Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

P-2187

12K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  Jebsmith 
#1 ·
My check engine light came on yesterday.

I checked my dashhawk and had two codes

P-2237. Unknown
P-2187.

I noticed on the way home that my boost only went up to 17.

Normally it goes up to 21.

I did some reading.

What suggestions would you make to start to trouble shoot?

Thanks

#3 ·
Two things come to mind:

1. I had the P2187 come up when I had a bad fuel tank purge valve. But I also had long crank conditions after filling up and/or during hot days.

2. I know quite a few folks have had the P2237 come up in combination with tunes. You might want to talk to Lyndon about that. If it is running rich enough to go outside the O2 sensor's established tables, then it will throw that code. But unless you have recently updated the tune and something has changed to effect it now, I don't see that being the case because it should have started being a problem right away.

#4 ·
I get the P2187 ALL the time.

I got a downpipe, exhaust, and tune from RPi on my Sky a few years back. I went a year when I got a code saying that the bank 1 sensor was slow to respond. Took it in and somehow the cable got pushed up against the downpipe and melted through. After they replaced it, I get this code. It normally pops up if I'm going freeway speeds and turn off cruise control. Last time I went in, they said that I just need to put the stock cat back on there, which won't happen.

I don't think the tune I got from RPi messed with ATF...if it did, the code would have been popping once I got it. If you find anything out, let me know.

#5 ·
I've had my configuration for over a year. And no codes.

1.) I'm going to do is check my intercooling piping.
2) Check for exhaust leaks.

#7 ·
Hey guys. Just noticed this thread. I am having the symptoms of the purge valve problems. I got this P2187 code once. I had a rough start in hot weather, no problem after just opening the gas cap and starting, than no start after filling the gas tank a few hours later.

Guess it's off to the dealer I go?

#8 ·
Be sure to tell service that you got the car to start by opening the gas tank. And then you had no start after a tank fill. Did you try opening the gas cap again, after the tank fill?

They have a nifty little "smoke test" they can do on the gas tank. Basically they inject an inert "smoke" into the gas tank and then hook up with the Tech II. With the purge line disconnected from the intake manifold, they then tell the car to cycle the Purge Valve with the Tech II and observe if the Purge Valve is working correctly. (when open-smoke comes out. when closed-there should be no smoke) On my car the purge valve would not close completely, so there was always a little smoke coming out, and when commanded to cycle it would only work about half the time. So a very obvious failure of the part.

#9 ·
Car started rough once. Then was fine the rest of the day. Filled up. No start. Let it crank a bunch more and it eventually started, i had to keep it revved to keep from stalling and I could get it home. Didn't need to open the cap to get it to start.

#10 ·
I have the opposite problem, my car GXP 07 strats perfect after fueling, and continues until less than 3/4 of a tank also very hot right now, then turns 2 to 3 times to start.
If it sits for more than 4 to 5 hours, and when sitting overnight it will start hard, once running it runs great and no other problems, alos tried the gas cap remoaval in the mornings to see if it helped and the problem was still there. Sounding like a half functioning purge valve ???

#13 ·
Could be, I know if mine sat in the sun even for a couple hours, then it would long crank unless I took the gas cap off an relieved the pressure. And the "starting good until 3/4 tank" was very typical of my car as well. Sometimes it would long crank upon fill up. But more often than not, it would start after fill up but then start acting up when I would get down to about 3/4 tank. But I can not remember if it ever long cranked after sitting over night; if it did, it didn't do it very often because I am not remembering that symptom.

#11 · (Edited)
anyone have the part number of the purge valve? If it's cheap I'd rather just replace it myself than deal with the dealership.

Found the part number 2142125
Actually also 2142236 and 215582

Do I have to replace the canister or just the solenoid?

#14 ·
Best way to recreate the problem: When the tank is below full, somewhere between full and 3/4; leave the car sit out in the sun for a couple-three hours, then try to start. If the purge valve is not working correctly, you will most likely get a long crank situation.

Also be aware that if the purge valve is malfunctioning, it can do different things at different times. It may be stuck open, thus flooding the intake with gas fumes and causing long crank. Or it can be stuck closed and creating excessive pressure in the gas tank, causing fuel pressure issues.

In my case, the purge valve wouldn't close completely, so I constantly had long crank as soon as the tank would get hot in the sun. But the purge valve would also spontaneously open completely, resulting in flooding of the engine. I actually had the car die on me right in the middle of merging into traffic. I hit a little bump in the merge lane and the Purge Valve puked up all at once, flooded the engine and the car died right there in the merge lane with cars flying by about 6 inches away from me. Car would not restart, just long crank. So without getting out of the car, I had to reach around behind me and open the gas cap. Car started up and I got the hell out of there. :lol:

#18 ·
Had to focus on other things with the car the last few days, so I am going to take it to a Saturn dealer on Tuesday. It's been starting reliably but I haven't gotten gas yet.

#19 ·
#21 ·
Holy crap, they had your car four days and did nothing? :brentil:

No, I don't think filling the tank out of a jug will recreate the no start issue. I don't think it will create enough fumes in the gas tank. When you fill at the gas station the force of the gas going in at a high rate of speed, especially if is a warm-hot day, creates a lot of fumes in the tank. (I am guessing that you are trying to figure out a way to recreate the problem in your garage).

Just pick up a new purge valve and replace it yourself. It takes like five minutes to change the part. You will know if that fixed your problem the first time you fill up on a hot day. :thumbs:

#23 ·
Installed it. Car feels a bit smoother. But it is not nearly as hot as it was when I had the first problem. Haven't filled up yet. Don't wanna risk it while I have daylight since I am working on other things on the car all day.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.