Thinking about buying a 2007 GXP. Need help! - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

Thinking about buying a 2007 GXP. Need help!

Alright so I have been looking for a low cost used sports car for a little weekend fun. I was in between 350z, Solstice GXP, and C5. I ran into a 07 GXP with one owner, 125k miles, super clean (looks), engine sounds good, clutch felt OK for 9 years old, interior is great. Visual the car is great. Alignment is a little off. They took an offer of $5,500 ($6,600 out the door (tax, reg, and title). This is located in Florida. Car has clean car fax, service records at large dealer up to 78k miles in late 2012. I saw the the service light for air bag was on. I heard that's a big problem with the solstice. The dealer said they will look into it but I doubt they will fix it when they find out it's like $1k to fix it. I also saw that it has like 4 recalls that needs to be done. One had to do with the airbag. Will that fix the airbag service thing? What else should I lookout for on this car? Is this a good deal? I know it has a lot of miles so I'm expected to have some parts fail but would it be expensive parts/labor? Anyways I need help from the owners. I would be buying it within the next 2-3 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-19-2016, 09:04 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Welcome to the forum. You will get plenty of advice
Myllertime likes this.

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 AM

The waterpump is prone to failure, it can happen as soon as 30,000, there's lots of thread here on that. There's also some do's and don'ts with the Solstice, like not shutting the trunk lid by the humps, closing the hood w/the doors open, etc. Rob the Elder created an excellent what to look for thread and I'll post it here if I can find it. With that amount of mileage I'd want a complete flush and fill of all fluids, but I'd take it to a GM dealer for that. Also, many Solstices have dented front lower fenders from improper lifting (even by GM techs), so you'll want to make sure you know how to properly lift the car. Almost forgot, door handles are also prone to break, but 08s may be OK.

I doubt the dealer will replace the airbag sensor due to costs but the worst thing they can say is no. This is an excellent thread regarding a member's attempt to get GM to recall the airbag sensor, it also has pictures of where & why the sensor fails: Campaign to Initiate NHTSA Investigation into Kappa Passenger Presence Sensor Failure
Myllertime likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.

Last edited by ChopTop; 07-20-2016 at 04:44 AM.

post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
The waterpump is prone to failure, it can happen as soon as 30,000, there's lots of thread here on that. There's also some do's and don'ts with the Solstice, like not shutting the trunk lid by the humps, closing the hood w/the doors open, etc. Rob the Elder created an excellent what to look for thread and I'll post it here if I can find it. With that amount of mileage I'd want a complete flush and fill of all fluids, but I'd take it to a GM dealer for that. Also, many Solstices have dented front lower fenders from improper lifting (even by GM techs), so you'll want to make sure you know how to properly lift the car. Almost forgot, door handles are also prone to break, but 08s may be OK.

I doubt the dealer will replace the airbag sensor due to costs but the worst thing they can say is no. This is an excellent thread regarding a member's attempt to get GM to recall the airbag sensor, it also has pictures of where & why the sensor fails: Campaign to Initiate NHTSA Investigation into Kappa Passenger Presence Sensor Failure

Thank you. I wonder if they already replaced the water pump. Will look at service records.

post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

And yes I did notice the dent on the front left fender yesterday when I was looking under the car

post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:30 AM

Besides the water pump, which probably failed 90,000 miles ago and will likely fail again, many (most) Gxp's also have the high pressure fuel pump fail. I experienced both these failures, and they are very expensive. I think you can get a lower mileage Solstice for just a little more $$. You might be ahead in the long run.
Myllertime likes this.
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:41 AM

