rated LED chip on top, which is projected by a lens for maximum effective brightness. The bulb is housed in a machined aluminum casing, which provides superior heat diffusion for long life.

XP80: Each of the four sides of this bulb contains three 5W-rated chips, and the top is fitted with four more under a projector lens. This is the brightest self-contained automotive LED bulb on the market, and is housed in an aluminum casing with a textured finish for maximum heatsinking properties.

Fitment. All three bulbs use a quality inject-molded 3156 terminal, with a locking base connector and proper pin alignment, designed for exact replacement of your factory 3156 bulb.

Included in your order is TWO BULBS.

COLOR

These LEDs illuminate in a crisp, cool, bright, white hue for maximum light output.

BRIGHTNESS

Diode Dynamics offers several brightness options so you can choose what fits you best. These options are listed by the design and the lumen output of each bulb:

HP48: Similar to factory brightness (280 Lumens)
HP11: Slightly higher brightness than OEM bulbs. (310 lumens)
XP80: Much brighter than OEM bulbs. These are bright! (510 lumens)

Lumens. BUYER BEWARE! Most sellers just provide "calculated" lumen numbers, based on the maximum potential brightness of the LED chips on the bulb. For example, if a bulb has five 10-lumen chips, they will rate it at 50 lumens. However, this is not accurate, as the design of an LED bulb does not get rid of heat fast enough to run the LEDs at maximum.

These "calculated" lumen ratings are much, much higher than the true, measured light output, so it will look like competitors' bulbs are brighter than ours. This is because Diode Dynamics does not provide inflated "calculated" numbers; we believe it is misleading. We test the actual brightness of the bulbs in our lab, to provide real lumen output measurements. Our measurements are accurate, but they are usually much lower than the misleading "calculated" figures. Please click here to learn more about LED brightness measurement.

QUALITY

LED Components. Diode Dynamics uses only the highest quality LED chips in the production of its bulbs. This means only brand-name suppliers such as Epistar, Cree, Osram, and Samsung.

While Diode Dynamics bulbs may look the same as others on the market, most copycat bulbs use economy-grade LED chips in order to reduce costs. This greatly reduces the reliability and overall brightness of the bulb when you compare it to Diode Dynamics.

Construction. Although LED technology allows for extremely long bulb life, the market is flooded with cheap LED bulbs that fail prematurely due to inferior construction. The worst enemy of LEDs is excessive heat, and when bulbs are not designed properly, they do not disperse heat as well, leading to premature failure.

Off-brand, cheap bulbs exhibit poor solder uniformity, high levels of flux in the solder, uneven chip placement, low-gauge terminal wires, poor assembly, and bulbs held together with inferior adhesives. At best, solder joints will crack and fail on low-quality LEDs after a few weeks of use. In the worst case, these bulbs can damage housings as the extra flux and adhesive evaporates and creates a residue on the lens of the housing.

Diode Dynamics bulbs are produced with modern, computerized equipment, and only the best materials, to ensure complete uniformity, high quality, and long bulb life.

All Diode Dynamics products come with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee and a 3-year limited replacement warranty.

Questions? Feel free to ask here, PM, email contact@diodedynamics.com or call us: (314) 205-3033

*PM us for the free-shipping code* (U.S. forum members only)

Thank you!
Nick C.
Diode Dynamics

Customer Reviews

"Put these led bulbs in my reverse lights on my 2009 Pontiac solstice and WOW what a difference!! So much brighter now!! THX Diode Dynamics!!! (Posted on 6/12/13)" -Randy

"I wanted to improve my backup lighting and these bulbs did the job. (Posted on 9/8/15)" -Capt. Tony

Last edited by Diode Dynamics; 10-15-2015 at 03:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 12:54 PM

FWIW (I don't have any of these) I retrofitted Philips 10W, 500 lumen fan-cooled bulbs in my reversing lights and frankly, they are TOO bright. However, they are forward-firing bulbs, whereas these are side-firing as well. Given that our reversing light reflectors are not that efficient (just silver paint), the effective output of the brighter bulbs here, may be just fine - bright, but not blinding. Certainly these will be FAR easier to install than my customized ones were!

