Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Long road from the concept to this car (FINALLY ordered!)

10K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  Sly Bob 
#1 ·
It's been a long road.

I saw the 2002 concept in Detroit as did many others and fell in love with it. I felt the lump in my throat as I saw it up on the stage. I was laid off from work at the time and as much as I wanted one I knew it wasn't to be.

Then came the announcement of the GXP. Damn, I wanted that even more... Looks and the power to match.

Then in the summer of 2006 when they first became available to order, I ordered the 2007 Solstice GXP that I have seen in my dreams since I was a kid. I was back to work and things were good. Christmas of 2006 brought presents for the car. A personalised plate, red caliper paint and caliper stickers were under the tree.

The wait was long for those first cars as many of you might remember. In February of 2007 when it looked as though I was once again going to find myself on the unemployment lines I called the dealer to cancel the order. All those months of waiting for nothing. Heart broken and to find out that the same day that when I called the dealer to cancel, he was given a build date made me feel even worse. I was able to cancel however and the car no doubt went to a loving home where it would be taken care of as it should.

I remained an active member of this forum and I suppose that in a way I was able to enjoy the car through many of your posts. :grouphug:

Well as it goes, what goes around, comes around and things are picking up at the plant. More work is coming our way. Spring and top down driving weather is just around the corner.

Yesterday I went to the dealer to get some pricing information and today I placed the order. I thought long and hard about what to get over the years and to say that I am pumped about getting this car would be an understatement of a size that you could only imagine. I had thought for about 2 minutes of waiting for a 2009 but hell, I have waited long enough! :)

I ordered a Deep with the darkside top and every option available but the smokers package. I pick up the spoiler that I ordered from Rudy at Aftershock designs in the next few days and the dealer has said that they will paint it for me. Looks at this point as though I will have the car in my driveway around the end of May / first of June.

Does anyone have pictures of a Deep with black top and red calipers? A high resolution picture would make a great desktop wallpaper until I can take my own pics.

Thanks again everyone for being here. You have all been GREAT! :yesnod:

Bob

See less See more
#2 ·
Congrats Sly Bob.
That is a long wait but the Solstice is well worth waiting for.
Glad to see you stuck with it, I know your going to enjoy it.
I'm sure someone will post a deep for you to usa as wallpaper.

#3 ·
Congrats and I know you are gonna enjoy the ride! PM deepbluegxp as he has a ton of pictures of his car and he is a shutter bug as well :)

#4 ·
Yay Sly Bob! Congratulations on taking the plunge. You will love every minute of it and learn to reqret the Ontario winters!

I also ordered the Aftershock spoiler and am looking very for ward to getting it on the back of my Sly.

So, my question is....are you going to change your screen name to Deep Bob? :lol: :lol:

#8 · (Edited)
My loving wife for the Christmas of 2006 bought me these so no, Sly Bob it is... :lol:

#5 ·
Stay in touch with the dealership to make sure everything is going well.

In the US, next week's allocation cycle is the last for the Deep color. It could be the same in Canada. So check in.

#9 ·
Thank SD,

Got the order number today (D93708) and the dealer does have an allocation so I am hopeful that all is well.

Yeah, I will stay in touch with him.

You have been a wealth of information as well and thanks for ALL you do.

Bob

#6 ·
congrats on your ordering your car, in the US it takes about 6 weeks to get one in when you order on. Sorry, I got rid of the stock a month after I got the car

Here it is with the same rims painted to match along with the windshield and humps painted to match.

#14 ·
congrats on your ordering your car, in the US it takes about 6 weeks to get one in when you order on. Sorry, I got rid of the stock a month after I got the car

Here it is with the same rims painted to match along with the windshield and humps painted to match.
Thanks for posting the pictures DeepblueGXP. Maybe I could photoshop the rims. :lol:

I do love the way they look though.

Bob

#10 ·
Congratulations, enjoy it.

#12 ·
Slybob, I'm happy that your wait is over.. it's been long enough.
Congrat!!

#13 ·
I ordered mine also Bob, I watched the dealer put in my specs and I got EXACTLY what I ordered 6 weeks later. I couldn't be happier and you will be also.

#17 ·
That is AWESOME. Higher resolution maybe? I know that I am asking a lot but I am running 1280x1024.

Christ, you guys amaze me. This is a community that I am going to be proud to be a part of. :cool:

#20 ·
Soooooo looking forward to this! Car is at event code 3400 and is supposed to be built this week! :dthumbs:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.