On the hunt - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Getting Your Solstice
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 06:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

On the hunt

Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and have joined because I have decided to narrow my search for a new car to an 08 sol gxp. Seeing as I am 25, most of my peers are buying pony cars, SRTs, or imports. I revel in being different and have found myself looking at the sol and sky. I've test drove both the sky rl and the sol gxp and even though I like the interior of the sky,driving the sol just felt better. It may have just been my imagination, but the sol just felt more raw and "au naturale". I'll most likely be purchasing from a dealer and need as much "ammo" as possible to get them to give me the best price possible. Also, I can't decide on a black or white one. I love black cars, especially at night, when washed and waxed. But I also love "panda-ed" cars (hence my username) day or night. I don't know what it is, but gas stations have the best lighting in the world and make black or white cars just look amazing. Anyway, I'll keep updates on my progress and any help with purchasing tips would be greatly appreciated.
TeamPandaCRX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2012, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Interesting
they are basically identical chassis. As you no doubt know, they were built on the same production line by the same crew. In a blindfold test on the street it would be impossible to tell the difference among all the turbo cars in my opinion. It may have been a difference in level of tune or after market parts on the GXP you tested. I have one of each and before I modified my Pontiac powertrain they drove identically.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #3 (permalink)

What Rob meant to say is Aggressive (Red) is the fastest and the devil adds at least 10hp.

He also meant to point you to his own thread here to prep you with base knowledge to ask the dealer some good questions on if anything has been done to the car.
"New" members, that is after 2008 recommended reading

Read these threads as well as the sticky threads under general tech discussion (ie check for damage due to improper jacking, ballooned intercooler, broken wheel guards, drive axle seal, other known TSB's. etc).
Old 11-13-2012, 08:03 AM   #4 (permalink)

It may have to do with the fact that I drove the gxp solo. I played around a little more with it while i just "daily drove" the rl because of the poor terrified carmax agent that got stuck with me. The gxp also only has 15k miles while the rl has double that. The only thing im concerned about so far is the gxp had 2 owners with only 15k miles. The first one drove 12k and the second drove 3k and then traded it in. Also if I was in too high of a gear and gave it gas, sometimes it would shudder a bit then just resume a slow acceleration. Its a black 2007 gxp in fairfax va if anyone here owned it before. Also i did find the only manual 2008 available in my area, but it has 60k miles. Is this too much for a 2008?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:00 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by drgronk View Post
What Rob meant to say is Aggressive (Red) is the fastest and the devil adds at least 10hp.

He also meant to point you to his own thread here to prep you with base knowledge to ask the dealer some good questions on if anything has been done to the car.
"New" members, that is after 2008 recommended reading

Read these threads as well as the sticky threads under general tech discussion (ie check for damage due to improper jacking, ballooned intercooler, broken wheel guards, drive axle seal, other known TSB's. etc).
How can I argue with you . . . or myself!???

LOLOLOLOLOL

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamPandaCRX View Post
It may have to do with the fact that I drove the gxp solo. I played around a little more with it while i just "daily drove" the rl because of the poor terrified carmax agent that got stuck with me. The gxp also only has 15k miles while the rl has double that. The only thing im concerned about so far is the gxp had 2 owners with only 15k miles. The first one drove 12k and the second drove 3k and then traded it in. Also if I was in too high of a gear and gave it gas, sometimes it would shudder a bit then just resume a slow acceleration. Its a black 2007 gxp in fairfax va if anyone here owned it before. Also i did find the only manual 2008 available in my area, but it has 60k miles. Is this too much for a 2008?
You can still find 06 cars with less than 5k miles on them. These cars in the main are "toys" and tend to be garage queens. They come out in good weather and get put to bed when the weather gets bad. Having low mileage is not a bad thing with these cars.

We had one club member who put 160 miles on his car in the first two years of ownership. Yes, 160 miles. He had the car 24 months and never bought gas for it.

The 2.0 turbo motors are designed to rev. I never drive mine under any kind of loading below 2500 RPM and am happy to cruise around at 3500 in a lower gear just to keep the thing turning in its happy place. While they make a lot of HP and torque, they are not happy being lugged down. Only bad can come of high throttle at low RPMs.

Also, the ECM tunes on the fly. If you are crusing along at low power settings for any appraciable time period, then whack the throttle wide open they will frequently complain as you have noticed. This is because they adjust for a nice lean cruise mode to return 30 plus MPG. When you hit them with high power demands suddenly they take a bit of time to recognize the demand, and then adjust the settings to provide that power. This can be evidenced by some slight knock, a bit of sluggish by comparison power delivery. If you go more gradually to the first high demand setting, then whack the throttle WFO it will kick you in the seat of your pants.

