Hi-Press Fuel Pump covered by powertrain warranty? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 08:56 AM   #1 (permalink)
mhh

Hi-Press Fuel Pump covered by powertrain warranty?

I'm having an issue with my dealer as to whether the hi-press. fuel pump is covered by the powertrain warranty.('07 GXP, 47,000mi) I've seen in previous posts where someone has gotten it done under warranty. Has anyone else had success with this? If so, does anyone know the code under which it was covered? Virtually every other piece in the fuel system is covered. How can a MECHANICAL piece mounted on the engine (without which the engine can't run) not be considered part of the powertrain? Thanks, Mark
mhh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2011, 04:35 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhh View Post
I'm having an issue with my dealer as to whether the hi-press. fuel pump is covered by the powertrain warranty.('07 GXP, 47,000mi) I've seen in previous posts where someone has gotten it done under warranty. Has anyone else had success with this? If so, does anyone know the code under which it was covered? Virtually every other piece in the fuel system is covered. How can a MECHANICAL piece mounted on the engine (without which the engine can't run) not be considered part of the powertrain? Thanks, Mark
IIRC the fuel pump is in the fuel tank and is covered under the powertran warranty.

This changed for 2010 models on though and they think it applies to you, it does not!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel.
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member

Last edited by MomsSol; 06-17-2011 at 04:40 PM.
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
IIRC the fuel pump is in the fuel tank and is covered under the powertran warranty.

This changed for 2010 models on though and they think it applies to you, it does not!
There are two fuel pumps in the GXP models- the high pressure pump which is driven by the intake cam, and the intank pump which is electric. The intank pump feeds the high pressure pump.

2010 Nissan Frontier V6 6spd 4x4

1992 GMC Typhoon
MGar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGar View Post
There are two fuel pumps in the GXP models- the high pressure pump which is driven by the intake cam, and the intank pump which is electric. The intank pump feeds the high pressure pump.
Oops...forgot the GXP part, sorry..but I believe it's still covered under the powertran warranty as part of the fuel system.

Hmmmm..seems I may be incorrect according to this information http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...ty-info-46211/

May want to call Customer Service and get a definitive answer.

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel.
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member

Last edited by MomsSol; 06-17-2011 at 06:57 PM.
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
mhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
Oops...forgot the GXP part, sorry..but I believe it's still covered under the powertran warranty as part of the fuel system.

Hmmmm..seems I may be incorrect according to this information 2007 GM 5/100 Warranty info - GM Inside News Forum

May want to call Customer Service and get a definitive answer.
Called Customer Service; doesn't look good, but I'm still fighting! There may be some leeway given to me based on the low mileage (their words) and the fact that the in-tank fuel pump failed the bleed down test and never tripped a sensor. Might have contributed to the hi-press. pump going bad, also the cat. converter (ALL OF THIS AT ONCE!!) Start again Monday! Thanks for the help; will keep you posted. Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 11:54 AM   #6 (permalink)
mhh

Still trying to get issue resolved. Now it seems that BOTH pumps are bad. In-tank pump not holding pressure on bleed-down test. My contention is that since that pump is supplying inadequate fuel to the hi-press. pump, that caused it to fail. GM customer service seems to be really trying to help, dealership seems to be the problem. Stay tuned!! Mark
Old 06-20-2011, 12:12 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
...dealership seems to be the problem. Stay tuned!! Mark
Well, "duh", Mark aren't all GM dealers problematic when repairing broken things under warrenty- They have this strange way of "splitting hairs" when it comes to factory warrentees. Good luck, buddy!
2008 Sly GXP (Z0K) Custom Tune, Dejon Precision 5557B Kit, Wiseco/ARP/K1 Built Bottom End, AEM Meth Injection, SPEC Stage III Clutch, DDMworks Backbone, Kappasphere ReBar, DDM Crossbrace, Custom Front Splitter, HKS SSQV, Norm's ZR-1 fenders, Cobalt SS BBK.

