Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 NASSM Selection thread

14K views 106 replies 34 participants last post by  MomsSol 
#1 ·
there has been a lot of discussion on Facebook concerning the selection of a site for 2013 NASSM and a bunch of us want to move this process forward ... here is a quote from Martin Scott - Phoenix SKY-SOL Club:

The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club had an event this morning and all members who showed up were given the opportunity to provide feedback for the possibility of them hosting 2013 in Flagstaff. All were very excited and some are already tossing ideas around to build a mock event schedule... I can say with out a doubt that if Flagstaff is chosen for the 2013 NASSM there will more than enough volunteers to plan, promote, and execute what would definitely be a great event!

we have solicited via FB for any other group that might have an interest in hosting the 2013 NASSM and The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club is the only group that has stepped forward ...

ANY GROUP that wishes to host the 2013 NASSM should post to this thread NLT March 1st 2012 ... if we have no other groups wanting to host then we will have the 2013 NASSM in Flagstaff AZ.

#76 ·
rob the elder: We volunteered to help as necessary. We did not receive a reply. I personally have made several attempts to communicate with the organizers and have not recieved any answer. We as a group have made frequent attempts to communicate at multiple levels to no avail.

I do not see an organizing group that feels that it wants or needs any volunteer help. Therefore, we are forced to make our own plans based on current knowledge.
You can only do as much as you can do. One can only hope that they will see the light and both get their act together and include "the community" as soon as possible.

I can't help but wonder how much of the current lack of communication is due to FB and how much is the involvement of GMR.

#79 · (Edited)
My suggestion is to make your Reservations @ the Radisson with the Group = 'GM Roadster' :thumbs: and positively think about showing up early and have some fun with the RMSSC and others. :party:

This is a great location, we need to use it! :driving:

I want to drive to Jerome......Located along a steep hillside full of hairpin turns and shocking drop-offs

#89 ·
My suggestion is to make your Reservations @ the Radisson with the Group = 'GM Roadster' :thumbs: and positively think about showing up early and have some fun with the RMSSC and others. :party:
:agree: I've made my reservations.

This is a great location, we need to use it! :driving:

I want to drive to Jerome......Located along a steep hillside full of hairpin turns and shocking drop-offs
:agree:

#81 ·
I realize that coordinating this event is a challenge. Having attended 6 nationals I became involved in three by being sweep in every run I made. I enjoy going on a run every day since I may never return to these areas. AZ has many locations I would like to check out and hopefully drive on twisty driving roads. I hope this group realizes that one day of runs surely will not make for a nice meet. Many do not care about a car show and would like to do runs again on Saturday morning. Why would you say the event starts on Thursday and have nothing planned. I volunteer to be sweep if they need help.

#82 ·
My opinion is that Martin has several ways to get information on the forums. Why he is not taking advantage of them is a mystery to me.:grouphug:

But I remain ever hopeful.

We can start to design our own "ideal" cruises and have them planned and ready should the opportunity reveal itself.:thumbs:

#85 · (Edited)
Don't all concerns have to do with the fact that there's no official Kappa club, president, and officers? Until a central Kappa club is created we're pretty much doomed to no one officially taking a leadership type position from year to year so some type of consistency can start to be established.

I'm not advocating the creation of a official Kappa club as much as pointing out the obvious that as of now the Nationals are akin to an octopus with no head. All the arms are doing their own thing but no there's no central head to control any of them.
Northeast :willy: Southeast :willy: Great Lakes :willy: Pacific :willy:
Mountain - Prairie :willy: Southwest :willy: Canada & other countries :willy:

Otherwise, sooner or later one area or club will start doing their own thing where an organic type of system will begin to develop in the years ahead and everyone will just migrate to the club that consistently puts on the best area show. Then the idea or thought of the Nationals moving around the country so all people can participate every few years becomes basically obsolete.

#87 ·
The nationals, because of no organized official club, has turned into local clubs putting on an event. AZ stepped up and volunteered for this years event and appeared at first to have everything planned very well. It seems like they have just fallen apart and are not even trying to get assistance. It appears that the Phoenix club is more of a GMR members club and not familiar with organizing through this and other Kappa forums. If Martin refuses to use our Kappa forums then it seems like someone else within their group would step up and post. Just conversation from their group would be appreciated.
Unfortunately future nationals will be the same and we will just hope that clubs put together entertaining events that are worth attending. I can invision our so called national meets going away. Which is a shame but does require a tremendous amount of work.

#88 ·
The National Meet has been a grass-roots effort from the beginning. NASSOA was formed by those who did the first Nationals, in an attempt to add some order. The problem is that, beyond organizing a National Meet, a National Organization doesn't really add any value. After NASSOA collapsed (due to lack of community interest) a group of us got together to explore the creation of a replacement organization. The consensus was that, unless some added value could be provided by it, there wasn't any real interest. After no specific added value could be agreed on the group disbanded.

I should still have my notes from those discussions, and would be happy to join in a new effort to create a National Organization, but I don't think it would be any more successful, and realistically, no more necessary.

The fact is that, unless there is a permanent paid professional organization, the National Meet is still going to be planned and executed by a local group. There is simply no way that a group of part-time volunteers can work effectively from around the country to put one of these together year-after-year. Local knowledge is fairly essential, especially in the planning of runs.

Over all, the forum has been pretty effective in "administering" the Natonal Meet selection. Most years only one group has stepped up with an offer, and things have usually been pretty smooth.

The 2013 National has given me an uncomfortable feeling from the beginning. The group announced that they were interested and then, within a very short time, after virtually no discussion on the forum, announced that they had selected themselves as the group that would host the event. Now this.