The major ones are the waterpump (WP) and the airbag. Also there is a recall on the rear end for the relief tube. Make sure the rear axle isn't leaking as they are very expensive to replace and very hard to find. The WP can be about $1000 to replace at the dealer. Does the car have a "tune"? If it has the GMPP tune, it will have different MAP sensors. Look at the driver's side IC piping. If the sensor in the tube has 1 screw/bolt, then it has the 3.0bar MAP sensor so you would have a tune. If it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a tune. A tune is the cheapest way to gain a bunch of extra HP in this car.
Myllertime likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
The major ones are the waterpump (WP) and the airbag. Also there is a recall on the rear end for the relief tube. Make sure the rear axle isn't leaking as they are very expensive to replace and very hard to find. The WP can be about $1000 to replace at the dealer. Does the car have a "tune"? If it has the GMPP tune, it will have different MAP sensors. Look at the driver's side IC piping. If the sensor in the tube has 1 screw/bolt, then it has the 3.0bar MAP sensor so you would have a tune. If it doesn't, it doesn't necessarily mean that you don't have a tune. A tune is the cheapest way to gain a bunch of extra HP in this car.

I'm going to look at it again today so I will look for the rear axle leak and the tune. I'll take pictures and post it on here. I have the car held until the weekend to make a decision. I have a friend that works on cars so I'm bringing him with me today.

post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:22 PM

I regularly stalk Solstices for sale, and that $5,500 price is one of the lower prices I've seen on a GXP without it being salvaged or retitled. In fact the price almost seems to good to be true, so I would definitely look it over good w/your mechanic. Also, not trying to talk you out of buying, but just because it has a clean car fax doesn't necessarily mean it hasn't been in an accident or flood damage. I've included links to several GXPs in the greater Florida area to give you an idea of prices. Granted the mileage may be lower on most of them, but it still gives an idea on what GXPs are going for in Florida. BTW, YouTube is a good resource for "how to tell if a car has been in an accident".

07 Pontiac solstice convertible GXP turbo

07 pontiac solstice. Clean

**2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP** Great Price! ANY BUDGET! Any Credit!***

https://myrtlebeach.craigslist.org/cto/5658294748.html

2007 Pontiac Solstice GXP
Myllertime likes this.

Mr & Mrs ChopTop's 09 Fastback & 06 Vert Mods thread:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/ Original join date; Oct 2005 under LowLife handle.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:31 PM Thread Starter

I know right. It was originally 6.5k then they lowered to 5.9k to clear stock but they accepted my offer to pay taxes so it would put me at about 5.5k. They are replacing a rubber piece that is at the bottom of the convertible rear window today. Then they will look into the airbag sensor thing. I will be going to take a car to a local shop so I can lift it and look underneath for leaks. I know o would have to replace some stuff in future but if today's status of the car is clean then that is a killer deal. We'll see. Thanks again for all the tips ppl. Keep em coming.

post #11 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 12:34 PM Thread Starter

If anyone is interested maybe I can do a live look at the car and you guys can give me top on what to check? Maybe like periscope or something? Let me know. Would be awesome.

post #12 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 01:43 PM

just do a search on Google of the VIN. That's what stopped me from buying several Camaros.
Myllertime likes this.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #13 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:02 PM
Founding Member

I know all the folks that post are trying to give you their take but consider this.
You are buying a 2007 GXP for $5500.00 and lets say you have to put another 3K to get it in great shape.
Now as far as I am concern this is a great deal.
Myllertime likes this.

Aggressive GXP at $25,995.00 shipping of $600, MT.
Options:
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
post #14 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
I know all the folks that post are trying to give you their take but consider this.

You are buying a 2007 GXP for $5500.00 and lets say you have to put another 3K to get it in great shape.

Now as far as I am concern this is a great deal.

That's what I'm thinking too. Right away the only thing the car will need is alignment and front tires. Then it's just knocking on wood to not break down

post #15 of 60 (permalink) Old 07-20-2016, 03:47 PM

Garage
I agree with LV. Unless there is something dramatically wrong when you look over and under, and it drives well - this is a pretty good deal. I have a 2007 GXP and understand that parts can and do fail. If all a person wants is a dependable driver - buy a Civic coming off lease but that isn't what you want. You want performance, wind in the hair and the excitement of a sports car. The GXP is a great sports car. I always recommend that a person buy the best car that they can afford but sometimes a deal comes by that is too good to pass up. This could be that deal. Good luck.
Myllertime likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode