Competitive Mode? - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:14 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GODROD View Post
For you Veterans - You are in a unique position in that you are the keepers of knowledge and guides or historical curators to theses awesome cars. But more than that you spark the imagination and kindle the fires of Kappa Love! I know it can sometimes seem like a thankless job and may get tiring at times. You deserve great praise and don't always get it. [...]

So please hang in there!
It does often seem like a thankless job, GODROD. But thank you for the kind comments. I have no problem with answering the questions that I can from those who have at least put some effort into it themselves.

As they say "God helps those that help themselves" (not at all trying to imply that I'm God - extremely far from it!)
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2012, 08:55 AM   #17 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Don't let him fool you, TomatoSoup IS God.

The problem with new members that don't bother to search is that often times there are well-stated and thoughtful answers to the questions you have - readily available in crusty old threads - or in threads that are "sticky-d" right on the main page. These are responses that some old veterans put a fair amount of thought and time into banging out.

So the veterans get cranky because they're tired of trying to come up with the same thoughtful responses to the same old questions time and again. Problem is we truly have forgotten more than a some will ever know about these cars - even though the answers are all right here. We've forgotten because we're no longer concerned about the things a new owner might want to know - and they'll never know because we're unwilling to dig up the answers FOR them.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, 07 Boss.
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #18 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
I didn't "tell you how to log on" I simply suggested that you do (the some of) us who tend to try to answer all the questions that crop up the courtesy of at least trying to do some of the work yourself. Again, I did say that google (or bing/whatever) will throw search terms up on this forum, often far better than the forum search will. I'm sure your iPhone works with that.

As for being an Ass, I took the time to do the search FOR you in your original question. Then you start on a completely different, simple question to which I reacted. Sorry you took unkindly to it.

Well, that's a little backhanded, don't you think? So now you threaten us with taking your $$ and going home? Please.

If the forum has to "stay alive" by newbies not putting any effort into understanding their cars, but wanting to be spoon fed the answers to the same questions over and over, then let it die.

When I got my car, I read through the thousands of threads that existed at that time to see what knowledge was there and find out things I didn't know and many that I wouldn't think of even asking. Even now if I have an issue, I will do a thorough search (as far as I can) to see if the answer is out there. I guess it makes me an 'Ass' to expect the same courtesy from others. So be it.
Thanks, TS, for taking the time to describe how many of us old-timers feel about others that don't bother to at least try and find some answers before shotgunning us with questions.

If a newbie or short-timer asks questions without any indication that they have tried to find an answer, I have a tendency to just skip over the question and not bother to answer, figuring that someone else will take the time to answer.

There are a lot of people out there whose search skills are limited and the basic search on the forums is also somewhat rudimentary. Without learning how to use google on the forum, it is quite difficult at times to find anything.

'nuf said. Time to move on to another question somewhere else.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:45 AM   #19 (permalink)

Maybe Ass was not a good word to use and for that I will apologize, but it was all I could come up with. It just felt like you were talking to me like an 11-yr old in pigtails. I do do a lot of reading my searches and looking through the gallery. And I will usually read up really carefully on tech stuff before posting up questions but sometimes stuff just pops into my head as I'm typing and I just ask what's on my mind. I searched engine covers and read a few old threads. Nowhere did I see mention of the sound deadening stuff under the cover and as far as painted covers only saw a couple of pics. It's all just about going through the motions. I mean how many threads is one supposed to read before posting up a question? I read about 5-10 looking for answers and then go to posting. Is that due diligence? IMO it is. It's not my first forum. I tend to be pretty active and contribute when I can and understand that answering all the newbs questions can be tiresome. I don't know how many times I've answered what the proper wheel offset is for a 10" rim or will this exhaust be too loud. And if I don't feel like answering again I just ignore it. But it is the "talking shop" part of the forum experience that I like so I tend to be a bit more chatty and yes, converse about things that I have talked about over and over. Again, name calling was my bad, just seemed like you went out of the way to berate me about using the search and I took offense. Again something we shouldn't really do over the internet because it is so hard to determine intent with just words on a screen.
And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the knowledge anyone, especially senior members, have to share. I'm like a sponge with the attitude of always something to learn. That is why I am so inquisitive and tend to ask a lot of questions. I try and stir up conversation on topics that maybe aren't that interesting to you because it's been gone over so many times, but is important to me. Just look at the action this thread has had since I stirred the pot a little bit. More responses in the last 12 hours then I got in the last 2 days, nice.
And I don't think that my comment about the paid membership as a snide backhanded comment. Or if it can even be considered a threat to anyone, was just voicing my feelings.

Anyways, let's play nice before someone gets their eye poked out or something.
Old 11-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #20 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Example
google search solstice engine cover solstice forum

Plastic engine cover

engine cover

Engine Cover

Remove engine cover ?

Engine Covers

Painting Engine Cover ??????

