Solo Mach Shorty - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-27-2013, 09:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Solo Mach Shorty

I am thinking about upgrading my stock exhaust. I snooped around on the internet and came across Solo's Mach Shorty, which is Solo's mid-range kit. I would like my 07 GXP to sound a little more aggressive, but not obnoxious like some of my small town's teenagers drive around with.

A couple buddies I play hockey with are mechanics, and they told me not to bother with a new exhaust as it won't make a 2L engine sound good. Does anyone have the Mach Shorty, or advice about what I should do?

Thanks.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2013, 06:39 AM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chippy View Post
I am thinking about upgrading my stock exhaust. I snooped around on the internet and came across Solo's Mach Shorty, which is Solo's mid-range kit. I would like my 07 GXP to sound a little more aggressive, but not obnoxious like some of my small town's teenagers drive around with.

A couple buddies I play hockey with are mechanics, and they told me not to bother with a new exhaust as it won't make a 2L engine sound good. Does anyone have the Mach Shorty, or advice about what I should do?

Thanks.
Can't go wrong with a Solo Mach Shorty IMHO. If you have a good sound system on your computer click on the link below to hear my Shorty. Keep in mind that I also installed the Solo free flow Cat for additional power. It gives the Mach Shorty more volume. So if you go just with the Shorty, it will not be a loud as this. Sorry for the squealling tires but you should be able to hear the exhaust. I only did this donut thing once so I wanted to video it. BTW I still have lots of tread on the tires at 32,000 Km.

Show your kappa doing a burnout

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.
topdowneh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

The cat back Mach Shorty is slightly louder than OEM (muffler's about 1/3 the size of OEM). Trans plays a part too in that a manual allows you to hear the exhaust shifting notes due to being able to wind out the gears more than an auto.

OEM unit is unbolted from cat (only reason to cut it would be packaging/transportation reasons).
09 Fastback Sol & 06 Vert Mods:http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f...session-75468/

Last edited by ChopTop; 01-29-2013 at 07:13 AM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:20 AM   #4 (permalink)

You won't get much more power unless you also get a high-flo cat from one of the vendors here. I run a Mach and a HF cat. The MACH is a little more mufffler to offset the higher cat noise. The HF cat gets you an additional 20 HP and torque. You'll have to have someone weld on the different O2 bung so install cost would go up.
White Manual RL w/ Tan Top/Seats; GMPP Tune; Solo HF Cat/Mach; Ultraleggera HLT 20"; Dejon IC Pipes/Intake/Elbow; Race Backbone/Pro-beam/Cross brace/Venom brace; JPM Tan Alcantara console and guage cluster covers, steering wheel center, visor covers, belt loops, and elbow pads
Spartan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 11:46 AM   #5 (permalink)

While I don't exactly agree with everything posted above, I think you will like the Solo Mach or Shorty, they will both give you the same performance the Mach is just quieter. I had the Street Race (no muffler) it was really loud with the high flow cat, replaced it with the Mach and get compliments on how good my exhaust sounds.

You can improve or reduce performance with an exhaust but 20hp is a bit much, you might see that at the very high end on a straight pipe system. You can modify the torque with an exhaust so it certainly feels like 20 hp, it's torque that gets you down the road.
RMR Style Bar.
SSR Type C wheels, Nitto 555's
DDM Works PINK Breastplate, PRO Beam
HKS Coilovers
GXP Z0K rear sway bar with urethane bushings
Custom Jonymac glass wind screen, one of a kind.
Eclipse AVN726e; ZED Audio Leviathan, Image Dynamics tweeters, CTS door subs, active crossover tri-amped. Audio Control 6 channel 30 band parametric EQ.
JL Audio 10" sub
lil goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 12:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

We have the Solo Mach...love the sound of it and the performance as well and definately a major upgrade from stock and the drive to the 2013 NASSM in Flagstaff will be a hoot for sure.

#1 On my local GXP list at MSRP; Code 1100, Order#KCPDVV 04-28-06

Code 3000, 10-12-06; Code 3100, 11-08-06; Code 3300, 11-18-06; Code 3400, 11-18-06; Code 3800, 12-01-06; Code 4200 12-07-06; Code 5000 & 6000, 12-27-06

2007 Aggressive GXP, 5-speed shifter, Ebony Leather seats, red accent stitching, Chromed Wheels, Air, 6-Disc, Monsoon, Sport Metallic Pedals, and Premium Headliner. MSRP $30,300 less $1,000 GMMC credit. Deal $28,180 ($2,120 under MSRP).
VIN#120075
GXPinKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 03:27 PM   #7 (permalink)

If you can give me a day, I will post what my Solo Street Race exhaust sounds like. It is more "throaty" then the others. I will post inside and outside so you can make a decision. My guess is you'll go with the shorty cause mine can get rather loud.
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 12:27 AM   #8 (permalink)

I have the Solo rear center duals and I believe they are supposed to sound like the Shortys.

Here are some videos of the stock exhaust and the RCDs.

Stock:

RCDs:
ZOk sway bars, DDM Race Backbone,ProBeam,Latin Venom front brace,Wind resistor,Billet cup holder,Red painted calipers
rmahoney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 06:05 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the advice. Once winter is over, I think I'll install it. It sounds awesome.
Chippy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here are mine, from outside and inside....

Last edited by The_Ghost; 01-30-2013 at 09:38 PM.
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 03:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil goat View Post
While I don't exactly agree with everything posted above, I think you will like the Solo Mach or Shorty, they will both give you the same performance the Mach is just quieter. I had the Street Race (no muffler) it was really loud with the high flow cat, replaced it with the Mach and get compliments on how good my exhaust sounds.

You can improve or reduce performance with an exhaust but 20hp is a bit much, you might see that at the very high end on a straight pipe system. You can modify the torque with an exhaust so it certainly feels like 20 hp, it's torque that gets you down the road.

I don't recall any of the vendors stating 20hp. I think Solo mentions 10HP with the HF cat. And several people that have also messed with the exhaust as an "upgrade" reported no improvement or slight loss (though they liked the sound).
'09 Solstice GXP Coupe #492, Mysterious, Auto, 5934 miles.
GMPP tune
DDM Venom Brace
DDM 3/8 Performance backbone
DDM Probeam
DDM Catch can, Tclamps and fender trim kit.
GM Accessories incl. race pedals, rocker panel clear protective tape, console storage bag, and soft targa top.

'95 Bronco, owned 18yrs, totally custom on 37's, my DD
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/628
'11 Subaru Forrester, wifes DD.
Shadofax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2013, 11:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

Solo's site claims
"GXP Catalytic Converter-Stats:
• 15 HP increase, 8 extra foot pounds of torque increase
GXP Mach Shorty-Stats:
• 19 HP increase, 7 extra foot pounds of torque increase"

How much of that is real world and how much is marketing ?
Mean BB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.