E-85 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2012, 05:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

E-85

I have the econontune allowing either E-85 or 91 pump gas. Yesterday I found a station that sells E-85 and since My 09 tank was almost empty, I filled with it. The firsrt thing I noticed was the relative low cost at $3.04 per gallon and 91 octane, called flexfuel. I put in most of a tank.
When I drove home, I noticed it running crappy unless I put my foot in it and then it seem a big improvement in power. Have I done something wrong?
Dave
Gatorgetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 06:30 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorgetter View Post
I have the econontune allowing either E-85 or 91 pump gas.
Either you're tuned for pump gas or e85, the ecm's range for adjusting itself from pump gas to e85 doesn't exist in our ecm.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

What Shabby said. It is important to make sure you have your tune for a specific blend of E85 and pump gas. Please talk to whoever you purchased your tune from to verify what blend of ethanol it was created for. I would recommend a 50% blend of E85(E70 in winter) and 50% pump gas. You are risking running your engine way to lean if not tuned for your mixture.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

So, do I need to worry about hurting something and need to dilute it down or drain it? Or can I just drive it easy and gradually replace it with 94?
Dave
Gatorgetter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

Who ever told you can drive with e-85 and 91 is an idiot, I'm not sure what could happen but it's a bad idea. I would syphon it out unless you are actually tuned for e85
Naus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 09:03 AM   #6 (permalink)

Who or what company are you tuned with? Trifecta? They're the only ones that have a "budget tune" as they call it.
2007 Sky Redline: DDMWorks Charge Pipes & Intercooler, Solo Performance 3" Mach Shorty, ZZP S1 cams, Supertech Valve springs, BNR 2871, SPEC Stage 3+, Android "Torque" bluetooth RPD, HPT e47 tuned by TERM2. ???whp ???wtrq Dyno coming soon.
40rty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 10:21 AM   #7 (permalink)

What they all said...I have Trifecta's tune for E47 which is 1/2 E85 and half E10. My car runs stronger on the 50/50 than just premium only because it is tuned for it. Without the tune, you are not sending enough gas/ethanol/fuel to the engine making it run lean. Ethanol needs to flow about 30% more than gas to run properly. I would add premium fuel every chance I got and drive very easy until most of ethanol is gone.

On most factory FFVs, the efficiency of ethanol does not outweigh the cost meaning per mile costs of ethanol are higher than gas unless you really can get ethanol cheaper. In the midwest, ethanol is 15-20% less than gas but is about 25-30% less efficient so it is close but still loses. Here in the south, ethanol is 10% less than gas. I use 50% of it because I make more power. I was getting about 28mpgs with premium tune and now get 24.5-25 with half ethanol.
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founding Member

But he started the the post by saying he has a tune that allows E85 or 91 pump gas.
I am assuming he has to tell the tune which one he is running so the proper parameters are use for the type of fuel in the tank.
If the above is not the case then get that fuel out of the tank ASAP and replace it with pump gas.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2012, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

you could bump up the octane by adding a pint of toluene. I used it in my 1959 Lister.
Normally, race people run the octane that coincides with the compression ratio. We use an octane metering gauge to achieve the proper mix.

Bills86e
Bills86e is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 12:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

The Marine Corps said it will host a ribbon cutting tomorrow for the first "E85" fueling station in Hawaii that utilizes a blend of 85 percent ethanol and 15 percent gasoline.
"As always, we are excited to lead the way in conservation," said Col. Robert Rice, commanding officer of Marine Corps Base Hawaii. "The use of E85 alternative fuel along with 70 fuel-flex vehicles, three hybrids and 20 electric carts will drive (the base's) carbon footprint lower and decrease our reliance on imported oil."
"This ribbon cutting recognizes a major achievement towards improving stewardship of the environment, resource conservation and energy use," added Cmdr. Robert Michels, supply officer for the Kaneohe Bay base.
The Marines said while E85 has been available since the early 1990s, this is the first time the fuel is available on a commercial scale in Hawaii.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.