RMSSC National 2013 Draft Plan - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Clubs, Events & Regional Discussion > Mountain - Prairie
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 09:08 AM   #1 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
RMSSC National 2013 Draft Plan

We have scheduled the week of 17 through 21 June to attend the Nationals in Flagstaff Arizona. The plan is to travel on Saturday to Grand Junction, spend the night enjoying each otherís company, then traveling to Flagstaff on Sunday. The trip is about 700 miles and will require close to 12 hours travel time which is why I broke it up to be a two day trip each way.

Currently the official event is scheduled for 20, 21 and 22 June. That is Thursday, Friday and Saturday. There is still a lot of conversation about the specific schedule, for example currently they show no activities on Thursday, one day of cruises on Friday and a car show on Saturday. We have asked them to add more opportunities for cruises and are hopeful that they will do so. In any event, we are planning on the following schedule:

Saturday 15 June: Travel to Grand Junction
Sunday 16 June: Travel to Flagstaff
Monday 17 June: get some rest, see the local sites of Flagstaff, do some shopping and relaxing.
Tuesday 18 June: Group breakfast, day cruise, group dinner.
Winslow shopping and viewing
Meteor crater Meteor Crater

Wednesday 19 June: Loop Cruise Sedona
This includes Sedona - Shopping
The Sedona Red Rocks Scenic Byway
http://www.redrockscenicbyway.com/redrock_map_lg.pdf
Thursday 20 June: Sign in for Event, meet the venders, view cars, socialize. Optional cruise to Painted Desert.
Friday 21 June: Grand Canyon Cruise. Friday night car show light show
Saturday: Car show and depart for home
Sunday: arrive in Denver

Am looking at alternative accommodations to save money and increase attendance. Have found several very close to the offical hotel. Here are two examples

Days Inn Hotel
Days Inn Flagstaff I-40 | Flagstaff, AZ *86001 Hotel
from $77.59 USD

Econo Lodge
Econo Lodge University, a Flagstaff, AZ hotel near NAU

$63.75 USD

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 12:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Rob, I think the Red Rock Canyon video is from the Red Rock Canyon outside Las Vegas.
Sure looks like it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks anyway for posting these options while in the Flagstaff area.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by STVZ CARZ View Post
Rob, I think the Red Rock Canyon video is from the Red Rock Canyon outside Las Vegas.
Sure looks like it. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks anyway for posting these options while in the Flagstaff area.
I did not know that there was one near Vegas. I did a search and this came up. I did not follow it through completion but . . . the terrain looks very similar from Phoenix to the Canadian border so . . . .

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-26-2012, 06:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Are you going to miss the Awards Banquet?

Last edited by rob the elder; 12-26-2012 at 06:46 PM.
SolNut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:50 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
Are you going to miss the Awards Banquet?

When I looked at the site I did not see a banquet.

If its after noon on Saturday then we will miss it. We have most of teo days travel and need to be at work Monday morning. Maybe the committee will take travel time into account and start events earlier in the week and leave Saturday as a travel day.

The current schedule favors those who do not have to travel multiple days to attend. It would be nice if we could follow the Austin pattern of weekend travel and several days of cruising.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-27-2012, 06:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Rob, Austin did have a great plan and execution. Fit us perfect and we certainly enjoyed it.

I, like you, do not understand the three (3) day Nationals. Actually TWO! With only one day of runs it actually has a Regional taste to it.

Sherry and I will be in early too, currently scheduled for Wednesday, but we could change it. We are going to run 191 northbound from Clifton, AZ and would like to see the Petrified Forest again and the Painted Desert too, and see it from the opposite direction from when we went to the Vegas Nationals. We tried that trip to stop in Winslow on that trip, but the weather was so bad we couldn't . So that is on the itinerary too. Got to get the picture!

The big ditch is always fun to see again, last time we took two bites and saw both a sunrise and sunset, not sure when this trip, thinking about doing the Northside on the trip home.

Each National Event has a driving destination associated with it and from what I can tell Jerome is the driving destination this time, we will get-r-done. Might be Thursday?

We have a Sunday departure scheduled.

Our route home is a multi-day through Vegas via 66 and then some of Utah.

Too many roads and not enough time.

Steve
Old 12-27-2012, 07:45 AM   #7 (permalink)

I agree about the schedule. It looks like a normal regional that is optimized for the people in the Phoenix club. Not meant as criticism just an observation. One of the attractions of the Austin event was we had 5+ days of having fun for a 4 day travel investment. That was an acceptable return on investment for us. By showing up on Monday we are getting the same return for this event. Hopefully they will provide more events on more days but even if they cant for what ever reason, we are full capable of entertining ourselves.

Let us know when you are arriving and we can join you on your cruise.

I would love to be able to participate in the car show, but by having it on Saturday that pretty much eliminates it for us. It takes me a couple of hours to set up and tear down the display and we have to head out by noon in order to get to work on Monday.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #8 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Rob, working on a Route and time for 89A (Jerome), I can remember being with my dad on a Cali trip and he was not impressed, but then it was night time in the '50s with bias plys.

