GXP owner request [air filter information] - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 12:04 PM   #1 (permalink)
Per Diem Administrator

GXP owner request [air filter information]

Could one of you lucky SOBs with a GXP or RL open the air box and find out the part #/information on the air filter element in the car?

I'm trying to determine if it's the same one as the base car or not so we can figure out if the K&N filter will work in it or not.
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-15-2006, 12:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founding Member

Brentil I am going to do that tomorrow, I have the K&N and will take it with me to the dealership and try to see if it works.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.
No XM/OnStar and NO Spoiler.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
First 1000. Aggressive with everything, NO XM/OnStar. SOLD
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
LatinVenom is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 12:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
The 2007 Solstice owner's manual on line, makes no seperate listing for the air filter, GM part#15287103 and AC part# A3076C. Same as the 2006.

But the first edition of the parts DVD does (haven't uploaded September's version yet).

It shows the GXP as using a different number, GM part# 15925738 and AC part # A3084C.

Don't know if there is any real size difference between the two of them.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2006, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)
Founding Member

Thanks SD, sounds like it may not work, I will still try it and see if it does.
The filter would be different been a 2.0L vs the 2.4L but the air cleaner housing looked to be almost the same size and shape.
Air, $960; Chrome Wheels, $545; PCQ, Premium Package (Leather), $525; Radio, 6-Disc with MP3, $495; Monsoon, $395; Premium Acoustic Headliner, $150; and Sport Metallic Pedals, $115; all totals $29,180.00.

MODS (Magnaflow 2.5", BTF Turbo Upgrade wheel,DDM BB,ProBean&tune, Vntrshield, LVKFCB, JPM.
~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
Old 09-15-2006, 01:44 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatinVenom View Post
Thanks SD, sounds like it may not work, I will still try it and see if it does.
The filter would be different been a 2.0L vs the 2.4L but the air cleaner housing looked to be almost the same size and shape.
It also could be that the filter has more pleats. More pleats = more surface area = less restriction. Once again the same thing happens in the GM truck line, same size airbox, same width and length air filter, however the turbo diesel truck's air filter has twice the pleats. Look closely.

LV FWIW the diesel guys have tested the K&N against a high pleat count paper filter (factory) to find no gain with the K&N on flow however the K&N did not filter as well.

I dont want to start a bashing of these filters however in my experiance the off the shelf oiled cloth filters do allow small dust through more so than the paper filters in dusty enviroments. The intake tubes will look like talcum powder was used to coat them after time. I have checked several K&N equipped vehicles in dusty areas to find the same results.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:50 PM   #6 (permalink)
Founding Member

Thanks for the info I will check it out.
I do not have the problem of dust, so it would be easy for me to make a comparison by switching filters.

~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~
Old 09-18-2006, 02:09 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Could one of you lucky SOBs with a GXP or RL open the air box and find out the part #/information on the air filter element in the car?

I'm trying to determine if it's the same one as the base car or not so we can figure out if the K&N filter will work in it or not.
I opened the box and pulled the filter. There are no visable part numbers, unless ">PP-TD30<" is helpful. The filter measures 9 1/4 inches X 14 1/2 inches X 1 1/8 inch. There are 36 (very colorful) paper (?) folds. Here is what it looks like:

Lexterrae is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #8 (permalink)

I couldn't find any part numbers for the air cleaner listed in the Owner's Manual
Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 PM   #9 (permalink)
Founding Member

That looks like the K&N that I have would fit in it's place, my K&N filter has more folds than what is showned, but it has the same dimmensions,so it looks like the K&N will fit after all.
Thanks.

~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~

Last edited by LatinVenom; 09-18-2006 at 02:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
That looks like the K&N that I have woud fit in it's place, my K&N filter has more folds than what is showned, but it has the same dimmensions,so it looks like the K&N will fit after all.
Thanks.
More folds should equal more surface area. More surface area = less restriction for same level of filtering.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Per Diem Administrator

Quote:
That looks like the K&N that I have would fit in it's place, my K&N filter has more folds than what is showned, but it has the same dimmensions,so it looks like the K&N will fit after all.
Thanks.
Ever get this installed LV?
brentil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 09:09 AM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentil View Post
Ever get this installed LV?
Brentil:
I do not have my car yet, still at the dealership been MOD, the guy that I want to do the work got sick so it will be next week before he can start on it.
However I would say is a 90+% possibility that it is the same dimensions, based on that picture.

~~~~~~~
NASSOA
Founding member
~~~~~~~

Last edited by LatinVenom; 09-23-2006 at 02:22 PM.
Old 09-23-2006, 09:24 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to birdliver
filter

As S.D. pointed out the owners manual specifies the filter no. as being15287103 for g.m. and the ac delco part no. as a3076c. this is in the actual gxp owners manual, not only the on-line version.
birdliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks Bird, couldn't (easily) find it in mine!
Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #15 (permalink)

So did it work???

Hey folks, I really want to know about the K&N. Did the 2.4L air filter work on the GXP? I want to add one of those to my GXP and I am seeking your wisdom, please.
Im2damnsexy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.