cts-v brembo calipers installed - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Mods - Handling / Chassis / Suspension / Brakes / Steering
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2012, 07:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Thomas
cts-v brembo calipers installed

I was going to wait until it was completely done and I tested them out.. but I couldnt resist.

We've been working on making the cts-v brembo calipers fit on the stuck hub knuckle. the hub knuckle had to have some machine work done in order for this to all fit properly.

My friend did all the machine work. He has made a lot of various custom things for nissans, and toyotas, mostly for drifters. He recently made a bracket to put cts-v brembos on a 240sx, and wanted to try to put a set on a solstice.

CTS-V calipers, with Z06 14" rotors.

Stock brake setup

The brake setup cost me about $600 and that's include the rear calipers. Which we have not started working on yet. Machine work was free

Well plus I needed brake pads, racing pads I got were about $240, but street pads are under $100.

1x Caliper pin kit - ~$21 (pair)
2x CTSV Calipers - ~$110 (each)
2x Z06 rotors - ~$100 (each)
1x Street pads - ~$100 (pair)
1x Racing pads (HT10) - ~$240 (pair)
2x Banjo bolt 10mm x 1.00 - ~$4 (each) *verified 10mmx1 from napa + copper washer ID:0.40 OD:0.65" *

I needed new tires and my wheels wear pretty scratched up so I got some Enkei PF01 18x8 +40 with some Nitto NT01s. The stock wheels and even my other aftermarket wheels (Moda 18x8 +45) would not fit with this brake setup but the PF01s fit without spacers.

Weights:
New
CTS-V caliper: 8lbs
Z06 rotor: 26lbs
Enkei PF01: 18lbs
TTl: 52lbs

Stock
Stock caliper: 14lbs
Stock rotor: 17lbs
Stock Wheel: 26lbs
TTl: 57lbs

My Old
Stock caliper: 14lbs
EBC dimpled rotor: ??lbs
Moda MD2: 28lbs
TTl: ??lbs

Last edited by Thomas; 03-28-2012 at 08:40 PM. Reason: I sounded like an ass not including my friend who did all the measurements and machine work
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2012, 07:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

What kind of work needed to be done? Did you have to fab up some hub adapters?
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, Norm's ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

SOLD
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

no, just hub work..
The hubs caliper bolt holes had to be slightly slotted about 1/16th of an inch, and milled down some to center the rotor to the caliper. I have pictures, I'll post them later tonight.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
What tracks are those?

And why the heck are you doing this on cinder blocks rather than proper jack stands?
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

That's a great price! Did you happen to get any weights while you were working? The idea of shaving 10lbs on each corner is a huge (the only) reason I've been eyeing one of 'bbk' options. That would be tremendous.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #6 (permalink)

from bottom to top:
Hallett
MotoSport Ranch
Texas Motor Speeday
Eagle Canyon Raceway

I don't remember, I started on this a couple months ago. I'm sure at the time there was a reason that made it the better choice.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I don't have a nice scale so I cant tell you the exact weights.... wait, actually I have a scale at work I can probably use one day.

I'll get the weight of the stock caliper vs cts-v sometime next week.
The rotor is going to depend on a lot of things. The stock Z06 (ones I have) are VERY heavy, 26lbs. That's another reason I got new wheels the PF01s are 18lbs. The modas I had on there were about 28lbs.

I wont be saving any weight going with this setup, most of the weight is because of the rotor size difference. Stock rotor is 11.6" and these are 14"

If you want to try to save weight, you could go with the brembos from the new cobalt's. It costs about the same, maybe a little less. and from what I hear no modification are needed to the hub knuckle. but I think the rotors are only 12". There is a thread in here somewhere about it.

It would be hard to upgrade the brakes and lose weight at the same time, our calipers are already aluminum. Really the only way I could see losing weight is by using a two piece rotor. Using an aluminum hat should shave off 8-10lbs. Which is what I will probably end up doing after these Z06 rotors are gone.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:20 AM   #8 (permalink)

Pictures of the hub modified.