Under the skin, the NAs are basically all the same. The turbo cars fall into three catagories, each very similar. The cars through about mid-production of 07 have the early cable set so steering wheels from post mid-07 will not fit the earlier cars without a lot of modificaiton for example.

Starting with early 08 production, the vacume pump was eliminated so if you get an early production 08 of either variety it will not have the electric vacume boost pump. Mid-08 and on all have the pump included again.

I have read that late 09s and the 10s have different ECM software that is incompatible with the GMPP stage tune. I am sure Soup will provide more details.

Basically the "ideal" car is mid-07 RL or GXP with the updated wiring. Not early 08 without the vacume boost pump. And not very late production.

As far as mileage is concerned, NAs are running around with well over 100k miles and going strong. I read about one that is over twice that and still going.

If it has pronounce gear whine from the rearend, consider looking elswhere. A small number of cars have had problems with the differential.

Anything below 25-30 k miles in my experience is a great find. If it has more than that, its not a bad thing as long as it has been properly maintained.

Pull a record of the car from the GM database at any dealer and find out what and when maintenance was performed. Look for recall on the differential having been performed. Verify if it has the GMPP tune and if it does verify that the crimp connectors are soldered or that it is a later kit with soldered connectors.

The "expected" expensive things that you can anticipate if you own the car long enough are
1) Water pump any time after 25k miles (lots of threads about how this must be done correctly or it can screw up the cam drive chain)
2) High pressure fuel pump - small number of failures but it costs about $600 to get repaired and not something you can do for yourself as you have to bleed the high pressure fuel delivery system post pump and its dangerous as well as demanding
3) Slave cylinder / throughout bearing assembly. There are two designs, an early and late design. The early design has experienced some failures of the delivery hose which requires ~ $1300 to R&R the transmission, clutch, pressure plate and the throughout mechanism.

Other than that, read every post on this forum and you will be good to go

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #7 (permalink)

get a white solstice! black and white for the win! also i see your in cali? i am to, so cal to be specific hope to see your round if you get one
White hurst shift knob
Custom Rims size 18x8 and a 1/8th spacer in the front to clear the caliper
Blacked out grilles
Debadged
Blacked out arrows
Audio:
Some jvc radio thing
with single din storage
Kappasphere parts:
Kappa springs
Kappa luggage rack
On the way:
Home made WR
Front lip splitter
Tinted windows 5%
Backbone
Rebar
TURBO INCOMING
John_Salgado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Hey everyone! I'm new to this forum and have joined because I have decided to narrow my search for a new car to an 08 sol gxp. Seeing as I am 25, most of my peers are buying pony cars, SRTs, or imports. I revel in being different and have found myself looking at the sol and sky. I've test drove both the sky rl and the sol gxp and even though I like the interior of the sky,driving the sol just felt better. It may have just been my imagination, but the sol just felt more raw and "au naturale". I'll most likely be purchasing from a dealer and need as much "ammo" as possible to get them to give me the best price possible. Also, I can't decide on a black or white one. I love black cars, especially at night, when washed and waxed. But I also love "panda-ed" cars (hence my username) day or night. I don't know what it is, but gas stations have the best lighting in the world and make black or white cars just look amazing. Anyway, I'll keep updates on my progress and any help with purchasing tips would be greatly appreciated.
I'm glad to hear you're interested in the Solstice. If you would like, I can check our Certified Program stock to see if any meets your specifics. If you wanted to check yourself, the site is Used Chevy|Used Buick|Used GMC|Used Vehicles| Certified Pre-Owned. I hope you find the right car soon. Let us know if you any questions. Have a great week!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #9 (permalink)

That is the exact kind of picture I was looking for John! White with black rims looks amazing! Also I'm in Southern Maryland for now but Cali could be in the future. How can you tell what part of the year the car was produced? Specifically the 2007 because they are more prevalent then the 08s around here.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM   #10 (permalink)

There is a born on date on the door. Lists the month and year of manufacturer

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks alot for all the help so far! These are two ive narrowed it down to. Cars for Sale: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Glen Allen, VA 23060: Convertible Details - 331261478 - AutoTrader.com
And
Cars for Sale: 2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP in Fairfax, VA 22031: Convertible Details - 328525781 - AutoTrader.com

Wonder if anyone knows the past owners haha
Old 11-14-2012, 05:58 PM   #12 (permalink)

Well it looks like the production date for the second one is 10/06 so it was one of the first to roll off the line.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:26 PM   #13 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Well it looks like the production date for the second one is 10/06 so it was one of the first to roll off the line.
For what it's worth, the model year cut-over at the Wilmington plant occurred mid-June of each year.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 10:07 AM   #14 (permalink)

So the carmax gxp is june/ 07. Looks like it will be the best candidate. Now i just gotta sell this crx...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.