be extra careful when it rains. - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 05:51 AM   #16 (permalink)

Re: be extra careful when it rains.

Glad it was not worse. Sure sounds scary to me.

Stock tires on every car I've bought in the last 20 years have been crap in the rain regardless of who made the car or the tire. The GXP is great in the rain with decent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App
GMPP Tune
LatinVenom Front Brace
Werks Adjustable Sway Bars
Enkei Ammodo Wheels
Michelin Pilot Super Sport Summers/Pirelli 240 Sottozero Winters
Hawk HPS Brake Pads
Sound Deadener Showdown
Beach Party Central Custom Fusebox Cover
JPM Arm Rests
Lead Foot!
Treeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #17 (permalink)

Sucks about your accident OP. Agreed with everyone else that it's night and day with a set of decent tires. Never had an issue from the moment I took the stockers off.
idkfa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #18 (permalink)

My humble advice to anyone else, with stock F1s on a GXP/Redline:
(I have been daily driving mine since 2008)

Ditch the F1s asap. I pulled them off my wife's car after the first year and replaced with Eagle GT Asymmetric. She drives in blood alley between Ft. Collins and Denver on a regular basis. (Looking back, I wish I would have pulled them in the first month) The F1s are an ok dry/warm weather tire. But quite frankly, they are not even great in those conditions. For a supposed "High Performance Summer Tire", my stupid old school BF TAs stuck better. And the rain groves on the F1s are very minimal. Fine for light rain, but as soon as you hit anything moderate to heavy, they just can not channel enough to do much good.

The GTs are far superior rain tires. And, they are stickier in dry/warm conditions than the stock F1s; which is amazing because you actually have less foot print because of the wider rain groves. But the rubber is gooier. The tread is waaay deeper, so very good water channeling abilities.

I burnt though the stock F1s on my car in about 30,000 miles of road time (summer only, I run snows in the winter). And after about 15,000-20,000 miles of road time; they became very unreliable in rain conditions. Hydroplane City. But I was aware of it, and took precautions. Besides, I am a cheap bastard, and like to get my money's worth. Now I am burning through my wife's left over F1s that I pulled off her car. I figure I have to more seasons, before they are down to cheater slicks as well. After that, I will finally get something decent for my car.

Believe me when I say, tires make all the difference in the world on these cars. My wife's Sky is completely stock, not even a tune. If I am following her through the twisties, she can walk on me like I am sitting still. My 80 lbs of torque advantage doesn't mean jack crap when she can stick like glue.

And if we both leave from Loveland to drive home to Ft. Collins in the rain at the same time, I get home 30 minutes later.
Old 02-26-2013, 09:02 AM   #19 (permalink)

Where the rubber meets the road . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
Believe me when I say,
tires make all the difference in the world on these cars.

The pre-production models and pre-release Auto Show vehicles all had the high performance Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires installed. When they started to come off the assembly line GM cheapened out and put RSAs on them and later put the slightly better F1 GS2s on the turbo kappas.
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:40 AM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post

The pre-production models and pre-release Auto Show vehicles all had the high performance Goodyear F1 GS D3 tires installed. When they started to come off the assembly line GM cheapened out and put RSAs on them and later put the slightly better F1 GS2s on the turbo kappas.
"Slightly" being the operative word. Anyone here knows the stock tires aren't the best (trying to be nice here) and the tread on those tires must have been getting pretty thin with that mileage if they were originals. The tires should have been replaced with something better a long time ago.

Glad you are okay.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!

Last edited by Sly Bob; 02-26-2013 at 09:45 AM.
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 AM   #21 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Good input.

I have had good experience with mine but I dont drive in the rain and only have 25k miles on the cars. And I dont want to hook up too much because I dont want to change out the rear axels.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM   #22 (permalink)

I hate you ROB! Now I wanna keep this damn car.
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, Norm's ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

SOLD
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 10:38 AM   #23 (permalink)

Rob kinda has that impact on some people.
Old 02-26-2013, 12:18 PM   #24 (permalink)

Scary, this tire thing. I'm on my winter set now (Blizzaks), great for this time of year, but I intend to change my RSA's come spring for Bridgestone 760 Sports. Any comments, anyone?
Geologger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM   #25 (permalink)

Rob @ 2:56 ...i really thought it caught on fire for a sec
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 12:27 PM   #26 (permalink)

Glad you're OK. Tough choice, whether to stay on the median in the rain or dash through traffic in the rain!

As you can already see, pay salvage for the little thing and part it out. Loads of cash. Lot of trouble, but loads of cash.
Oh yeah, Steel/Sand interior. Added K&N filter. Vent tube r/r @ 2850 mi. WindRestrictor added 12/12/06. Added high-tone horn. Painted engine cover. ECM retune 6/15/10. Added Vandesign B/U lite covers 12/07. Re-replaced seal due to recall 27570 mi. DDMProBeam added 7/2/08. Envious Emblem overlays. Kappasphere rear deck rack. DDM tunnel plate added 4/22/09. Solo Exhaust system, lit sills and HID conversion 5/1/10.
BellaVerde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 01:16 PM   #27 (permalink)

Yeah the stock tires on the gxp lift easily with hardly any throttle in the rain pulling out from a stop and turning. Sometimes it's fun to turn off traction control and have some fun, but for interstate driving it's definitely white knuckle on the stock tires. Need to get some new ones for mine eventually but luckily I don't do much interstate driving and can keep it on slow speed roads during bad weather. Hate to see one wrecked like that (especially black like mine) but glad you were badly hurt.
buffyfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 02:22 PM   #28 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
I hate you ROB! Now I wanna keep this damn car.
You should!

Send it to Dave. He will turn it into a MONSTER.

Then you will never want to be parted from it. Its like having your own personal thrill ride.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:14 PM   #29 (permalink)

I switched over to the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110's and they are very good in the rain.

Hers - '08 Bluestone Redline. GMPP tune, Magnaflow exhaust, DDM backbone, debadged (mostly).
brazen17 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 03:35 PM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to LiquidPT Send a message via MSN to LiquidPT
Quote:
Originally Posted by brazen17 View Post
I switched over to the Hankook Ventus V12 evo K110's and they are very good in the rain.
This is what I have and, even though they are MUCH better than the F1s, I'll be looking for something else when I need new tires. I don't know if I'm being realistic with the amount of torque I have and the more often wet roads than most, but I still kick the back end out regularly when going round a corner or spin the wheels when setting off from a light.
2009 Mysterious GXP Coupe #100
LiquidPT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.