List..everyone loves lists..of the Nationals [must] DRIVES:

2006 Kansas City,MO __ I-70 Raceway
2007 Nashville, TN __ Hanging Limb
2008 Las Vegas, NV __ Red Rocks
2009 Broomfield, CO __ Trail Ridge Road, RMNP
2010 Canton, OH __ T2TR & 555
2011 Austin, TX __ H2R & The Sisters
2012 Asheville, N.C. __ Devils Whip & 19W

Steve

Last edited by SolNut; 12-27-2012 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #9 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff to Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff - Google Maps If you have Google Earth >>>>Run it in 3D !!!!!!!

Here is a fair plan to start with. I would run it clockwise, the drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 is nice down to Camp Verde (Great gas mileage too! )

Depart 10AM, lunch in Prescott Valley, has a bunch of places that are National Chains, and then back up the hill to Flagstaff through Jerome, Cottonwood and Sedona. Total ~4 hrs. More time if shopping/stopping is included.

Looks like fun to Me!

Steve

FYI. If we decide to see the Big Ditch, we will run this one counter clockwise. http://goo.gl/maps/4G07E

Last edited by SolNut; 01-10-2013 at 11:35 AM. Reason: 3 D
Old 12-27-2012, 05:29 PM   #10 (permalink)

I like your runs and we don't have a problem doing our own runs. I just want to make sure we find all the nice roads getting to the locations. There will be a few of us making the 1900mile trip to Flagstaff and we haven't decided what route we will take to get there. Currently scheduled to arrive on Wednesday but we could change. There should be four to eight of us coming from MI and we will be looking for runs and seeing the sights. The routes and ideas that Steve & Rob have are great and we may join you if the meet organizers don't get things organized.
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,side grill & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover,GMPP CAI&tune, Probeam/Backbone,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar inserts,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, probeam & backbone
WickedMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Steve: I've printed both your Sedona and Grand Canyon runs and they look really nice. Probably will run one of them on Thursday and then another on Saturday. Thanks for sharing with everyone.
09 WickedGXP9-25-08 Auto, Red calps,shorty antenna,windscreen,side grill & bkup light covers, leather armrests/console & door pockets,de-badged, pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover,GMPP CAI&tune, Probeam/Backbone,Clear bra,garage opener in header, JPM lumbar inserts,SOLO Mach Shty cat bk
09 Aggressive GXP Coupe 4-16-14, #577, Auto,soft top,Red calps,GM tune,GM acc whls,Conti Xtreme contact tires,pulsing 3rd light,red eng cover, probeam & backbone
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 PM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

Thanks Mike, but they need some refinement...Bio-Breaks and a real lunch destination but I believe they both will work.. Both are short enough to run w/o fuel stops.

I kinda lean toward the Jerome run for Thursday. I thought about running it both ways, but not sure of the tourist traffic even on a weekday. Plus the drive off the hill to Camp Verde might get you 75+MPG....LOL. When we went to the Vegas Nats in '08, the foreign traffic around Flagstaff was something to behold. Packs of them in Rental RV's getting in the way everywhere anytime. Was a toss-up on who was worse, Asians or Europeans.

The organizers only have one day listed for runs, got to get some hydrocarbons burnt up on the other days.

Rob has some great ideas for some Runs too. We just need to get the show moving.

Happy New Year
Old 01-07-2013, 11:07 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff to Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff - Google Maps If you have Google Earth >>>>Run it in 3D !!!!!!!

Here is a fair plan to start with. I would run it clockwise, the drive south from Flagstaff on I-17 is nice down to Camp Verde (Great gas mileage too! )

Depart 10AM, lunch in Prescott Valley, has a bunch of places that are National Chains, and then back up the hill to Flagstaff through Jerome, Cottonwood and Sedona. Total ~4 hrs. More time if shopping/stopping is included.

Looks like fun to Me!

Steve

FYI. If we decide to see the Big Ditch, we will run this one counter clockwise. Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff to Radisson Woodlands Hotel Flagstaff - Google Maps
I actually looked at this route. It looks very interesting. Build the details and we can do it with you.

Looks like we will not lack for cruises even if they are not "official".

Anyone heard anything about a banquet?

I have seen no updates thus far.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 01-07-2013, 11:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

Rob: You and Steve are the only ones planning on this site. Looks like some real nice runs that steve has put together. I plan on running those also and hopefully can join in with you guys if timig is right. That's if I can keep up!!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:49 PM   #15 (permalink)

LOL

We are in the "old people crusing" class. We take our time but still have fun. Anyone can keep up. Unless we schedule a banzi run . . .

I am thinking we ought to put together our own schedule of events for Monday through Thursday with cruises and coordinating instructions before too long. Then people can know when and where to show up if they come early.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.