Maybe they have this event completely worked out but, as DaveOC said:
Nature abhors an information vacuum . . .
The National Meet, as some have pointed out previously, is really just a "Super Regional", and I think that there will always be one. Even if it occasionally devolves into what rob the elder is preparing for: A collection of people and groups who get together with their own plans, and with little or no central organization.

#90 ·
[

We can start to design our own "ideal" cruises and have them planned and ready should the opportunity reveal itself.:thumbs:[/QUOTE]

Rob if you need help with this let me know I have driven out there a lot and there are some fantastic 1 day drives in Northern AZ, Southern Utah and Nevada. We have done Oatman, Canyon de Chelle, Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Jerome, and all of Route 66 in Az.

#91 ·
[

We can start to design our own "ideal" cruises and have them planned and ready should the opportunity reveal itself.:thumbs:
Rob if you need help with this let me know I have driven out there a lot and there are some fantastic 1 day drives in Northern AZ, Southern Utah and Nevada. We have done Oatman, Canyon de Chelle, Painted Desert, Grand Canyon, Jerome, and all of Route 66 in Az.[/QUOTE]

Good suggestions

We did the painted desert but it was in the 80s

#94 ·
DaveOC: If and when they ever get this event happening they might not want you and I to attend! I don't think MOMSol intends to go.

#95 ·
You're right Mike. I won't be able to attend due to conflicts ....but, having been the originator of the national event and organized two national meets I abhor the lack of information that the host club seems not care about. All other nationals have had most meet information posted months before this one! Like someone stated...it's hard for people to commit to an event when there is little to no information disseminated to all possible venues. Even FB has very little information. I just hope that this does not lessen participanrpts to future nationals.

#99 ·
For What It's Worth:

Martin Scott just posted the following on Facebook:

Martin Scott said:
Just an Update on the hotel... we are being told that the personal web page to register is taking longer than expected by the Raddison woodlands Hotel... just an FYI, your room rate for the event will be $115 per night and that includes a hot breakfast for two each morning (a $34 value). If you want to book via call in, just mention the GM Roadster Group (once they get the web portal finished it will be under the event name of NASSM 2013) but for now it's under our name since we negotiated the room rate and breakfast... Thank you!

#100 ·
The following discussion also took place on FB with regard to the hotel:

Kimberly ChiliSky said:
Well, I called to book our rooms and told them it was under GM Roadster Group and was told that ALL rooms are booked for this event, they are sold out the front desk informed me.
Kimberly ChiliSky said:
Martin, it might help if you posted a phone number and contact person at the hotel in case we continue to have booking problems.
Martin Scott said:
Kimberly I just called the Radison Front desk and they told me that they still have over 100 rooms left in our block, not sure where the mistake was made but I assure you there are plenty of rooms left at this point...
Kimberly ChiliSky said:
yep I told them that but she kept insisting that there were none....I know how frustrating this is for all of you trying to get your Ducks in a row...things will work out...
Martin Scott said:
I spoke with a guy 4 min ago and he was able to find our group and verify the number of rooms left in the block... I'd suggest calling back and asking for a front desk agent that is not brain dead
Kimberly ChiliSky said:
Yep I did, and booked, he had transfered me the first time to the (duh person), even though I explained to her that blocked out rooms look like they are not available, they are...she would not even double check....stupid kid. Anyway all is fixed but if someone gets told there are no rooms ask them to transfer you back to the FRONT DESK.... AND here is the phone number for anyone calling 928-773-8888
Martin Scott said:
Good deal !

#102 ·
I just went over to FB and tried to post a query of the organizing committee.

1) having one day of cruises does not provide sufficient justification for 4 days of travel and we live in Colorado. Is the plan really to limit cruises to one day? and if not then when will we learn what the real plan is?

2) the lack of communication and committment makes it impossible for me to recommend that our club attend. Since the forums are the community standard for maintaining communications, and in light of the fact that there are multiple members of the organizing committee who are forum members in good standing, what is the plan to make sure that the information flow to and from the forums is re-established?

3) I sent Martin a personal email and received no response. Whatever the reason, the fact that he is either not receiving email at his address, or the failure of his web presence to be stable long enough to support basic communications is a strong indicator that there is trouble in river city. Is the committee still in operation and when will we see evidence of its overall effectiveness?

4) Its obvious that there are problems both with the FB site and the hotel reservation process. What can we do to help get this problem addressed?

5) if we dont hear something concrete that includes more than one day of cruises then we will be forced, reluctantly, to begin planning our own regional event.

People are not going to schedule limited vacation time, and commit to spend ~$1000 in order to attend basically a one day event that has demonstrated a total lack of effective communication. The communication is so poor that we cannot even judge the adequacy of the plan because we do not know what the plan is.

:willy::leaving:

So, for anyone who may be able to contact Martin, feel free to communicate to him that if we do not hear something before Jan 1 we will be forced to make other plans.:grouphug:

#103 · (Edited)
Finally someone has explained why I had the distinct feeling that there was an 800 pound gorilla in this room.

Now I can try to try to look at this thing objectively. I want to go. 6 days on the Interstate road for a 1 or 2 day ride on fun roads is a lot. Meeting a group in Denver a few days ahead of time for some side trips on the way to Flagstaff sounds like a lot of fun.

Maybe I'll make up my mind when I see a list of the names of a dozen or more volunteers on the committee. Right now, I'm on the fence.

#105 · (Edited)
You can find more information on this event and the rides they have organized to come into the event at Home . Click on rides, upper left to see the maybe organized rides coming to this event.
Still not enough information and it appears there is only one day of runs (Friday) but things could change.

#106 ·
I recommend we share our thoughts with Martin. Send him a pm with your thoughts and make a positive contribution:thumbs:

#107 ·
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.