Increase HP with an electric motor addon - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Off Topic > Other Car Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2005, 09:36 AM   #1 (permalink)

Increase HP with an electric motor addon

I was looking around for some performance upgrades that can be added to cars and I found this one. It is an electric motor that replaces your altinator. It makes the car a hybrid. Basically, when you need power the motor kicks in and you get more boost. When the you brake or are coasting the motor turns into a generator and recharges the battery. There are some great benefits to this system:

1)Decreased fuel consumption
2)more power without wasting power by using a supercharger or turbocharger
3)The unit is tax deductable (because it is classified as a hybrid)
4)future addon will allow a boost system to be attached for up to 15 psi.
5)cheaper than a turbocharger

I sound a bit like a vendor, but I am actually just excited about this. What product will actually give you more power and eventually pay for itself through fuel savings and tax deductions.

Here is a link:
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/elect...trocharger.php
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2005, 09:41 AM   #2 (permalink)

Interesting, I may look into this as well.
Adrenaline is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 10:42 AM   #3 (permalink)
Retired from Active Duty Administrator ;-)

I think these systems have some limitations, but basically have been around and experimented with for a while now.

Expect the battery pack to be heavy (>40 lbs), and boost somewhere around 7 hp or so, depending.
Link to Solsticeforum Rules/Guidelines/Etiquette
Link to Solsticeforum Site Index (under const.)

Just go buy the car you fell in love with!
SolsticeMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 11:13 AM   #4 (permalink)
Founding Member

Wow...

Along with that, add one of these, one of these , a few decals and you'll be the terror of the street.
LBJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #5 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJay
Wow...

Along with that, add one of these, one of these , a few decals and you'll be the terror of the street.
Is that first one a $95 blow dryer for your cars air intake?
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 11:27 AM   #6 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Wow...

all you need now is a flux-capaciator!
swatthefly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
3)The unit is tax deductable (because it is classified as a hybrid)
If you look at page 4 (TAX INFO) for tax infomation you will see that it dosen't qualify for a clean vehicle tax credit. Only vehicles qualify, not add ons. And the vehicles have to be approved by the IRS.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...104549,00.html

Last edited by Small Dealer; 06-23-2005 at 11:41 AM.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow...

Don't quite understand your negative response. If you read the article they make it seem like it could increase your hp significantly. If in fact it is only 7 hp it isn't worth it. They haven't actually released the results yet. I believe that you could make a system that does have a significant impact of 50 - 70 hp though. I was told that a similar system isn't allowed in Nascar, because it has too large of an impact on acceleration. I don't know if that is true, but if it is a similar system could have a large impact with the positives and not as many negatives (pretty much the only one being the added weight).

Just so that you know this isn't some cheap kit like the ones that you suggested out of an attempt to belittle. It is a kit is the range of 3 grand. Not that price makes something good, but it very may be something at least worth looking at. Maybe you responded that way because you want to leave your car as stock and not do anything. If that is the case fine, but no need to react stupidly when someone may be interested.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:15 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founding Member

Speaking from my racing experience bypassing your alternator, or in this case using an electric motor to produce electric power will only provide very mininal power gains. Not anything approaching what you would obtain through turbo-charging or super-charging.

You would be better off ordering the car without air conditioning and have a greater weight savings, and power/fuel economy advantage.

ON WISCONSIN - GO BADGERS!
PAS22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 12:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Small Dealer
If you look at page 4 (TAX INFO) for tax infomation you will see that it dosen't qualify for a clean vehicle tax credit. Only vehicles qualify, not add ons. And the vehicles have to be approved by the IRS.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/tax_hybrid.shtml
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...104549,00.html

That's interesting, because they say it is in the FAQ section
Old 06-23-2005, 12:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAS22
Speaking from my racing experience bypassing your alternator, or in this case using an electric motor to produce electric power will only provide very mininal power gains. Not anything approaching what you would obtain through turbo-charging or super-charging.

You would be better off ordering the car without air conditioning and have a greater weight savings, and power/fuel economy advantage.
The power gains don't come from bypassing your alternator, but from the extra power that the motor adds to the system, but the system can also replace your alternator. Actually, you are really not bypassing your alternator, because the motor is essentially acting as an alternator.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

I don't think the motor looks big enough to provide any real improvements. Also, the biggest obstacle to electric hybrids seems to be with the size of the batteries and the Solstice already doesn't have enough trunk!
AV8AV8tor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 12:38 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Installing the ElectrochargerTM on your vehicle does not void your vehicle warranty coverage either.
http://www.sigmaautomotive.com/elect...rocharger5.php

Page 5 is their infomation page on how the warranty will not be voided. They use the Magnuson Moss Warranty Act improperly as their source. They state that the manufacturer or dealer must prove that the aftermarket part caused the failure.

The only way GM will void a warranty is if a branded title (such as a salvage title) has been issued for a car. So they actually got the use of the word "void" correct. GM states that any damage due to alteration or modification is not covered under warranty. Installation puts any engine, emissions, transmission, and drivetrain failure in risk of not being covered.
No proof required. That is becuase this would be an alteration or modification, not the use of an aftermarket part as offered some protection under Magnuson. Magnuson would only protect you if you used a "NAPA" alternator to replace your "GM" alternator, not the installation of the ElectrochargerTM.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)

You guys need to give your BS detectors a tuneup! Don't you recognize a BS product when you see it?

It works in practice, but does it work in theory?
stonebreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #15 (permalink)
Founding Member

The concept is nice. Might work in a basic vehicle but with the Soltice there is no room in the trunk for the batteries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.