Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

LV front brace fail installation

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  silversolstice 
#1 ·
Yes, I've read the instruction and threads. Removed the passenger side bolts, and the driver side top rail bolt easily. But when it comes to the lower driver side rail bolt; nada. I can barely get my fingers on it, let alone a box end ratchet.

There's a air box on the 2.4 driver side that I thought I could remove to make access to the bolt easier. its held on by two molded in plastic tabs, and two torx bolts and a upper hose clamp. Unfortunately, the front torx bolt just free wheels after being loosened, making removal of the air box impossible without breaking the tabs.

Air box pic
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/...1130867249-gains-cold-air-intake-dsc02470.jpg

Couple question, is it easier to get to the driver side lower frame rail bolt from under the car?

And when installing the brace is it best to start sliding it in on the passenger side or the driver side?

#3 · (Edited)
All you have to do is pull the air box out. Just pull on it and it will come loose from the rubber things on the frame rail bolt. As long as you have unscrewed the main tube from the throttle body, and the air filter box. you should be able to just pull it up and out. To re-install, just push it back down. I have had trouble getting it to go back down once the LV brace is on. So it just sits there now. :D

#5 ·
You also need to contact DDM and ask them for the pieces you need to get your resonator back on, once you install the Venom Brace on your NA.

#6 ·
Resonator? The installation instructions on DDM website don't reference anything about a resonator?

BTW, recommended to install from passenger side to driver side? Installation instruction don't specify.

Probably going to postpone installation for a few weeks. Since i bought the brace bundle package used I'm thinking of having them powder coated bright red. The LV brace is silver and looks fine, but the Pro beam is black and has surface rust.

The tunnel brace was easy to install because I dropped the exhaust. Plus it has some history, it has several signatures on it from Kappa Performance Forum mod members, including that it was installed during their 5th annual mod meet.

#8 ·
Is actually the other way from driver side to passanger side. If you have a helper then it makes it even easier for them to guided through.

#11 ·
I recently helped a friend install on e on his RL. It was very easy. One bolt went on easier because I have a ratched box end wrench.

#12 ·
I've put the LV installation on-hold. I bought a used Probeam this past winter and it has some areas of rust on it (probably from road salt). Plus recently received WERKS new F&R adjustable swaybars. So I've decided to take everything in and have it powder coated red.

I already installed a used WERKS red race backbone that has several initials on it, along w/stating it had been installed at the 5th Annual Maryland Mod Meet. I didn't want to mess w/the backbones history, plus keeping that provenance should add thousands of dollars of value to the car.

#13 ·
i just installed my lv brace on my stock 2.4. Now the airbox cannot be installed properly because one of the tabs sits on top of the brace.

The instructions didn't mention removing the air box, but that was the only way I could see the the driver side bolt.

PS:
I just drove the wheels of my Sol and I love the bundle, but DDM should have hired a tech writer or had their wives install the gear and wrote down the instructions. The instructions for all of the gear was a little vague and made the 30/60 minute install unlikely.

#16 ·
All you need to do is get the spacers DDM provides to fix the issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.