Old 03-22-2012, 09:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas View Post
I don't have a nice scale so I cant tell you the exact weights.... wait, actually I have a scale at work I can probably use one day.

I'll get the weight of the stock caliper vs cts-v sometime next week.
The rotor is going to depend on a lot of things. The stock Z06 (ones I have) are VERY heavy, 26lbs. That's another reason I got new wheels the PF01s are 18lbs. The modas I had on there were about 28lbs.

I wont be saving any weight going with this setup, most of the weight is because of the rotor size difference. Stock rotor is 11.6" and these are 14"

If you want to try to save weight, you could go with the brembos from the new cobalt's. It costs about the same, maybe a little less. and from what I hear no modification are needed to the hub knuckle. but I think the rotors are only 12". There is a thread in here somewhere about it.

It would be hard to upgrade the brakes and lose weight at the same time, our calipers are already aluminum. Really the only way I could see losing weight is by using a two piece rotor. Using an aluminum hat should shave off 8-10lbs. Which is what I will probably end up doing after these Z06 rotors are gone.
Thanks, I didn't realize the weight difference in the larger rotors.

With the 'big brake kits' available by vendors on this site, I've seen savings of 10+lbs per corner with larger calipers and (i believe) same-size rotors but due to the $3k price-tag i've never given it much thought.

I hadn't even thought about brakes at weight savings until reading those threads (already have 18lb SSR wheels) and want shave as much as possible below the spring.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Any solid mount caliper setup from another car is going to be as heavy or heavier than the the current stock setup. Most of the time being brembo with the occasional pbr. Then the solid rotor adds insult to injury. The wilwood calipers can be as crazy light at 4lbs a piece (depending on the one you get)

And the stock setup on the kappa is steel caliper/steel carrier in the front and the rear is aluminum caliper /steel carrier.
ophidia31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 11:46 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Pictures of the hub modified.

That's not bad at all. Not that much material removed, and looks like any type of rotary tool with abrasive wheels should have no problems taking off the extra aluminum.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2012, 12:55 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ophidia31 View Post
Any solid mount caliper setup from another car is going to be as heavy or heavier than the the current stock setup. Most of the time being brembo with the occasional pbr. Then the solid rotor adds insult to injury. The wilwood calipers can be as crazy light at 4lbs a piece (depending on the one you get)

And the stock setup on the kappa is steel caliper/steel carrier in the front and the rear is aluminum caliper /steel carrier.
oh I found out the rear was aluminum, when I striped the bleeder hole. I assumed the fronts were also aluminum. But I guess not. Someone told me the ctsv brembos were aluminum, but I'm not too sure, they have some decent weight to them.

I'll get the exact measurements from my machinist on the amount that was taken off.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

stilts my friend created to make sure the hub is up and level.

About to slot the caliper holes.

caliper mounted, this is before some of the knuckle was milled down to line up the Z06 rotor with the caliper.

Last edited by Thomas; 03-28-2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:08 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon Sky View Post
That's not bad at all. Not that much material removed, and looks like any type of rotary tool with abrasive wheels should have no problems taking off the extra aluminum.
I wouldnt do that. You need to make sure that theyre 100% level (like the machinging he just showed) or else youre in a world of problems. A floating caliper can make up for slight variations, a solid mount cannot.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
oh I found out the rear was aluminum, when I striped the bleeder hole. I assumed the fronts were also aluminum. But I guess not. Someone told me the ctsv brembos were aluminum, but I'm not too sure, they have some decent weight to them.

I'll get the exact measurements from my machinist on the amount that was taken off.
No doubt the cts calipers are aluminum. If they werent, holy crap would those things be heavy. But with the size of them, youre probably breaking even over the heavy stocker up front. The rotor is where youre gaining all your weight.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.