be extra careful when it rains. - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2013, 04:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

be extra careful when it rains.

*sorry for the long read*

... so i've always hated driving my GXP when it rains, because the car gets way too squirrely on the freeway. on some occasions, i've left it at home and rented a car to go to work. well last Tuesday, i should've rented a car.

i was on my way home(12.45PM) and in the number 2 lane. it had been raining for hours and it was coming down lightly. i hit some water and started to slide into the number 1 lane. i was then hit by a big Dodge Ram truck which spun me across the 3 left lanes. i hit the center median and was facing traffic while the car was taking up the carpool lane. the front was sticking out into the fast lane. when i hit the median, the whole car bounced up causing me to hit my head hard on one of the beams along the roof. had a cut about a inch long.

when the car stopped, i turned off my iPod(never missed a beat and was still going). tried to put it in reverse to even out the car, so i wasn't in the way of the fast lane(by this time, most traffic was stopped because of this). i could hear one of the wheels moving when i tried to accelerate, but the car quickly turned off by itself. open the driver's door to find that the back left wheel has the tire coming off and not quite attatched.

the truck that hit me, pulled over to see if i was alright. i told him we are not safe here just sitting out here in the carpool lane, so let's cut across traffic and onto the proper shoulder. when we get there, 2 CHP cars and a ambulance find us. we go thru the usual routine and answer questions. i call for a flatbed truck in the meantime. tow truck driver thinks car is totalled because he noticed frame damage.

fast forward to today. insurance company says it's my fault(which i assumed it would be). a insurance adjuster looked at the car and told me all the damagae he could see. he said at the minimum, the car has a estimated amount of $10K worth of damage which included suspension, tires, muffler, quarter panels, front & back bumpers, etc. just waiting to talk to the loss adjuster about my settlement check since car is going to be written off.

i bought my GXP in November 2010 with 15K miles on it. it now has 49K miles on it. this is the second accident it's been in since i had it. first one i was sitting at a red light and some idiot hits me from behind because he was wearing flip-flops and had both feet on both pedals. the car also was in at least 1 accident before i bought it. in any case, i will not be buying another Sol. i loved my car, but it's time to be moving on. not sure what i'll get next.

here are some photos:

Last edited by spooky; 03-25-2013 at 06:09 PM.
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #2 (permalink)

sorry about your loss. All 4 tires the stock goodyear's? I've heard nothing but negative on these tires and wet roads, and it sounds like it was totally your tires that caused the initial loss of control. I plan on getting rid of our goodyears but not in any hurry since our car will likely never see rain.
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5873 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

nuts...

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
sirwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
I was gonna say, if you're running the stock tires that's your problem. One of the first things I changed. Run my car all the time in the rain now.
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:28 PM   #5 (permalink)

Pull the grills off and send them to me--- I'll pay you for em'
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, Norm's ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

SOLD
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 05:53 PM   #6 (permalink)

Awwwwww..another bites the dust.....NOOOOOOO!!!!!

If it has frame damage, it's very very light frame damage. Usually frame damage would cause your doors to protrude and from the pics, I don't see that. Even the deck lid still fits between the 1/4 panels. Now that's not saying the trunk floor isn't bent or something, but all in all, it doesn't look that bad (for those of you that can do body work!!!)
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 PM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Sorry for your accident. It does not matter who is at fault, you pay for insurance to make you whole after any damage that e creeds your deductible.

This is kind of surprising. The NA factory tires are very bad in water but the GXP factory Gpodyears have a good rep. Many switched them on the NA cars back in the day. I have driven through blizzards with no problems.

Was your stability control system functional? I have seen it preclude similar loss of control events in the past.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 06:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

That damage will buff right out !

Seriously though - sorry for your accident. As Rob says the N/A tires were the ones with true bad rep.

My Garage http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/garage/1132
King-Oka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:37 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Sorry for your accident. It does not matter who is at fault, you pay for insurance to make you whole after any damage that e creeds your deductible.

This is kind of surprising. The NA factory tires are very bad in water but the GXP factory Gpodyears have a good rep. Many switched them on the NA cars back in the day. I have driven through blizzards with no problems.

Was your stability control system functional? I have seen it preclude similar loss of control events in the past.
But at 50K there probably was not much tread left. My wife drove her redline to about the same mileage and tread was about gone.

Hers - '08 Bluestone Redline. GMPP tune, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone, debadged (mostly).
brazen17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 07:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

spooky thread indeed.

Do you remember your comment in this thread, just a week ago, post 6?:

new tires for 2007 gxp
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5873 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Oh, certainly, the RSAs are crap, but I wasn't that much more impressed with the F1s that come on the GXP (NOTE: these are NOT the same F1s that most people buy aftermarket and get rave reviews. Those ones are MUCH better but also MUCH more expensive than many alternatives)
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-25-2013, 09:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

F1s are crap in the rain, when they are new, so toss in the mileage and you are hydroplane city.

Glad you are alright, that is the most important thing.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:00 PM   #13 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Well there you go...no rain on Punisher LOL

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadofax View Post
spooky thread indeed.

Do you remember your comment in this thread, just a week ago, post 6?:

new tires for 2007 gxp
yes, i do and Oceansol replied on the 19th which was the day it happened. my car was a DD so unless i rent a car every single time it rains(to expensive for me), have to drive it. yes, it had the stock tires on it. when i get the print out of all the damage the adjuster saw, i will post it here.
spooky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:37 AM   #15 (permalink)

"My father is a television repairman. He has the ultimate set of tools. I can fix it."

Glad you're okay Spooky. Pics of wrecked Kappas make my hair hurt!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.