Same terms, Skyroadster forum

Engine cover--painting - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

2.0 SIDI Engine Cover - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Painted my engine cover - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 45 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
Maybe Ass was not a good word to use and for that I will apologize, but it was all I could come up with. It just felt like you were talking to me like an 11-yr old in pigtails. I do do a lot of reading my searches and looking through the gallery. And I will usually read up really carefully on tech stuff before posting up questions but sometimes stuff just pops into my head as I'm typing and I just ask what's on my mind. I searched engine covers and read a few old threads. Nowhere did I see mention of the sound deadening stuff under the cover and as far as painted covers only saw a couple of pics. It's all just about going through the motions. I mean how many threads is one supposed to read before posting up a question? I read about 5-10 looking for answers and then go to posting. Is that due diligence? IMO it is. It's not my first forum. I tend to be pretty active and contribute when I can and understand that answering all the newbs questions can be tiresome. I don't know how many times I've answered what the proper wheel offset is for a 10" rim or will this exhaust be too loud. And if I don't feel like answering again I just ignore it. But it is the "talking shop" part of the forum experience that I like so I tend to be a bit more chatty and yes, converse about things that I have talked about over and over. Again, name calling was my bad, just seemed like you went out of the way to berate me about using the search and I took offense. Again something we shouldn't really do over the internet because it is so hard to determine intent with just words on a screen.
And don't get me wrong, I appreciate the knowledge anyone, especially senior members, have to share. I'm like a sponge with the attitude of always something to learn. That is why I am so inquisitive and tend to ask a lot of questions. I try and stir up conversation on topics that maybe aren't that interesting to you because it's been gone over so many times, but is important to me. Just look at the action this thread has had since I stirred the pot a little bit. More responses in the last 12 hours then I got in the last 2 days, nice.
And I don't think that my comment about the paid membership as a snide backhanded comment. Or if it can even be considered a threat to anyone, was just voicing my feelings.

Anyways, let's play nice before someone gets their eye poked out or something.
Boss,
While I applaud your joining the forum, and I appreciate the fact that you are interested in the interchange of ideas as well as technical information, in the interest of peace and harmony, I am taking this opportunity to offer you something to think about.

Many of us have been members of this forum going on 5 years. Some for 7 years.

We too enjoy both the technical interchange as well as the positive social exchanges. To many of us, we have become friends and have been sharing our thoughts literally for 5 years or more. While most of us have never met face to face, we do have a pretty closely knit group that has been exchanging with each other over the long haul.

Donít think of this as something new and fresh where everyone else has the same expectations. Think of it as you moved to a new neighborhood and wandered into a local pub that has been in existence for many years. And it has a lot of patrons who have been coming there for years and years. As you enter the door, everyone turns to look at you as the new guy and sizes you up.

What reaction would you get if you were to bang on the bar and loudly ask ďtell me everything you knowĒ without first bothering to learn the ways of the group. Shaking a few hands and getting to know the old timers. Letting them get to know you.

And how would you react if you were the old timer and someone new walked in and started calling one of your old timers names?

I mean, it just is not conducive to a healthy, long term relationship.

We all appreciate that you are seeking information. And many of us are more than willing to help point you in the right direction. We also have a lot of history with the website and know that the search function just sucks.

So when people are offering you advice to please use Google and search the forum, itís not pejorative or negative about or to you. Itís just that we have all seen new people come into the forum, not find what they are looking for using the search function and then we end up doing what they could have done in the first place. And while it is interesting to us to share information that we KNOW is there, after the 10th or 100th time, it kind of gets old.

In my five years as a member we have never sent anyone away without the needed information, but itís kind of a rite of passage to the inner circle to a) figure out how to find info and b) how do they react when you give them advice that they may or may not want to receive.

Seriously, canít we all just get along?

Go read this. Itís your homework assignment. Then come back and lets have a group discussion about what you have read.

Forum Decorum

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #22 (permalink)

Well said!

I know you might think TS came off harsh on you, but he is one of the most helpful forum members I know of across multiple forums I visit religiously. And like others have mentioned, you're asking what we would consider "old news" with tonnes of threads with all the information you're looking for, without having to wait for answers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is search before you post. Perhaps even link to those posts if you want additional/follow-up information. You'll get much more of the discussion you're looking for.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #23 (permalink)
Founding Member

He is no question, but I think we should try to be more patient with the newbies.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
He is no question, but I think we should try to be more patient with the newbies.
I don't disagree and I always try to make sure that every one gets an answer if I know one exists. On the other hand, new people have a responsibility to the long time members as well. . . . just saying.

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-28-2012, 01:27 PM   #25 (permalink)

Send a message via MSN to Mayhem
OK Case closed! Now for the burning question in case I missed it in all the hub-bub. Are you or are you not a big busted red headed dancer/cocktail waitress at Vegas' best strip club?
Old 11-28-2012, 02:34 PM   #26 (permalink)

Remove the cover and the cardboard junk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07 Boss View Post
I pulled the cover off of my engine and there was this cardboard type material over the motor. Is this necessary?
By no means "necessary."

Many have pulled the plastic engine cover with no ill effects.

With a little cleanup you might be surprised what you find under there?
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #27 (permalink)

Old 11-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #28 (permalink)

A good old fashion Drag Race settles everything..........
GMADIGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 06:09 PM   #29 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post
By no means "necessary."

Holy Cr*p, KK!!!
That is a BEAUTIFUL looking engine bay!
09SkyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post
By no means "necessary."

nice chrome pipes! and overall cleanup
i have started to clean up mine as well, will be polishing the stock charge pipes with "mothers polish"
Antenna Delete
Eibach Sportlines 2" Drop

Future Mods:
Trifecta Tune
Solo Performance Street-Race
Hahn Intercooler
Slik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.