Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - collapsed caliper - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By raygun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2017, 11:33 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to raygun
Unhappy Whiskey Tango Foxtrot - collapsed caliper

And, the #1 thing I did not expect to see after completing a 100 mile drive home this morning:

Somehow, the hub or caliper has moved, and the caliper and rotor were having a spark-generating party. I didn't hear anything weird until about a block away from home. It would explain why someone was driving in my blindspot for 5 minutes, probably live-streaming sparks on YouTube.

Anyone have a spare Wilwood 4-pot FSL sitting around?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	caliper.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	239.8 KB
ID:	66321  

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, GMPP cat-back, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted and drilled rotors, DDM braces, BR Racing coilovers, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, DDM oil catch can, Autometer boost, water and AFR gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-R HID headlights, GReddy Profec boost controller @ 13PSI, custom A-pillar gauge pod.
In progress: custom fiberglass trunk lid.

Currently on engine #4!

Last edited by raygun; 02-14-2017 at 01:35 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:07 AM

What let go???

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-14-2017, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sly Bob View Post
What let go???
I'm not sure, haven't had the time to take it apart yet.

There are only a few possibilities, though.

1. Either the rotor has moved - and thus the hub and wheel bearing - which is NOT good, or
2. The caliper has moved, which would require loose caliper-to-bracket or bracket-to-knuckle bolts.

The position of the pad in that picture looks weird to me, but I couldn't really get a good look at it. The pedal does not feel good and the ABS light came on, so *something* else is going on.

I'll find out more this weekend. I'm just glad I made it home without losing the wheel or the brakes. I should probably reconsider that whole "I don't need a parking brake" position.
Steelmesh likes this.

Blue-ish 2006 2.4, Werks stage 1 turbo, GMPP cat-back, TCE Wilwood 6 piston front brakes, 4-piston rears , Stainless brake lines, slotted and drilled rotors, DDM braces, BR Racing coilovers, Spec aluminum flywheel, Spec stage 2 clutch, Werks aluminum radiator, DDM oil catch can, Autometer boost, water and AFR gauges, RKSport hood, Morimoto FX-R HID headlights, GReddy Profec boost controller @ 13PSI, custom A-pillar gauge pod.

Currently on engine #4!

Last edited by raygun; 02-14-2017 at 11:32 AM.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I finally found time over lunch to jack the car up.

Fun:

One of the three hub bolts was completely gone, the other two were loose.

I had the hub off when I put the ARP studs in several months ago. I know I torqued those down with the torque wrench. At least, I thought so.

I can just see all three bolts coming out and the wheel rolling past me on the road. Now, torqued with lock-tite. I'll recheck them after driving around for a bit.

Currently on engine #4!

Last edited by raygun; 02-16-2017 at 01:12 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:34 PM

Hub bolts have been know to loosen. Mainly, I think, on cars that are autocrossed.

I assume you re-checked the others also?

John
Lexington, KY
Sky VIN 00252 Manual Midnight Blue
Sky Redline 2008 Manual Carbon Flash

Information about the 2017 NASSAM: https://kappasinkentucky.wordpress.com/home/
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 03:37 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnWR View Post
Hub bolts have been know to loosen. Mainly, I think, on cars that are autocrossed.
Well... I've been doing a lot of that. :/

I haven't checked the other wheels - very busy day. (But I haven't been driving it - benefit of working from home.)

I also had the RH rear hub off to install the ARP studs. (I had to put spacers on to clear the rear brakes, so I went ahead and installed longer studs.) If I messed up one side, odds are the other isn't perfect.

On the plus side, that wonderful creaking sound I've been hearing when backing out of the driveway went away.

I am smrt. S-M-R-T.

Currently on engine #4!

Last edited by raygun; 02-16-2017 at 03:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode