I've become one of you.... - Page 3 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Getting Your Solstice
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 02:07 PM   #31 (permalink)

This Autoblog article is another reason I started the Bring back the Kappa thread: Honda's slate for Tokyo Auto Salon includes S2000 revival, many Mugens

While the S2000 may be more mid than entry-level it's articles like this that give me pause to wonder about if the new GM is really any different than the old GM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #32 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
All of you are just too funny! OK, I'm still working with the transport company but attached is a couple of pics from the delaership. Now you all are as "close" to my mistress as I am - except that I have paid for the first dance!

Quote:
One of the current mistresses also has sexy, curvy, lines and is one example of about 4000. I can only hope the new, much rarer Coupe will have a similar depreciation curve!

I very much like the Coupe in Silver, very nice with the tinted windows. If you like to take the top off I'm sure you are aware through reading here that they make a soft targa, one of the first things we got.

And I love the Ford GT, being a Ford guy.....That is just BADDDDD. Way too expensive for me though, which is why we like the Coupe GXP, very easy to look at, price is right and the performance is there.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5901 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 03:54 PM   #33 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I agree that the Sols steering is a bit numb in the straight-ahead dept normally. However, if you raise the tire pressures a bit, it completely transforms the feel. Very dependent on the tires you have, so you can practice yourself to find the sweet spot, plus this may well have negative wear aspects to it. But the feel is SO much better! I run Conti DWS's and the sweet spot is around 34-35PSI for me. Any lower and it starts to feel like driving on treacle again.

Try it, you may like it!
I've been running low 30s on the stock GXP F1s and it isn't too bad, but the difference between the Fiero, with unassisted steering and the Solstice even at high tire pressures is akin to the difference in tasting wine when fresh and eager as opposed to trying the same thing after you come home from the dentist with a frozen mouth. I have been told that a very few implementations of power steering are as good in terms of feel as manual rack and pinion, but I have never experienced one. Good advice, though, to keep the pressures up, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
This Autoblog article is another reason I started the Bring back the Kappa thread: Honda's slate for Tokyo Auto Salon includes S2000 revival, many Mugens

While the S2000 may be more mid than entry-level it's articles like this that give me pause to wonder about if the new GM is really any different than the old GM.
The new GM is just as bad as the old one. Aside from the Corvette, they just don't like sports cars. They had to be 'tricked' into producing the Fiero, and they were talked into producing the Kappa by Bob Lutz a very influential guy. I don't see it happening again any time soon.

BTW, I have a friend that had a ....I was going to say 'real' GT40, but you have a real Ford GT, a continuation model of a sort. His was the only one at the track still using a 289. They did very well on value - not sure how your GT will do. I have other friends that thought their Vipers were going to hugely appreciate. They didn't. Hope yours does.

The Solstice coupe won't appreciate any time soon, maybe never, but at least the rate of depreciation will be slower and presumably interest in them will continue so selling will always be a lot easier than the converts.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 AM   #34 (permalink)

Wow, that s2000 "refresh" is hideous. It looks even more dated than the original from 13 years ago. Like an even more bubbly miata with cheaper exterior trim. Honda really is the Vanilla of the auto design world, with Toyota being Vanilla Bean.
newrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:01 AM   #35 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrival View Post
Wow, that s2000 "refresh" is hideous. It looks even more dated than the original from 13 years ago. Like an even more bubbly miata with cheaper exterior trim. Honda really is the Vanilla of the auto design world, with Toyota being Vanilla Bean.

It's definitely proper to call it a "refresh". Not that I'd remember details on the old S2000 but it looks to be pretty much the same. Hope they would at least tweak the motor some. It's an exhibittion model they call the "modulo climax"

Toyota Scion and Subaru I hear are selling every one of their new sports cars. If one is actually on the lot it's averaging only 11 days.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
One of the current mistresses also has sexy, curvy, lines and is one example of about 4000. I can only hope the new, much rarer Coupe will have a similar depreciation curve!

You have good taste!
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 08:45 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrival View Post
After looking at the photos, I'd say your analysis is spot on. But, the secretaries should love it.
carnut122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 12:57 PM   #38 (permalink)

Congratulations!
CaliCruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #39 (permalink)

Quote:
After having read what seems like a gazillion pages of very good information on this Forum, last night I pulled the trigger and joined the ranks of Solstice ownership.

I bought a 2009 GXP Coupe with the manual transmission. That would make it 1 of 288 if my figures are correct. Silver in color and < 9500 miles. I'm in process to arrange transportation to have it delivered sometime early next week I would guess. Kind of excited!

Did you finalize the deal, have not heard anything further? The car is still out on the web, no mention of it being sold.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam

Old 01-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #40 (permalink)

Yeah, sorry for the cross-post but here's what I just wrote in another thread - but probably more appropriate to be here since it's an update on the purchase....

