Torque Steer?? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Solstice GXP Discussion
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Torque Steer??

I know its not a FWD but still. I installed the E47 tune from Vince and ran a tank through driving easy and now starting to push a little and I notice that when I get after it, the car pulls to the left. Its not horrible or uncontrollable but noticeable the same.

Is it normal? Searching brought up nothing. I know it is stronger now than before and that might be the answer or the passenger rear wheel is putting down more power than the drivers side.

Just wondering if anyone else notices this???

Thanks
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles

Last edited by juspimpin; 11-10-2012 at 09:32 AM.
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

50 views and no replies?

Am I alone on this?
Old 11-07-2012, 02:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
AKA SolWhat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by juspimpin View Post
50 views and no replies?

Am I alone on this?
Check your tires, inflation, and alignment. Do you have limited slip rear end (G80)?

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
DaveOC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 02:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires.

--Christian
cdnite is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 04:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
Check your tires, inflation, and alignment. Do you have limited slip rear end (G80)?
Thanks Dave. Tires were new in July. I checked pressures when I got home (before reading this) since today is 50, far cry from the 100 it was when tires wentt on....and drivers rear was at 18.5 but still did not look low. Hopefully that corrects the issue. I also looked and do in fact have LS. Thanks for that code. Car seems to track straight and true when coasting. Only has 9500 miles but could still be off alignment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnite View Post
This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires
I was thinking some of it is normal rotational torque from engine putting out more power. Tires are both bigger (275/45-18) and better (Conti DW). That was a precurser to E47.

Thanks again guys

Last edited by juspimpin; 11-08-2012 at 08:49 AM.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I have never experienced it.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-07-2012, 10:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

When the right front or left rear tire is low, it will vere to the right. The low inflated left rear will have a larger contact patch than the right rear giving the left rear more bite and pushing the car to the right. Does the rear grunt on slow tight turns?
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
When the right front or left rear tire is low, it will vere to the right. The low inflated left rear will have a larger contact patch than the right rear giving the left rear more bite and pushing the car to the right. Does the rear grunt on slow tight turns?
The drivers rear was low and it pulled to left so what you said was confusing. Can't say anything to the slow tight turns as I cannot recall an issue or said turn.

Hopefully get car out tomorrow for test drive to see that the pressure was the culprit.
Old 11-08-2012, 03:03 PM   #9 (permalink)

My completely stock EBlend auto drives straight without pull in the front but will spin badly and the back end will kick out with my stock tires. Kinda fun to pull by someone under 20mph and punch and have tires wail. Not so good for a 60ft time.
Solo HF Cat and Mach Shorty
Probeam, Backbone and Eibach Pro
Dunlop Dirreza *Spec

1987 Buick Grand National
1978 Trans Am

Trifecta authorized Dealer
www.amesperformancetuning.com
BrentnKC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 03:45 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by juspimpin View Post
The drivers rear was low and it pulled to left so what you said was confusing. Can't say anything to the slow tight turns as I cannot recall an issue or said turn.

Hopefully get car out tomorrow for test drive to see that the pressure was the culprit.
Your OP was the car was pulling to the right and you found the left rear low which makes sense with what I stated. Now you're saying it pulls left. Now who's confusing. The reason I asked about the grunt on slow tight turns is one of the signs of a clutch pack going bad in the diff. If the right side clutch pack goes bad it will pull right.
jeff465 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdnite View Post

But Dave is correct make sure tire pressure is correct also that will help minimize it, as will a properly functioning limited slip differential and bigger or better tires.

--Christian
In a rwd car the right rear is the primarily driven. Note this. Differentials

That is why some 60's rare muscle cars came with more leaf spring in the right rear than the other side.

The crown of the road also contributes.
Old 11-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
I have never experienced it.
I have, but that may be because my car didn't come with LSD.
Vin # 3963
Sent to Mallett 2-21-07
Delivered 5-11-07 # 007 "Beast"
LS-2 400 HP/368 RWHP
Magnaflow Custom True Dual Exhaust
RedSkyMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 09:42 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwtoxman View Post
That is why some 60's rare muscle cars came with more leaf spring in the right rear than the other side.
I do recall that now that you mention it.

I expect the OPs observation is related to LSD or tire pressure issues, no big deal (you want torque steer, try a high powered FWD car!).

You guys don't realize how lucky you are to have LSDs (in some). I raced for years with a welded diff in a live axle car. Crappy for pushing around the pits but very effective on the track - until it rained, at which point the car became a classic demo for the definition of understeer! (I went to a Quaife diff in recent years).
1962 MGA Deluxe Coupe
1965 Jensen CV8
1969 MGC roadster
1969 Lamborghini Islero S
1971 Jensen Interceptor
1988 Pontiac Fiero GT
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe

Bill in BC
wspohn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
cdnite : This is normal it has to do with the direction of the rotating mass(drive terrain). This is most noticeable in big block muscle cars but our little Kappas will show it as the tires scrabble for traction.
I don't think so. Unless the rotating mass is a significant portion of the total vehicle mass, you are not going to see an inertial reaction. Single engine airplanes do it because of the propeller, but in a car the forces are all contained in the chassis.

The wind-up you see in a drag car is due to torque, not to rotational inertia.
Quote:
kwtoxman : In a rwd car the right rear is the primarily driven. Note this. Differentials

The crown of the road also contributes.
This is true for cars with live axles. It does not apply to a car with independent rear suspension and a chassis-mounted drive axle. With a live axle the springs have to keep the axle from twisting relative to the chassis. With our drive axle design all of the torque is contained in the chassis, and the springs never see it.
2.4 NA Manual
Midnight Blue
JRinKY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff465 View Post
Your OP was the car was pulling to the right and you found the left rear low which makes sense with what I stated. Now you're saying it pulls left. Now who's confusing. The reason I asked about the grunt on slow tight turns is one of the signs of a clutch pack going bad in the diff. If the right side clutch pack goes bad it will pull right.
That was my mistake. Car definitely pulled to my military right...LEFT...I fixed the first post.

I filled the tires to what I want them to be, and VOILA-car stays in its lane now. I should have done a little checking to find the issue myself before posting, but I was at work and in a posting mood. It was a little nerve racking when I went to pass a car on the way to work on the right and got after it and my car seemed to intentionally aim at the one I was passing.

Yesterday, she did great with no pulling/pushing to any side and I tested her well. avg mpg went from 28.8 to 25.1 in 44 miles. It was a good day!

Thanks to all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.