Shipping and arrival requirement - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-14-2012, 08:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

Shipping and arrival requirement

Okay here's the deal. I've been living in Hawaii for 4 and a half years and my solstice has been there with me. Over the course of these years I have been deployed 3 times each time for 7 months. After I got back from these deployments I just picked up my GXP from outdoor storage and started driving it. I haven't put 10000 miles on it in 4 years. Each time I come back the brakes are kinda rusty but that works itself out when you drive it. No that I'm getting ready to leave the island I'm wondering if there is anything I should check out on the car to see setting there has taken a toll on it? Also does anybody have any ideas on what shipping company I should use to bring my GXP back to the midwest? And, what should I do when I pick up the car when it gets there?
Irocchenault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 03:50 AM   #2 (permalink)

maybe you can talk to a local GM dealer to find out how
they receive the cars ???

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
sirwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-15-2012, 05:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

Not sure what branch of the service you are in but the AIr Force will ship your vehicle for free to the mainland; as long as you're being stationed there. If you have finished your military career I'm not sure if that is the case though.
My son bought his car in Germany, took it to Hawaii for 4 years while he was there, then to California for 2 years, and now it's back with him in Germany again. He had it in storage while he toured the Middle East (twice)and Korea (twice).
If you can go this route you will have to part with the car early as it takes longer to ship the car than it takes for you to get to your destination; probably a couple weeks.
TomShadow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irocchenault View Post
Okay here's the deal. I've been living in Hawaii for 4 and a half years and my solstice has been there with me. Over the course of these years I have been deployed 3 times each time for 7 months. After I got back from these deployments I just picked up my GXP from outdoor storage and started driving it. I haven't put 10000 miles on it in 4 years. Each time I come back the brakes are kinda rusty but that works itself out when you drive it. No that I'm getting ready to leave the island I'm wondering if there is anything I should check out on the car to see setting there has taken a toll on it? Also does anybody have any ideas on what shipping company I should use to bring my GXP back to the midwest? And, what should I do when I pick up the car when it gets there?
I'm actually surprised, you're saying you'd just come back after 7 months at a time and fire it right up? Battery not dead? Fuel have stabil in it? brakes you mentioned rust, but tires would be flat spotted as well. These are the most obvious items. Outside you didn't have rodent issues?
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5679 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 09:01 PM   #5 (permalink)

hmmm.... I've been in the dealer world for several years. Isn't there a concern about corrosion? I was told that I couldn't have a car "courtesy delivered" in Hawaii because it wouldn't be properly undercoated if it were ordered in Michigan. I did have a customer try to have his hybrid shipped to Hawaii 6 months after he bought it and he said that Hawaii wouldn't license it because of corrosion concerns with the battery because it was purchased on the mainland and wouldn't have been properly corrosion protected. Maybe he was just pulling my leg to see if he could return it??
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #6 (permalink)

yeah. every time i came back it fired right up. i would park it on an empty tank and take it straight to the gas station and get a bottle of fuel cleaner and fill her up. no rodent problem either. My car was originally a florida car that i bought in illinois and got shipped out here. i have no idea about the corrosion stuff. i replaced my battery for the first time about 2 months ago. other than that i haven't had any major issues with it at all.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah. every time i came back it fired right up. i would park it on an empty tank and take it straight to the gas station and get a bottle of fuel cleaner and fill her up. no rodent problem either. My car was originally a florida car that i bought in illinois and got shipped out here. i have no idea about the corrosion stuff. i replaced my battery for the first time about 2 months ago. other than that i haven't had any major issues with it at all.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

1. Thank you for your service!
2. Dude - I can't ship a box across the state worth a damn, so I can't help you at all with shipping a car across an ocean.
3. The corrosion concern obviously comes from being on an island that's surrounded by salt water. If you haven't had any issues so far with electrical connections, fasteners, sheet metal corroding so far I can't see where it would be a major issue but definitely something to keep in mind if you have any issues down the road.
4. Shado's points on fuel, battery and flat spotting are spot-on. But again, if it's not been an issue yet I wouldn't think it would be in the near future.

5. I'd just take a detailed review of the condition of your paint and body panels to be sure no damage is done during shipment.

On a side note, are you finishing your career or just being stationed back stateside?
Old 11-21-2012, 09:26 AM   #9 (permalink)

Cancelling OnStar service lengthens battery life considerably. Don't know how long after you cancel it stops being active. I don't use my GXP as much in the winter (the stock tires aren't very snow friendly) and it can sit for a couple fo months and always fires up with no issues.
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 02:24 AM   #10 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
Sorry man, just saw this thread. Are you active? Gov Civilian? Contractor? Did you buy the car there, or ship it when you PCS'd in? If you're active, and shipped a car from CONUS to HI, you should be entitled to ship one back. TMO should hook you up.

But if you're active duty mil, you should know all of this already, even if this is your first PCS... I've done 3 overseas active duty PCS moves with vehicles, to include to/from HI. If you're still looking for answers, hit me up with a PM.

The long and short of it, though, is that no matter the shipper it's going to go via the same means.
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #11 (permalink)

I'm active right now. waiting for the answer yes or no from headquarters marine corps if they want to keep me or not. if they say yes then im shipped back stateside probably east coast. if they say no then im shipped back stateside to my home both in january. either way i guess im looking at the shipping. I talked with TMO and they will be shipping it for free either with my EAS or PCS. I can't have more than a 1/4 tank of gas when i take it in. It's been a while. Any other preventative measures i should be thinking about or taking before i end up at the shipping office with the car itself? no problems thus far.
Old 11-24-2012, 10:23 PM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

Send a message via ICQ to 2KWK4U
1/4 tank of gas is the big one. Also be sure all of your paperwork is in order (x number of copies of the title, x number of copies of your orders, letter from your lien-holder (if that applies)...)

Also be sure it's CLEAN inside and out. They'll inspect it THOROUGHLY and mark every little rock chip and scuff - seems like they did their inspection a little more "island style" there, but you still want it clean.

Make sure you loosen up the antenna. It will come off. Also, they're going to give you a box to put everything that's loose from the car into (floor mats, owner's manual, radio faceplate (if applicable). Might as well remove as much of that as you can beforehand and ship it back with your UAB or HHG. In a Kappa, I can't imagine that box riding anywhere but the front seat (they give you about a 4 cubic foot box - NOT gonna fit in the trunk!). I'd want it to be as empty/light as possible.

Consider putting a fresh coat of wax or paint protectant on NOW. The car I shipped to HI was Black, and only a few months old at the time. I never did fully recover the paint from all of the salt-water stains and apparent oil stains. Also they seem to have loaded that car on the carrier facing rearward to truck it cross-country (PCS'd to HI from the east coast). I say that because when I picked it up there were rock chips on the REAR bumper and the glass of the side mirrors.

When the same car was shipped back from HI, it arrived just as it left. I've had no other problems shipping another car back and forth to Germany from Cali and to Maryland, and now from Maryland to Moscow. Of course I don't care as much about my tupperware 2003 Saturn VUE as I did for my new (at the time) '99 Grand Prix GTP.
'06 #101409 - Sold to move to Germany

'08 GXP #105359 - Bought and stored for 10 months before I moved back from Germany!

Stored AGAIN for two years instead of bringing it to Russia
2KWK4U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.