Noise from Automatic transmission - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Noise from Automatic transmission

I'm wondering if anyone is familiar with this issue:

When I am driving at any speed and I hold the accelerator at what I would call the "neutral" position - light enough as to maintain your speed, and not so light as to be slowed by the engine - there is a very distinct whine. It sounds to me to be unmistakably hydraulic in nature. It sounds very much like the sound made by a power steering pump on some cars when you turn the steering wheel to its limits. Does this make any sense?

To further compound the issue, it only happens after the car has been driven for ~15 minutes. Before that, the sound is absent.

Can anyone help?
newrival is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2012, 03:29 PM   #2 (permalink)

Are you sure it's coming from the transmission? Have you tried altering the cabin heating fan and verifying that's not the cause?
Old 12-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

Yeah I bet if you turn the fan off, the sound goes away.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 04:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm certain because I've turned off the fan to discern where the noise is coming from. Unless I am misunderstanding what you mean by the cabin fan. I am assuming you mean the fan controlled on the dash for the heat and A/C.

Also, I should mention the sound goes away when I place the car in neutral while traveling.

I will see if I can pick up the sound on video and upload it to youtube.
Old 12-26-2012, 04:45 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yeah it sounds like a transmission issue.
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
Sly Bob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

My car also has a new 'whine'. I first heard it about 3 weeks ago after I got my waterpump fixed. It's possible it was making the noise prior to that but not sure. I was aware of the whine as a possible warning that the dealer didn't 'clamp' my timing chain when replaceing the waterpump, so I listened for it when I got the car back. Sure enough, everytime I hit the gas I can hear a whining (not the blow off valve whistle). The pitch changes with more acceleration and stops immediately when I let off the gas pedal.
The noise isn't super loud but it is noticeable. Normally I have the radio turned up so that is why I say it could have been making the noise earlier. I'll have to have someone else rev the engine while I stand outside to pinpoint the origin point.
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:07 AM   #7 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about any unwanted noises coming from your cars. Please keep us posted on the status. If you decide to take it to the dealership, please let us know. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is well despite any car concerns. Thank you and have a great New Year!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #8 (permalink)

I will be taking it to the Cadillac service center this weekend. Hopefully they will have some answers

here is the video I made. I apologize the road noise makes it difficult, but you should be able to hear the sound when the tach is around 1.5k. It's hard to notice in the first 10 seconds or so, but it becomes more noticeable near the middle of the video.

Solstice GXP auto transmission noise - YouTube

Last edited by newrival; 12-27-2012 at 11:28 AM. Reason: video link
Old 12-27-2012, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

On a side note, how do you embed youtube videos here?
Old 12-27-2012, 02:20 PM   #10 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newrival View Post
On a side note, how do you embed youtube videos here?
Use the full address (youtube.com) as opposed to the (youtu.be) address:

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 02:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Great, thanks!

I will update this thread after I return from the service apt. over the weekend.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Looking into possible differential issue. Seems to be predominantly in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Will hopefully have answers soon.

Why does it seem there are a lot of issues with the Solstice rear ends? Are there ways to avoid these issues in the future, if I do need mine replaced? It appears Caddy owners with this rear end have historically had some problems as well. Pretty interesting.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCustomerSvc View Post
Sorry to hear about any unwanted noises coming from your cars. Please keep us posted on the status. If you decide to take it to the dealership, please let us know. If you send a PM, please include your VIN#, name, situation, dealership name, and contact information. I hope all is well despite any car concerns. Thank you and have a great New Year!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
Matt,

Thanks for the interest, but most of the 'unwanted noises' I hear in my car is when the wife is in the passenger seat. Is there anything you can do to help me with that??
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomShadow View Post
Matt,

Thanks for the interest, but most of the 'unwanted noises' I hear in my car is when the wife is in the passenger seat. Is there anything you can do to help me with that??
Haha! Sorry but can't do much about that. Keep us posted on your truck status if anything occurs. Hope all is well!

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 09:16 PM   #15 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to gwhunter12
Looking forward to the diagnostic answer on this ,#0991 is a light whiner as well. With a twist, vibration , but I assumed it was tire imbalance .
gwhunter12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.