Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Performance Lowering Springs

10K views 29 replies 15 participants last post by  Sol.Man 
#1 ·
Hi Solstice fans! Hope everyone is doing well! The reason for this post is that we here at Sprint Performance suspension has developed a lowering spring kit for the Soltice. I wanted to get some feed back from you enthusiasts. Do many people upgrade to performance lowering springs? What are peoples concerns? Have they heard about Sprint? We reallly appreciate your feed back! Thanks!

#2 ·
It is hard to give feedback to a product that has never been tested by a member. As for some of the Q's you asked. There are alot of solstice owners who change out their springs to a Eibach kit. They are the only other lowering spring on the market right now that most of us know about The other way to go is with a KW coil over setup or a B+G Gravana setup. Other then that we are stuck with stock springs.
Concerns- hitting the bottom of the car and the front bumper. the car already sits really low. So it isnt a good idea to lower it more then 2inchs.

#5 · (Edited)
Deleted----------

#9 ·
Hi there, I've installed a set last weekend, the rear sits lower than the front. Wondering if I installed the correct ones in the front and back. I installed the longer ones (more coils)at the front. Haven't tried them on the road yet, should try them next month once winter is finished.

#10 ·
I just had these installed tonight. I had a shop do it for me and they had the same problem. The springs are not marked front or rear. But the mechanic was pretty sure that the "progressive wound" tighter springs as he called them went in the front and that the wider spaced coils went in the rear. The tighter end faced up and the lager end faced down. The rear ones looked like the stock ones in appearance. At first when the car was set down from the rack, it was even all the way around. After I drove it home, got out and looked at it again, the rear had dropped allot more than the front. I was told to put about 500 miles on them to let them "settle" in properly. Seems to make sense, but so far visually it doesn't look right. I'm hoping the front drops about half an inch more. Any one else have these springs?

#11 ·
Sorry. I have no experience with them. But when I first adjusted the height on my BCs I had it level and it did not look right to me either. Mine settled maybe a quarter inch. Good luck

#12 ·
I'm interested to hear more as well because I'm still trying to figure out what I want to do for lowering my car. From what I found online, which wasn't much, these springs appear to be less expensive than other options.

#13 ·
Well after driving around more today the fronts have settled a little bit more and I actually like the fact that while the car is now lowered, it still has enough ground clearance at the front so that i don't have to worry about it scraping speed bumps or low curbs. I still have to me careful with large speed bumps and steep driveways, but they are not as severe as the Eibach springs I had on my first Solstice. The Eibach sportlines were to aggressive in the front and I had problems with rubbing all the time and un-even tire ware on the inside. These sprint line were cheap and do a great job safely. I can always add a rubber spacer between the rear coils if I want the rear to match the front more too. But for now, I'm happy with them.

#14 ·
Wait so these springs make the front higher then the rear?

#15 ·
I'm wondering the same thing, but that's what I've taken from reading this thread so far. I'm interested in pictures to get a better idea of what the drop looks like. Also where can these be purchased? I can't find anything online.

#16 ·
The car is lower all the way around. And yes, the front is still slightly higher, but just about .05" more. I will post pictures as soon as the weather here in Texas clears up. I want to show off my new 20" Enkie wheels too.:)

#17 ·
Dave lists BCs for $1024. I got them on a group buy for less than that. I like the fact that I can adjust them when ever I want.

I like the fact that the rear is slightly higher than the front. Gives the car the look of movement while standing still.

:thumbs:

I hear you about speed bumps and dragging the front end. I finally gave up and raised my car enough to make sure I could drive into my driveway at home without dragging something every time.:willy:

#18 ·
I considered coilovers, but I'm in college and can't afford the price tag. For me eliminating the massive wheel gap is what I'm after.

I'm definitely interested to see pictures of the sprint springs installed because at this point I am deciding between these and the B&G springs. I can get the B&G for $185.99 shipped and they say 1.75" drop all around, but I haven't found anything about them on the forum or anywhere else as far as people's experience with them on the Solstice.

#20 ·
I considered coilovers, but I'm in college and can't afford the price tag. For me eliminating the massive wheel gap is what I'm after.
What you all should be at is to lower for appearance sake, WITHOUT compromising handling. Until someone bump steers this suspension we won't know how badly you are screwing up your handling just so the car looks tough.

I'll second Rob on the BC shocks - excellent product the equal of those made elsewhere for 1.5 - 2 X the price.

#21 ·
#25 · (Edited)
It may be harder to see with those fat 18 inch meaty tire you have there, but I can still see what appears to be a slightly higher few mm in the front. I have your springs I bought from you installed on my car with 20" rims and low profile tires. It looks much better today. Ride height dropped a few mm after i drove it around and put about 150 miles on it.
Here is just one of my photos I took today. I am going to start a new thread showing more. Look for my BLACK WIDOW PROJECT PHASE 1 posting

#22 ·
That does look good! Do you have any input on what others are saying about the front sitting higher than the rear?

#23 · (Edited)
Silverfox,
I did not notice that problem. My car had the same chasis height from the ground on all four corners.

Theory One: For some, they indicated that the rear seemed lower but when the chasis distance to the ground was actually measured on all corners, it was even. They attribute this to some sort of optical illusion.

Theory Two: I know of at least one person who installed the springs incorrectly. The kit does not come with instructions so the installer has to guess which is front and which is rear. This did result in the front being higher than the rear. If I can remember correctly, the longer springs go in front and the shorter, wider springs (with two differnt wind patterns) go in back. Verify this first before installation.

I liked the springs but they were still a bit too low for my taste and the roads I drive on so I decided to upgrate to the KW Variant 1 adjustable Coil overs. I now have the rear 1/2 inch higher than the fronts and I really like that stance more.

Anyway, those are my theories. Hope it helps.
John G

#26 · (Edited)
I have these Sprint springs on my car, I've had them on for about a year now.

Like some others have said, the front sits slightly higher than the rear. At first it kinda bothered me but I got over it quick. If the fronts were any lower it wouldn't be possible to daily drive, I daily drive mine and it scrapes on the deflector all the time on many entrances. The scraping doesn't bother me because it's just the plastic deflector that scrapes and not the actual bumper, anyone who's owned a low car is probably used to scraping on entrances and exits.

I noticed much better handling over the stock sport option springs (I think FE3?) even before my alignment, then I had the car aligned with more aggressive specs and I couldn't of been happier with the springs + the alignment.

Do not change the springs without getting an alignment done, you'll wear out your tires very quick then have a much more expensive bill waiting for you. I've read about people wearing out tires within ~50-100 miles on a misaligned car, so it's not one of those things where you can say it can wait a little while.

I'd say I've been very happy with my Sprint springs, I'm going to be switching to coilovers soon, probably the BC racing ones. But I'd buy those springs again or recommend them to anyone who wants an aggressive drop.

The car sits very low, if you don't want such a dramatic drop you should probably try the Echibach(sp?) springs, which are I think 1.25-1.5 inch vs the 2+ inch drop these Sprint springs will give you.

I purchased mine off of eBay for I think $109 with free shipping, at the time it was less than half the price of any of the competitor springs, though the quality certainly seemed top notch out of the box and have held up fine so far for me.

#29 ·
Well i installed my sprint springs a few yrs ago, ill have to go out to the garage to verify which springs were installed where, but i too have the issue of the rear sitting lower than the front... Not an optical ollusion.... reality, the rear arch sits about flush with the top of the tire while in the front there is about .5-1" space between the tire and the arch. Rear is so low, i cant get the proper alignment in the rear, otherwise it will rub on the arch. The rear still has room for adjustment to get better alignment, but cannot, I installed a resonator right under the back bone, and it rubs on speed bumps if i dont take them at a 45 degree angle. The Front however, with the springs installed the camber is maxxed all the way out and i still cant get a proper alignment, so much that my tires are wore pre maturely on the insides. I read on another thread that the it sags because of the KONI Yellows i have installed. From what everyone is saying i doubt all you have the Konis installed with the sprint springs. But yes, my car doesnt sit straight....

#30 ·
Rx4thesol, where do we get further instruction from??? I cant even get a response from SPRINT about this, I went out and looked, i have the springs with the tighter wound section in the front, with the tighter wound section up front, and the springs with the same spaces between the coils in the rear... How did everyone else do theirs, i want to say i have the 2'' or the 2.5" drop... For those that have a level ride, which springs were installed where?? Maybe this will help others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.