Fiero guys...Found a 1984 Fiero Indy Pace car for sale - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Off Topic > Other Car Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2010, 09:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
DRM

Fiero guys...Found a 1984 Fiero Indy Pace car for sale

I found a 1984 Fiero Indy Pace car for sale. The body looks great, all decals and marking intact. The interior is not too bad. It has about 70,000ish miles on it. I have not driven it yet. A dealership inspected it, to pass Maryland inspection it needs new wiper blades and some head light switch fixed. The owner is asking $3k.

What do you Fiero guys think? Worth it or too expensive?
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

My Garage
DRM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2010, 09:37 PM   #2 (permalink)

Too expensive. You are going to put a lot of money into it. The interior pieces for the pace car are very hard to find.
imaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-27-2010, 10:53 PM   #3 (permalink)
DRM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaj View Post
Too expensive. You are going to put a lot of money into it. The interior pieces for the pace car are very hard to find.
Thanks for the info. What do you think is a fair price? or is it even worth it?
2006 Pontiac Solstice Mysterious/Steel/Sand F1K(#78) 2nd owner, purchased with 1,400 miles, traded 3/07 for GXP

My Garage
Old 08-27-2010, 11:01 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hard to tell DRM, without seeing it. But, an 84 car with 70,000 on the ticker is going to have it's issues. Did you see the interior? is it in perfect shape? If so, 3 grand would be good. Did it see winters? If so, you are going to deal with plumbing issues at some point. Gas pump will need to be checked. Are the sail panels in good shape. I think you cannot get those anymore.

Bottom line...If you want a little project car, go for it.
imaj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

I remember my days fondly........good luck

Newengland GXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 08:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

My secretary owned one of these. Horrid cars to drive - that was about the worst choice of a sports car engine I can think of, no ability to rev, plodding along, totally boring.

We call the engine the 'Iron Puke' in honour of its propensity for puking its innards all over the road, largely due to a design flaw in the oiling system.

You can find low mileage ones (like 10 - 15K) with no flaws for $5-6000. But you'll wait a loooong time before a buyer comes along, they just aren't that high profile in the collector world.

I'd only buy it if you really want town and drive one - it certainly isn't any sort of investment. But if you really want to own and drive a Fiero, the only one worth getting is a 1988 with the new suspension and brakes.

Sorry to be so negative, just trying to save you from a possibly unpleasant experience.

If you were closer to Canada, I'd tell you about the 1988 GT with 300 bhp turbo I am selling....
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Hello Bill, you would be correct if it was a normal 84 as those you can get cheap. But a Pace car is another deal, on the Pennocks Forum Fiero.nl there is a large following. Still $3000.00 is a lot of money, unless its very nice. Thanks Norm
http://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/fiero/Ul...i?action=intro
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)
HUH

As imaj has said if it has seen winters would be a big factor. The space frame is just sheet metal and is prone to rusting. I have a friend that has an 85 with rust problems.

Also the 2.5 engine has a cotton fiber (micarta) cam gear. These last from 60,000 to 100,000 miles. They are fairly expensive to change and very expensive to clean the engine if they start breaking up.

With that said try driving the car and you will see what Bill is talking about.

Jim
HUH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 10:40 AM   #9 (permalink)

No,, I'm well aware of exactly what an Indy version is and have driven them and helped sell the one my secretary owned (she got smart and bought a Talon turbo).

They are no fun to drive and they made 2000 of them so they aren't even rare, plus the interior bits are VERY hard to find if you need any, and they aren't worth much, as these things go.

Now if it were a real pace car with a Super Duty engine in it, that would be another thing altogether.

The stock engine managed a pathetic 92 BHP @4000 out of 2.5 litres and the power curve dropped like a stone after that (rev limit of 5000). Top speed just at 100 mph (on a good day with a tail wind, and 0-60 or over 11 sec.s, 1/4 in over 18 at a raging 72 mph.

No amount of 'Gee, I have one of only 2000 cars with the special body and interior bits" would make me put up with the total boredom of owning one of these. The figures don't convey the real sluggishness of these cars, BTW. No sports car feel whatsoever.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 12:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

Any car is worth as much as you are willing to pay for it. Regardless what anyone says. Its your money, if you want the car for what ever reason. I say get it. In fifty years it might be worth more. At least that's what I tell the wife , when I make a "I just want it" purchase.

It took her 2 months to get over me getting the Solstice.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-28-2010, 08:31 PM   #11 (permalink)
DRM

Thanks all for your insightful Fiero knowledge and advice.

I fell in love with the Fiero when I was in High school. It was the start of my two seater love affair. I bought a 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE Red with tan interior, four speed. My Fiero ran fine until it was hit from behind, shattering the back panels and bending the frame. It was never the same again. After that it just didn't feel right to me anymore. So I traded it in for a new 1987 Suzuki Samurai soft top. The Samurai started my love affair with open air driving. I think the Fiero and Samurai combination started me on the path to the two seater convertibles....But I digress.

I still like the looks of the Fiero so when I see one for sale, I want it to have a little fun with. I do think the price it too high though.

My Garage
Old 08-29-2010, 09:01 PM   #12 (permalink)
DRM

Some pics of the car I took today:

My Garage

Last edited by DRM; 08-29-2010 at 09:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Hello, well Ive seen a lot worse. Make a lower offer you can always go up. The wheels look in very good condition as they go bad from Oxidation so It looks as if it has been taken care of from here. Norm

Last edited by normsf; 08-29-2010 at 09:29 PM.
normsf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good looking car. Remember the asking price is just that, a asking price. Let us know if you get it. Good luck.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.