I got mine from Harnish - nearby Seattle. I can't say I'm too happy with them.

1) The owner's son is the finance guy - and clearly a person who has the job because of his name and not his skills. The paperwork was not handled well and I actually had to request a bill of sale and title as I paid in full via bank transfer. How the heck did they think I would register it with no paperwork and why did I have to ask? (Got the paperwork almost a full week AFTER paying in full for the car.)

2) The car arrived via transport last night (Jan 10). You never get a second chance to make a first impression (hint, hint, Harnish).... When I start the car, the low fuel light immediately comes and and car is showing 0 miles until empty. Are you kidding me Harnish??? If not a full tank, how about a splash of gas so I can make it to a station?

3) Worse yet, the car was also showing, "Change Engine Oil Soon" and when I looked at the oil life, it said 2% remaining. Really Harnish? You deliver a car - which is certified no less, and you don't bother to even change the oil?? Honestly not a big deal for us as we have a lift and we did an oil change last night with Mobil1 5w-30 and a Mobil1 filter cartridge. The odometer was right at 9200 miles and oil was black - so pretty sure this was car's first oil change.

4) Emailed dealer to let them know I was disappointed with no fuel and "change oil" conditions right at delivery. Their response was that they had changed the oil and had only simply forgotten to reset the service reminder. Really Harnish? Now we are going to start making stuff up???

This was the 5th car I purchased in last 10 months and by far the WORST dealer practices I have experienced in a long, long time.

I feel better now. Back to our regular programming... just use caution if purchasing from Harnish!
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #41 (permalink)

Well, First off let me congratulate you on your new toy!!!!

I can see where the dealer totally sucked, what matters is that you are happy with what you purchased? No fuel, that's stupid, same with oil, very lame. The car arrived at your door with the same miles the dealer logged (i.e. shipping company didn't off load the vehicle and drive it)? The dealer should know better though on the paperwork, sheesh. Was the car at least detailed?

Edit: I'm sure that GT is totally bad azz, but you're going to love driving this car.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM Probeam

Old 01-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, sorry for the cross-post but here's what I just wrote in another thread - but probably more appropriate to be here since it's an update on the purchase....

I got mine from Harnish - nearby Seattle. I can't say I'm too happy with them.

1) The owner's son is the finance guy - and clearly a person who has the job because of his name and not his skills. The paperwork was not handled well and I actually had to request a bill of sale and title as I paid in full via bank transfer. How the heck did they think I would register it with no paperwork and why did I have to ask? (Got the paperwork almost a full week AFTER paying in full for the car.)

2) The car arrived via transport last night (Jan 10). You never get a second chance to make a first impression (hint, hint, Harnish).... When I start the car, the low fuel light immediately comes and and car is showing 0 miles until empty. Are you kidding me Harnish??? If not a full tank, how about a splash of gas so I can make it to a station?

3) Worse yet, the car was also showing, "Change Engine Oil Soon" and when I looked at the oil life, it said 2% remaining. Really Harnish? You deliver a car - which is certified no less, and you don't bother to even change the oil?? Honestly not a big deal for us as we have a lift and we did an oil change last night with Mobil1 5w-30 and a Mobil1 filter cartridge. The odometer was right at 9200 miles and oil was black - so pretty sure this was car's first oil change.

4) Emailed dealer to let them know I was disappointed with no fuel and "change oil" conditions right at delivery. Their response was that they had changed the oil and had only simply forgotten to reset the service reminder. Really Harnish? Now we are going to start making stuff up???

This was the 5th car I purchased in last 10 months and by far the WORST dealer practices I have experienced in a long, long time.

I feel better now. Back to our regular programming... just use caution if purchasing from Harnish!
Hopefully Matt from GM customer service see this and notifies the regional rep. to get involved.
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-13-2013, 10:35 AM   #43 (permalink)

Congrats when i started my shopping i was dying for a coupe also ended up settling with my favorite color instead
shadowsonic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 12:20 AM   #44 (permalink)

would love to see the GT and Solstice side by side
redflash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #45 (permalink)

Belated welcome. Now that you've probably driven around for awhile, now get the Tune! GMPP, Trifecta or other tunes really open up the experience behind the wheel. Then go for all the suspension goodies. We've got great vendors.

She's an 09 Brazen GXP, Trifecta tune, DDM Race Bckbne,OCC,fndr trim,center console,coilcover and LVKFCB, WERKS tank covers, Hahn IC, KS reBar, Dejon lwr intake,IC and TBE pipes, Solo HF cat with Magnaflow 3" exh, VDI doors, B&G coilovers, ASAP mesh covers, Norms f430 bumper,fenders,side skirts, GTO CAI hood and rear diffuser, Gravana J2's, ZOK bars, custom projector LED Halo headlights and taillights, custom WR & "Madmods" CF dash, pillar & door sills, JPM shifter
Next, Crazy leather int
cdflint is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.