Best place to get a dyno tune for my 07 gxp in or near Florida. - Pontiac Solstice Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 05:07 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Best place to get a dyno tune for my 07 gxp in or near Florida.

Hey everyone,
I hope you and your cars are doing well. I am wrapping up my modding of my car soon (getting the 5th injector kit and an intake), and was wondering if there were any reputable tuners that you all would trust to do a dyno tune.

Right now I am running with a trifecta tune, but I have always been worried about it, and would like to have one done specifically for my car. I am located in central Florida near Orlando. I also want a shop that knows what they are doing with these cars, because I find it hard to trust shops around here with my car. (I have done everything up until this point, but I want a couple of issues ironed out for good.

Any advice or a shop that you guys trust would be greatly appreciated, because the only shops around here are honda based, or look at 4 cyl's and laugh because "we can't handle the power."

Thanks all!
~Zach, and the Raging Sol

I do it for the cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 AM

Here's my dyno tune advice/experience. I have one. Is it the best for my car? No. Dyno tunes are meant for one type of driving style only.....pedal to the floor all the time. I was going to say something else, but figured RTE would edit it!! My advice to you is to get hptuners (or find a tuner that will data log your driving), do some drives while data logging and have someone help you with your tune. Especially if you still have not modded your car all the way. Don't waste your money on a dyno tune until you are completely done modding. Also, as someone here learned, don't put major equipment (turbo, 5th injector, etc...) on your car and not have it tuned immediately!!! Items like exhaust, intercooler, ic piping, HFC are okay with not tuning. If you do decide to dyno tune....2 words....errr....statements of advice....
1 - Make sure the shop has tuned LNF motors and that the people are satisfied. While the Cobalt SS and HHR SS had the LNF, the tuning for our cars is just a tad different (FWD vs. RWD). MAF tuning can be tricky on our cars if you have a CAI. Smoothing that out can be tricky as the tuner that did mine found out.
2 - If you cherish your car, DON'T WATCH IT!!!! I had a very careful tuner. After he put the base tune in my car, he ran it up to 70mph in 5th gear, checked all the parameters and listened too and felt for anything odd. Then he did the actual pulls. And believe me...watching them wind your car out at 129mph (redline of 4th gear) is pretty tough. You sit there waiting for the big KABOOM.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 08:52 AM

Garage
What Trifecta tune do you have, the basic one? That's fine for some very basic mods but risky if you have swapped turbos etc, which it sounds like you have.

If you have the custom Trifecta where it gets fine tuned after a data capture on an acceleration run (or several) that seems to work well - it took Vince 3 or 4 refinements until he was satisfied with mine, and it's been running great for the last 7 years.

You can do the same with HP Tuners, and there are great tuners that use that platform out there.

I have to agree with Ghost that the emphasis on most tunes done on the dyno is the most power they can get without blowing anything up (probably) and drivability comes second. The guys that do remote tunes tend to pay more attention to how the car drives or they wouldn't get any repeat business.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1958 MGA Twin Cam (race car)
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
Mods at http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...thread-102178/

Bill in BC

Last edited by wspohn; 02-10-2017 at 07:07 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-10-2017, 07:04 PM

What mods do you currently have?

LUSIFER has been Sold
I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:24 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Hey guys, sorry for the delay, this week has been extremely busy.

Elff- I have
a GT2871 turbo from DDMworks,
DDMWorks Charge Tubes,
a Synapse BOV,
a DDMworks intercooler
a catless downpipe,
a solo street race exhaust,
and may be getting a 5th injector kit soon

I also have a few other things like a DDMWorks Clutch, and a big brake kit from Performance Autowerks (they don't really matter for a tune though)

Wspohn - My tune was included in the bundle with the turbo, bov, charge tubes, and intercooler. I do actually see track time with my car, do you think the custom Trifecta tune would be a good idea still?

The_Ghost- When I drive my car I drive very aggressively. My foot does go down to the floor frequently, and with the 5th injector and the possibility of e85 I will be done with it until it does go Kaboom. Then its time to go crazy inside. My eventual goal for it is to see around 500 at the wheels. Nothing set in stone, but where it sits I still want more power. Any advice as to someone to get with about hptuners?

I do it for the cars.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 05:34 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutoff_King View Post
Wspohn - My tune was included in the bundle with the turbo, bov, charge tubes, and intercooler. I do actually see track time with my car, do you think the custom Trifecta tune would be a good idea still?
Depends on who did the tune you have and how good it is.

It would be nice to be able to take some data runs and have someone look at them. QWas the tune you have an HP tuners based tune?

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe
Recently departed: 1965 Jensen CV8, 1969 Lamborghini Islero S, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Bill in BC
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 PM Thread Starter

Garage
It was a Trifecta based tune, however there were no runs, I am assuming it was a basic one set up with ddmworks for that set of products.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-16-2017, 07:42 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutoff_King View Post
It was a Trifecta based tune, however there were no runs, I am assuming it was a basic one set up with ddmworks for that set of products.
In that case I would definitely go for a custom tune.

Trifecta did 3 revisions of my tune before Vince got to what he figured would be ideal, based on data captures.

Current fleet:
1957 Jamaican bodied MGA
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1969 MGC roadster
1971 Jensen Interceptor
2007 BMW Z4M coupe

Bill in BC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode