Wheels.....again - Pontiac Solstice Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 AM Thread Starter

Wheels.....again

I know, I know, I know...wheels have been discussed to death on the forum. I also know the specs of our wheels
5x110
55mm offset
18" x 8"

I am wondering how far I can deviate from the offset if I stick with the other parameters before I will start rubbing on my fender/quarter? I have found many wheels that I like, but they're a 40mm offset. Will that work? Will it rub? I want to keep my current tires if I can. If I stick to the 55mm offset, I'm extremely limited to the wheel that I can purchase. My OE wheels are leaking so bad that it's time for new ones.... Any help or comments are appreciated.

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
ASAP T2 stripes and badging
Windrestrictor V2 lighted in white
Windrestrictor lighted door sills lighted in white
DDM Works IC Piping
Undercar LEDs in white to match Windrestrictor

ZZPerformance dyno tuned - 286HP, 317ft/lbs of torque at 23psi of boost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:15 AM

Use this calculator with the wheels that you like and get out the tape measure.

Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit
rob the elder likes this.

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 07:52 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I know that the top of the wheel will move out 15mm (0.6") more. I'm just worried about it rubbing with the stock suspension on the fender/quarter. Especially with bumps. I do live in MI and the roads are stuck in 1930....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 08:37 AM

Check out Fast Wheels and Steelmesh's 19x9.5 + 45 Fast Wheels FCO4A thread. The rims are priced well (and light) and the mods needed are not difficult. I added ARP wheel stud while the hubs were off. Sorry about the lack of a direct link. With the US exchange rate it's a win if you can live with the style of rim. I used Canada Wheels to order mine but in a different size.
Buy the way,
Thank you Steelmesh
Steelmesh likes this.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:56 AM Thread Starter

While his look great, I'm not grinding down my hub to fit a set of wheels!!

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-13-2017, 09:42 PM

Is there a reason I can't find the thread???

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcraig View Post
Check out Fast Wheels and Steelmesh's 19x9.5 + 45 Fast Wheels FCO4A thread. The rims are priced well (and light) and the mods needed are not difficult. I added ARP wheel stud while the hubs were off. Sorry about the lack of a direct link. With the US exchange rate it's a win if you can live with the style of rim. I used Canada Wheels to order mine but in a different size.
Buy the way,
Thank you Steelmesh

WooHoo!!! Ordered a loaded Deep GXP on March 19th, 2008. Order number 0814D93708
Event code 3400 on April 12, 2008
Born April 30, 2008
Delivered to dealer May 23th, 2008
Delivered on May 27, 2008

Mods: lose the chicklets, VentureShield, Dual horns, AfterShock spoiler, Weathershield cover, Lil Chromies, Red calipers with black Solstice stickers, Opel GT antenna and
Solo GXP-RCD exhaust with Solo hi-flow cat!
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Here ya go SlyBob: 19x9.5 +45 Fast Wheels FC04A

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

So if I'm correct...I have to stay with the 5x110 lug pattern, and probably shouldn't go less then a 40offset if I stay with 18x8 and my OE tire size....what about bore? Can I use a 73.10 bore? That's just a bigger center hole....correct? Will I need any adapters? I must buy new rims, my OEs are losing about 30psi of air a week....so the chrome is peeling around the bead....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:24 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
So if I'm correct...I have to stay with the 5x110 lug pattern, and probably shouldn't go less then a 40offset if I stay with 18x8 and my OE tire size....what about bore? Can I use a 73.10 bore? That's just a bigger center hole....correct? Will I need any adapters? I must buy new rims, my OEs are losing about 30psi of air a week....so the chrome is peeling around the bead....
I believe the standard wheels have a center bore of 65.1 mm. You will need an adapter ring if you use a wheel with a larger center bore.

At least that is my opinion.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741

Last edited by DaveOC; 03-14-2017 at 09:41 AM. Reason: correction on center bore
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveOC View Post
I believe the standard wheels have a center bore of 67.1 mm. You will need an adapter ring if you use a wheel with a larger center bore.

At least that is my opinion.

Hub bore is
65.1 on a Kappa. Hub centric rings available for 73.1-65.1
Steelmesh likes this.

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE

Last edited by tallcraig; 03-14-2017 at 09:32 AM.
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 09:40 AM
AKA SolWhat?

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallcraig View Post
Hub bore is
65.1 on a Kappa. Hub centric rings available for 73.1-65.1
Thank you for that correction, I did it from memory and didn't look it up. I'll go back and fix my prior message.

On the Hanging Limb Highway - 2012
1st 1K - #741
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-14-2017, 10:40 AM

No, thank you for all the help you offer us on the forum!
Craig

LITTLE MISS SUNSHINE
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 08:12 AM

Preface: I started writing this post in response to this thread but got carried away and it turned into a general Sol/Sky wheel fitment guide.

I have been doing some research recently to try and find some new wheels for my car. Here is what I have collected so far from other posts on the Forum.

You are better off finding a company that will custom make wheels in our bolt pattern than trying to find a off the shelf choice. Forgestar | The World's First Custom Rotary Forged Flow Formed Wheels seems to be a common choice for people looking to upgrade wheels.

Unfortunately custom made wheels are expensive. If you can't swing the $$$$ for a set of custom wheels the next best choice would be to look for a similar bolt pattern wheel and have them redrilled. Some manufactures will offer this service for an additional charge if you just contact them. There are two members on the FB group that have had the Avid.1 AV-52 wheels redrill when they ordered them from www.aspiremotoring.com. These wheels are much more affordable than custom wheels. If the manufacture or dealer won't redrill them there are some places online that offer a special redrilling service if you send them your wheels. Felgen Meister Wheel Re-drilling Service - FM-Wheels.com

Some members have bought new hubs and had them redrilled to a different bolt pattern but I don't really like that option because there is a high up cost for parts and machining and then every time you change rotors you are going to have to get them redrilled to the new bolt pattern also. This only seems like it would pay off if you wanted to change wheels offten.

Ok, now for what exactly fits on our cars. I don't like using offset to determine where a wheel is going to fit in the wheel well because offset is determined by wheel width. Instead I like to use backspacing. It is the same no matter how wide the wheel is. So now we need to determine what is the most backspacing a wheel can have and not hit the frame/suspension arms.

My new wheels
In this post Roxer shows the clearance between the rear upper control arm and his new 18x9.5 +43 Forgestar F14. Judging by that picture I would say that +45 offset would be the a absolute maximum offset for a 9.5" wide wheel. Now I use this converter Converter - CCWheel to show that that +45 on a 9.5" wheel is 7.02" backspacing.

Lets not just take one persons word for it. Lets look at another example.
Wide rims
In this post shabby tells that a 18x9 +55 rubbed and a 5mm spacer was used to change the offset to +50. When we use the converter we find out that +55 on a 9" wide wheel is 7.17" backspacing and as we determined earlier that is to much. +50 on a 9" wheel is is 6.97" backspacing so it will work fine.

So using 7" backspacing as the maximum here are the highest offsets you can have for each width.
+63 on a 8" (6.98" backspacing)
+57 on a 8.5" (6.99" backspacing)
+50 on a 9" (6.97" backspacing)
+44 on a 9.5" (6.98" backspacing)
+38 on a 10" (7" backspacing)
+31 on a 10.5" (6.97" backspacing)
+25 on a 11" (6.98" backspacing)

Keep in mind anything wider than 9.5" is going to stick out past the fender. If you want to use 9" wide wheel or less use Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator. Offset, Tyre Stretch and Speedo Error | Will They Fit to determine the offset you need to get the wheel close to the fender. For example the face of a 9.5" +44, 9"+38, and a 8.5"+31 will all be in the same spot.

19x9.5 +45 Fast Wheels FC04A
Forgestar F14
If you haven't read these two thread I would recommend it for anyone who is looking to buy new wheels. There is a ton of conflicting information in them. If there are no pictures of the fitment posted I take it with a grain of salt. The 2 main points to take away from those two threads. With 19" or 20" wheels you can get away with more backspacing without rubbing. On some wheel designs the hub center and rear axle may stick out further than the face of the wheel.

Another thing to note is I still have the stock wheels on my car and have no experience with new wheels. I am only going by what others have posted.
Steelmesh likes this.

08 Carbon Flash Redline 5 speed
Fujita intake and charge tubes / Gutted cat / 3 bar MAPS / Tuned with HP Tuners / Centric premium rotors / Stoptech Street Performance pads / DDM SS brake lines / ATE Type 200 fluid
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-15-2017, 10:40 AM

Geez, all I can say is I really hope my wheels don't give out!!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 05:27 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoGXP View Post
Geez, all I can say is I really hope my wheels don't give out!!
The sad part is what he posted about wheels is only about the 1/2 of it! If you are looking for exact fitment, we have a choice of about 20 different wheels, of which 15 look like truck wheels! Of course I'm exaggerating a bit, but it' s not far off. So the next logical step is to move to a different offset in hopes of finding the same lug pattern and center bore....which is also quite limiting. I have managed to find wheels in a 40 mm offfset with all the other matching specs, but it's been a chore to find some in the price range I wanted (<$350/wheel). I'm actually looking for something similar to a 5 or 6 spoke Corvette wheel in chrome. The best I could find is the Niche Turin M170 in polished steel. Everything that fits our cars is in chrome like this wheel is $500+/wheel. We have a VERY difficult car to find aftermarket wheels.....

Solo Street Race exhaust
Fujita CAI
DDM Works IC Piping

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode