Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Products to use and not use in engine bay?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
Any thoughts on cleaning and detail products to use and not use in engine compartment? TKS

#2 ·
Simple Green to clean your engine and compartment providing it's not filthy ,a good protectant like Armour All for the hoses and plastic ,any good detail spray for under hood and metal components I use Wizards and I also use Wizards Black Renew on my inner fenders both inside and out . For all my rubber seals I use pure silicone grease it's available in the plumbing section of your local DIY store (Home Depot ,Lowes,etc.)

#3 ·
Just let it be known that if you are using unfiltered tap water that it might....might....might....cause issues with sensor connections down the road. I learned that with my p2188 code that I chased for over 6 months. Still kind of chasing it, but it's nowhere near as bad as it was after I cleaned the sensor plug to the HPFP. Always cover your air cleaner assembly as well before hosing down the engine. Oh....and don't use any harsh degreasers like Purple Power. Anything that will dry out your hands with a minute of contact is too harsh. I use to use Purple Power to take the paint off of my model slot dragsters when I wanted to repaint them. That tells you how harsh that stuff is!!

#4 ·
Colorado, there is an excellent car detailing series on Autoblog; Autoblog Details

It's up to 36 videos now, and covers every aspect of detailing your car like a professional. Plus all videos are professional shot and edited and hosted & performed by a experienced auto detailer.

Here's a few examples, but basically it covers everything from A to Z, and new video's continue to be added every couple of weeks.

How to clean exhaust tips
How to clean exterior glass
How to clean a car headliner
How to clean car interior plastic trim
How to clean your engine's surface
How to compound paint to remove light scratches
How to maintain an automotive clear bra

#6 ·
I use spray windex and old microfiber towels to clean things up then I use Adams VRT or Tire treatment. It has UV protectant and leaves them looking like new. I stopped using Armor All when I found out that it leaves a film that builds up over time and eventually looks bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.