SOLD
Racer_X is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Well, "duh", Mark aren't all GM dealers problematic when repairing broken things under warrenty- They have this strange way of "splitting hairs" when it comes to factory warrentees. Good luck, buddy!
A little Birdie recently told me why the local service departments seem reluctant to approve warranty repairs. I don't know if this applies to all GM service departments, or just the one she was telling me about. But apparently the Service Department Manager of her dealership is paid an annual bonus, based upon on how FEW warranty repairs were made that year. If this is some kind of nationwide program set up by GM, then this finally explains the issues we have all seen getting warranty work done. It has always amazed me how difficult it sometimes seems with the process. But, if this is true on an industry level, then it all makes sense now.
GS Stage 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 01:36 PM   #9 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Thomas
sorry mhh, I've been out of town. I just got your message. I was able to get mine covered under warranty after calling the customer service. I still have the invoice, I just saw it a few weeks ago but I'm still out of town. I'll try to find the authorization number tomorrow.
But I would not drive around just with the low pressure one. I doubt it would damage the low pressure fuel pump, but may damage the high pressure fuel injectors or worse damage engine internals from detonation.
Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2011, 03:17 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Still trying to get issue resolved. Now it seems that BOTH pumps are bad. In-tank pump not holding pressure on bleed-down test. My contention is that since that pump is supplying inadequate fuel to the hi-press. pump, that caused it to fail. GM customer service seems to be really trying to help, dealership seems to be the problem. Stay tuned!! Mark
Mark - PM sent
Hardwired Radar Detector
Gentex Auto-dim mirror
OEM Bluetooth Upgrade
Integrated Homelink
Side Marker Signal Mod
Smoked Side Markers
GMR Sequential Turn Signals
GMR Fender Vent Lights
JPM Center Console
JPM Seat Belt Loops
WindRestrictor V1
WindRestrictor Lit Door Sills
Opel GT Rear Fog
Heated Seats
G2 Painted Calipers
Debadged
15% Tint

I am a GM engineer. All of my posts are my own opinion.
JET WS6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 AM   #11 (permalink)
mhh

UPDATE: Still fighting the dealership. But I have some help from forum members that might finally convince them that the HI-PRESSURE FUEL PUMP is part of the "ENTIRE PRESSURIZED FUEL SYSTEM"(per GM 5yr 100,00mi warranty). I'll keep you updated on status; hope this finally settles it. On July 30, my wife and I plan on driving to Key West, FL for a few days,(from New Orleans) and I have to restore my wife's confidence in the car. Again, thanks to the members showing concern and offering help. I own a 1980 Factory Kelmark GT (Corvair powered) that I did a ground up on, and the Kelmark forum has always been full of sniping and arguing; here its a positive experience. Keep it up!!! Thanks, Mark
Old 06-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)
mhh

UPDATE ON UPDATE!!!! They've come around, SIDI pump is covered under powertrain warranty. Thanks for all the advice and behind the scenes help, (Jason), I pick it up tomorrow/Friday. Couldn't have done it without you. Sincerely, Mark
Old 06-30-2011, 10:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Glad to hear you got it under warranty. I took mine in a few months ago and had it replaced with no issue. Of course they managed to screw up some other stuff I'm still fighting, but the coil and fuel pump they replaced no problem under warranty.
buffyfan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-01-2011, 08:13 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Stage 1 View Post
A little Birdie recently told me why the local service departments seem reluctant to approve warranty repairs. I don't know if this applies to all GM service departments, or just the one she was telling me about. But apparently the Service Department Manager of her dealership is paid an annual bonus, based upon on how FEW warranty repairs were made that year. If this is some kind of nationwide program set up by GM, then this finally explains the issues we have all seen getting warranty work done. It has always amazed me how difficult it sometimes seems with the process. But, if this is true on an industry level, then it all makes sense now.
Very interesting!!

So the less they help customers with car problems the better off they are? Gee, any manufacturer with an attidude like that might end up going broke. Oh, wait a minute....
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #15 (permalink)

JET WS6, can you post the instructions on direct wiring for you radar detector?
TIA
Travis
tstriblin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.