Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Lowering

15K views 48 replies 25 participants last post by  RedDevil 
#1 ·
I would like to hear from anyone who's lowered their solstice.

What did you go with, what size wheels/tires, how you like it, etc!

I'm starting to look at my options and would love a staggered wheel set, but have not found many that I like!

Thanks in advance and I can't wait to see what you've all done!

#3 ·
I went with the sportline springs (2in drop) I love it...it looks extreme but retains close to stock feel. Koning Traction wheels 18x7.5 :willy:

#11 ·
The na and GXP springs are different.. Eibach has 2 kits one is 1.3 and the other is 2" IMO if you are going to lower go all the way:)

#12 ·
For springs, sportlines are the way to go! If I had more $$ I would have gone with coilovers but I'm very happy w\ the lower drop, it looks amazing!! And ride is still good and speed bumps should be exstinct like dinosours:lol: and raised inclines ...:ack:

#14 ·
I got the side stripes from autozone of all places... Most of the vinyl stuff they sell is kinda ricer and cheap...but these look great!

#23 ·
I'm still undecided myself about lowering mine. The car is my daily driver and there is a ton of construction around here. My last car was lowered, but even then it was not as low as the Sol in stock form. Seeing these pictures really makes me want to go for it. I'm not too concerned about ride, I'd rather a more firm ride then being too soft and bouncy as some springs can be. H&R makes springs for the Sol as well, but I haven't seen anyone mention using them.

I'm interested to hear more and see more pictures as well because this is all helping me decide.

#24 ·
Adjustable ride height is a good option. Several of us have BC coil overs and can adjust height, stance, preload as well as rebound rates.

I have been running them on Punisher for several years. Go check out the threads on lowering fron a couple of years ago. Lots of good info there.

#25 · (Edited)
Wow, lots of seat of the pants info here. Some better than others at least.

The cheap coilovers don't do winters well (if you have them). A friend ditched that cheap stuff because of those issues.

Here's a pic of KW V3's. The best out there IMO before full custom builds. This was about 2.75 inches drop. I brought it back up about an inch to handle better overall on the street and AX.

I ended up with about 1.75 inch drop with an aggressive street alignment as per that thread on this forum.

The more moderate drop pic here

#26 ·
Here are some of Punisher at various heights. One of the advantages of BC is you can move it up and down when you wish.

Attachments

#33 ·
Get Mysti out of the shop tomorrow. Hood dents gone and new front facia and passenger-side grilles. Having the front arrowhead emblem and bump removed. (A nose job.). Anyway, while she was up on the rack, I was looking around underneath. I see some damage to the exhaust flex coupler and a couple other spots from rubbing over speed bumps. She's lowered 1-1/2", and I supposed she's settled a bit more than that. I have BC coil overs as well.

Rob, did you have The Punisher realigned each time you changed the ride height?

#27 ·
Both cars look great! I do like the idea of adjustability, although I'm not sure it will be necessary for my driving needs. I know if cost wasn't a factor I would definitely go for coilovers. The cost factor is what's appealing of just going with springs.

#28 ·
Has anyone bump steered a Solstice? Ground clearance considerations aside, I wonder if dropping one a couple of inches wouldn't introduce some unwanted bump steer.

#31 ·
In my case, the only difference that I noticed was a bit harsher ride because of the reduced travel. I noticed no difference in steering.

I reduced the preload on the springs which helped but it is still noticably harsher than stock.

#29 · (Edited)
You've asked that before and I'm pretty curious as well. If so, I wonder how that factored into GM's upgraded spring/shock packages which max out between 1.5-2" lower as well.

edit: I've been satisfied with the Sportlines for the past few years but have been meaning to try SnapOnBob's (iirc) DIY adjustable coilover setup with the stock Bilstens and some fancy spring perch assembling. Anyone else try something like that for height adjustment?

Whatever happens, in my eyes anything's better than the stock 4x4 setup

#30 ·
It's pretty routine to check this when building a race car, and I just figured that one of the serious solo or race guys would have done it, but I guess they aren't watching this thread!

#36 ·
#38 ·
Eibach Pro(gressive) on my 2006 Sol...

Other info in signature... Cheers!

Attachments

#43 ·
We still haven't heard from anyone that seems to know how badly lowering the cars screws up handling by introducing bump steer. Aren't there any racers or slalom types out there that have been through this?

e.g. Solstice Rear Caster - GM Techlink

#48 ·
Here is my Coupe on KW V3's. Actually had it an inch lower and absolutely no issues with tires rubbing but as someone mentioned previously, we couldn't leave it that way for fear of speed bumps, etc. Switched rims to provide clearance for Brembos up front. I will have the car posted for sale soon - buyer can tell me if he wants the car as-is or if he/she would prefer the OEM set-up all of which I still have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.