Mine... LED on left, original bulb on right (of photo):

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

I recall seeing your post before about these housings. Output aside, I definitely like the aesthetics of the housing you selected vs. the split factory look. Very impressive!

Nick c.

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 06:19 PM

You say '5 Watt rated' or '1.5 Watt rated', but no where do you list the actual power or current drawn by these bulbs. Can you provide that info? For example, does the XP80 actually draw 65W?

Deep, steel/sand, loaded except standard radio and no smoker's; #08974
Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-17-2014, 08:00 PM

Any idea when the XP80s will be back in stock?

2007 Cool Liquid Silver GXP (all options minus onstar).
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by WintR View Post
You say '5 Watt rated' or '1.5 Watt rated', but no where do you list the actual power or current drawn by these bulbs. Can you provide that info? For example, does the XP80 actually draw 65W?
We will have more specific technical information available on our new site when it launches in January.

However, I did test a 1156 XP80 to get that information for you

They use .75 amps at 12V, so 9-10 watts

I suggest watching this comparison video if you haven't already:

Feel free to give us a call if you need more information: (314) 205-3033

Thank you,
Nick C.

post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:24 PM

Good stuff. Very interesting, thanks!

Owner of "Campbelle", a Brazen 2008 GXP ... with mods piling up...
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Good stuff. Very interesting, thanks!
You're welcome!

If you have anymore questions about technical specs, feel free to send us an email: contact@diodedynamics.com

We also have a research section here on our site: Research

Nick C.

post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:23 PM

So, the 5 Watt rating is the typical 6X LED equivalent, just like the ratings on household bulbs. That means the XP11, being 29W rated, actually will draw approximately 5W.

Interesting that you control the temperature response actively; good to know.

Mods: Kappasphere CAI, Clear Image Shorty Header, second horn, visor decals, mudflaps, tonneau cover, brake light flasher, trailer hitch, 'lil Chromies, trunk monkey, retune, DDMWorks backbone, GMPP Suspension, wood grain dash, Solo Quiet cat-back exhaust, deleted:Solo high-flow cat
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-18-2014, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
So, the 5 Watt rating is the typical 6X LED equivalent, just like the ratings on household bulbs. That means the XP11, being 29W rated, actually will draw approximately 5W.

Interesting that you control the temperature response actively; good to know.
Correct, LED efficacy is the same whether home or automotive, so currently, an LED drawing about 1W can replace a 5W incandescent. Such is the case for 5W T10 bulbs. We do have options that are considerably brighter than the factory bulb though in most applications.

Luckily most of the LED ICs out there now have capabilities to tie in thermal controls. However, it's really only for our higher power bulbs, where it is a concern, and of course only on newer products.

post #11 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 09:13 AM

I've never seen a back up light that actually lit the area behind the car. pretty much useless except for otherws being able to see that you are backing up. I like TS idea of converting them into Qbeams. That's what I want.

Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
post #12 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX08manualGXP View Post
I've never seen a back up light that actually lit the area behind the car. pretty much useless except for otherws being able to see that you are backing up. I like TS idea of converting them into Qbeams. That's what I want.
If output is your main concern (aside from cosmetics) the XP80 will produce about 3 times more usable light output than your factory bulb. It's a substantial increase for a plug and play bulb, but changing the housing out looks pretty cool IMO

Nick C.

post #13 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 03:55 PM

Cool. good to know. I'm going to convert mine to the HHR's but will keep the factory bulb set-up so when I'm ready, I'll give the XP80's a shot.

Charlie

I'm trying to contain an outbreak here and you're driving the monkey to the airport.
Hank Hill
post #14 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-19-2014, 06:42 PM

Any estimate on when more XP80s will be available?

post #15 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 AM Thread Starter
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Any estimate on when more XP80s will be available?
They are expected to arrive this week, I will post an update when more information becomes available

Nick C.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Linear Mode Linear Mode
Rate This Thread: