Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2013 NASSM Selection thread

14K views 106 replies 34 participants last post by  MomsSol 
#1 ·
there has been a lot of discussion on Facebook concerning the selection of a site for 2013 NASSM and a bunch of us want to move this process forward ... here is a quote from Martin Scott - Phoenix SKY-SOL Club:

The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club had an event this morning and all members who showed up were given the opportunity to provide feedback for the possibility of them hosting 2013 in Flagstaff. All were very excited and some are already tossing ideas around to build a mock event schedule... I can say with out a doubt that if Flagstaff is chosen for the 2013 NASSM there will more than enough volunteers to plan, promote, and execute what would definitely be a great event!

we have solicited via FB for any other group that might have an interest in hosting the 2013 NASSM and The Phoenix SKY-SOL Club is the only group that has stepped forward ...

ANY GROUP that wishes to host the 2013 NASSM should post to this thread NLT March 1st 2012 ... if we have no other groups wanting to host then we will have the 2013 NASSM in Flagstaff AZ.

#4 ·
Too far for us, but I support them. :)

The West is due and if MI did 2014 that would be perfect for us in Ontario. :thumbs:

#6 ·
:agree::agree:

#7 ·
2012 East of Mississippi (EoM) ... 2013 West of Mississippi (WoM) ... 2014 EoM in Michigan?? ... 2015 WoM in ?? ... perhaps the beginnings of a Long Term Strategy to keep our Kappas Rocking and Rolling into the Future!!:yesnod:
Sounds like some of us need to move Mississippi so that we can go every year!

Spelling wise I'm close....Mississauga....:glol::rofl::crazy::lol:

#8 ·
We had an MKC winter get together last weekend and the topic of sponsoring a National Event was discussed. At this time we had very few that are willing to commit to the time required to do such an event. One big problem is that we do not have the great cruising roads that they have in mountain areas. MI roads unfortunately are maintain terribly. Our best locations would be in the upper lower MI with summer being zooie around there, plus accomodations would be difficult along with being 300 miles into MI with few ways to get there.
I'm sure there will be more discussion. Let's see what other locations come forward.

#9 ·
Mike,you are right on many fronts; however, you do have a few wild cards in terms of organization... KY and I were members of 2011 and have a strong desire to bring that vibe to MI. It ain't the roads. Few states offer the topography that MI provides in so many unique ways. Heard the same vibe from Austin and they had some cool Hill country stuff (I drove both in the quest for roads. Great stuff in the hill country but great stuff here using the same standards of discovery.. It ain't the commitment of time... So many are willing to step up.... And the roads? MI is awesome..... We have twisting on the deep river cuts and rises on the sand dunes from the inland oceans known as the great lakes.

When MKC is ready to represent and take this on, it will be great. Just a matter of location...

#10 ·
Howie: I know you are here and will do much to get something going but we just have to get more people motivated. As I said I'm sure this will be more discussion. When we get you off the snow twisties maybe we can discuss.

#12 ·
Same as I posted on other forums:

What it really boils down to is this: If the Arizona group is confident that they can pull off a national style event, and find and support enough activities to keep a national level turnout of Kappa owners satisfied and enthusiastic, then they can announce their intention and run with it.

There is no group of Kappa owners that has any authority to tell them they can't have the event(s) or even any authority to "award" a NASSM to them. Both Austin and Asheville were done this way, Austin turned out well, and 5 months from now we'll know how well Asheville went.

All the events before Austin were "sanctioned" by NASSOA, which dissolved after giving all its remaining funds to the Canton group.

#13 ·
DaveOC : Same as I posted on other forums:

What it really boils down to is this: If the Arizona group is confident that they can pull off a national style event, and find and support enough activities to keep a national level turnout of Kappa owners satisfied and enthusiastic, then they can announce their intention and run with it.

There is no group of Kappa owners that has any authority to tell them they can't have the event(s) or even any authority to "award" a NASSM to them. Both Austin and Asheville were done this way, Austin turned out well, and 5 months from now we'll know how well Asheville went.
Good points, Dave.

I agree that a National in Arizona is a great idea, especially given the apparently strong group there that is interested in hosting it. It certainly answers the concerns expressed last year about the lack of western events.

One difference this year over the past two is the "tone" of this announcement. Previously, the event decision has come after an open discussion about possible locations, ending with a consensus-type decision. This announcement is just that: "We are going to do this, and everyone else has two months to speak up or get out of the way." Is this bad ? I don't know. Probably not. But it is different.

It is true that there is no formal entity that sanctions our National, but the community can express its displeasure when the decision was not to its liking, and has done so.

#14 ·
There is a page on facebook where the potential sites for 2012 has been discussed for several days.

All are free to join in there.

#15 ·
Rob means 2013 :willy:

:agree: Yep, it's been a lively discussion there fer sure

So far most of the clubs west of the Mississippi and Mississauga :lol: have liked the idea of Flagstaff and the AZ group's willingness to host the 2013

#16 ·
rob the elder : There is a page on facebook where the potential sites for 2012 has been discussed for several days.
So another difference this year. This forum has historically been the "official" communication channel for the community. Other forums exist, and have existed, but this is where the "real" conversations happened. Is this just a further diffusion of the lines of communication, or is it the beginning the end of a shift away from the forum ?

#17 ·
Is this just a further diffusion of the lines of communication, or is it the beginning the end of a shift away from the forum ?
This can be a topic for a whole other discussion in another thread, but let's not hijack the discussion going on here.

Suffice it to say, If I want to reach as many people as I can I now need to post in at least 4 places: Solsticeforum, skyroadster, kappaperformance, and facebook. (and to get all the Texans, in solstice-forum)

#20 ·
GrandpaSolstice : I don't quite get the Mississippi thing. Asheville is 500 miles from the Mississippi and Flagstaff is 1,300. Oklahoma City is about the halfway point between the two. .....
The Mississippi river, while not the geographic mid line of the US, is very nearly its population mean line.

The population mean point of the US has been moving westward since 1790, and this year is near a town called Plato Missouri.

#21 ·
Interesting fact..Thanks!

#23 ·
Seems like some Flagstaff Kappas should attend Asheville event with their cars. I think it is great that they are willing to take on such a big project as a National meet in 2013. Hopefully we can keep these events going for many more years.

#24 ·
Congratulations on 2013 Martin. There's no need to fly anyone out To Asheville because we are not having a sit down Banquet at 2012. But we will if announce and pass out any information and flier or cards that you may have to advertise the event.

#25 ·
2013 Nationals

Flagstaff sound great, I for one am greatful that many regional Kappa clubs are willing to plan and bring to life these yearly events. There will always be people that for whatever reason don't like or can't make a certain location, but the logistics of finding a location that will be good for all is imposible. I have made it to all the Nationals since I bought my Kappa (Colorado, Canton and Austin). And am looking forward to Ashville this June. Hopefully we will be having these discussions for many years to come. Think spring:cool:

#26 ·
Congratulations!

I look forward to my first Nationals since Denver. Its been killing me to miss Ashville. Sounds terrific.

Lots of fine scenic driving roads around Flagstaff. Thanks for stepping up and making this happen. :grouphug:

#27 ·
flagstaff sounds great for 2013, too far for us, but enjoy... Now Michigan in 2014 :)

#28 ·
I will chime in for Flagstaff in 2013. Color me there.

#31 ·
According to the Flagstaff Convention and Visitor's Bureau, the weather is perfect. Temperatures in June are pretty moderate and the monsoon season doesn't start until July. Remember, Flagstaff is in a forest on a mountain. This is not Phoenix. The only thing that might bother me is that they don't switch to Daylight Savings Time so the sun sets pretty early, even on the longest day of the year. I haven't even been to Asheville yet and I'm already getting excited about Flagstaff!

#32 ·
Flagstaff sounds great!! Good roadtrip from here.

I just wish I could make it to Asheville since it's so close, but once again, work is getting in the way of my fun..... I'm a definite for Flagstaff in 2013...or as close as I can be to a definite...

#35 ·
REAL long drive from Toronto....but we are giving it serious thought after attending NASSM 20112!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.