Latest Best Product for Rubber Seals & Trim? - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Sting Ya

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Latest Best Product for Rubber Seals & Trim?

I read all the older posts this subject, however as "the times they are a changin'' what is the best product on the market today for cleaning, treating, and preserving all those hard (impossible) to replace rubber seals? My neighbor who has an auto detail business swears by Armor All 17451 Outlast Trim and Plastic Restorer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2017, 02:40 PM

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
As a rule we don't use anything Armor all. It leaves a film they is not good for plastic long term

I use dielectric grease for rubber seals. Very inexpensive and works well

I use Adams VRT for vinyl and tire shine for tires and running boards on my truck

We are scheduled to visit Adams near Boulder in May. In the past he has had great cash only sales and he does great demos

Rob the Elder

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 48 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
Punisher thread index
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...ml#post1765649

Last edited by rob the elder; 04-16-2017 at 02:44 PM.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2017, 11:04 PM

I go to my local Home Depot and in the plumbing department they sell silicone grease which I use on all my rubber trim I do it once in the spring and I'm good for the year .I have also used dielectric grease with good results as Rob said stay away from Armorall I quit using it for the same reason it leaves a greasy film and I think the stuff is overrated .
rob the elder likes this.

Last edited by Sting Ya; 04-20-2017 at 10:45 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 03:21 PM

I recently started using this product. Haven't been using it long enough to establish whether it's any good. I got mine from Amazon. https://www.goldeagle.com/product/30...eal-protectant

'07 Sky
2.4L
5 speed
limited slip
chrome
leather
bright interior trim
Monsoon audio
AM/FM/XM/CD changer
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-20-2017, 07:40 PM

Hello,

Unless something has changed since the mid-1990s, Armor All is silicone with an emulsifier to thin it. They bought the silicone from Dow Corning (I used to work there as a student, and Dad retired from there after 35 years). It won't hurt anything, but there are probably better products. I used it on the door gaskets on my 1982 Chevrolet S-10 truck until I replaced them in 2007. They were worn/mashed flat but weren't deteriorating. Same with the interior plastics. It does make things greasy, so don't use it on steering wheels, or at least thoroughly wipe it clean afterwards.

I've tried a few products on interior plastics but haven't settled on anything.

I did try Nextzett Gummi Pflege Stift on the weather stripping. It comes in a small bottle with an applicator pad. I don't know if it's any better than anything else but it was easy enough to apply. The bottle looks a whole lot like the product Rusty Boltz suggested.

GM suggests DuPont Krytox for weather seals but it is not cheap by any means -- a quick check says that a 0.5 ounce tube on Amazon is around $30. I haven't tried it.

Jay Vessels
2006 Solstice, Mysterious 5-speed
Lexington, KY
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 07:23 AM

I also am using dielectric grease. When using it, I find the temperature should be in the very warm to hot range. The grease just seems to penetrate better that way. I let it sit out in the sun for a while before wiping off.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

What about all the comments that dielectric grease collects sand, grit, dust, crud etc.?
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-21-2017, 10:44 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGXP View Post
What about all the comments that dielectric grease collects sand, grit, dust, crud etc.?
Once it has penetrated into the seal or weatherstrip or whatever you have applied it to, you wipe off the bit that is still on the surface?

I've never used it so I'm guessing.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode