AutoSKIN - A cheap temporary clear bra. Opinions? - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Car Care and Detailing Forum
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2006, 04:51 PM   #1 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

Send a message via AIM to dori-san
AutoSKIN - A cheap temporary clear bra. Opinions?

I was wondering if there was a product that I could use to protect my car from chips on long trips (Going to KC).

I don't have and DO NOT desire a bra of the leather kind.

I am not interested in a 3M type bra either, as they are meant to be more permanent.

I was just looking for something (like the 3M bra) that was cheap and could be easily removed once the road trip was over with.

I stumbled upon this thing called AutoSKIN and it looks to be some latex based clear liquid that you paint on the car in a liquid form and when it dries it becomes clear, then when you want to remove it you just peel it off and you can paint some more on whenever you want.

http://www.autoskin.com.au/index.htm

I would like to use this for the trip to KC, remove it when I get there for the Nat'l Meet, and then paint some more on for the trip back home.

I am posting this here to get peoples opinions on how well this might work and also to see if anybody (Gary in particular) has had any experience with this type of product.

I really want to do something like this, but I don't know if it might damage my paint at all.

Discuss.
#17313 | Scarlett! | AC | ABS | LSD | Pwr | Conv | Single MP3 | Monsoon! | All but lost...
dori-san is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2006, 07:15 AM   #2 (permalink)

Most high end body shops know of the clear coat application designed to repel stone chips much better than factory paint. it is a little pircy, since it is a paint process, the problem with the bra, is you see the lines, it doesn't last forever (like people think) and from a cosmetic view, you still see the chips, although they are in the bra not the paint.
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 07:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

I have thought long and hard about 3M. I decided to drive the car the way it is. If the damage gets bad, I will have the front end repainted in 4-6 years when the damage is more noticable.
COOL MAGGIE. 2006 Polished wheels. Steel /Sand. #3458 Premium, Power, and Convenience. Monsoon.
Her Name is Maggie. Her personalized plates are MAGNIFY
firedup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2006, 09:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

So Gary, I'm gathering that this is a decent product from what you said (nothing too negative).

I honestly don't care if you can see the chips in it or if you can see the edge of it, because it can be peeled off. So this will be fine for just a temporary fix on long trips?
#17313 | Scarlett! | AC | ABS | LSD | Pwr | Conv | Single MP3 | Monsoon! | All but lost...
Old 04-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

sure, should be fine, what is the cost? Gary
turbomangt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2006, 09:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

Price is 50 bucks for a liter.

Site says just to put a 'bra' type coverage on a small car, you should get about 4 applications per liter.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

That's pretty cool.
Old 04-30-2006, 05:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

Well, it seems as if the ordering process is different than most online places.

If you want to order you fill in what you want and then they send you an e-mail with the invoice. Once you pay for it that way then they ship it out. I filled out the form over a week ago and never got an invoice e-mail.

There USED to be a US distributor for the product but their website is down, and after some searching I think I found out that company has gone out of business.

So I don't think I'll be able to get this stuff now. I think for KC I'll have to resort to the old school show car style protection... tape!

Gary, I'm sure you know about this and now I'd like your thoughts on what effect this might have on the car/finish. I know that the best thing to use would be the blue painters tape, right? If I do use that, I'm worried about the surface underneath. Would it strip the wax when I peeled it off? If so, then I guess I'll just wash the car and tape it up before the trip and wait to wax it until I get there. If not then it would be okay for me to wax it and then put tape on it?
Old 04-30-2006, 06:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

Clarity

This product is designed for off road protection. The finish will be only as good as the brush you use. Unless it was sprayed on with a gun, you will get a vary modeled or striated finish. Will never look as good as paint.

Just my 2 cents.
ClearBraInstall is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2006, 11:46 PM   #10 (permalink)
SF Celebrity?

Why doesn't anyone understand?!

I DON'T CARE WHAT IT LOOKS LIKE! It's for temporary protection on a long road trip!

Hence why I'm probably going to go with the blue painters tape method now.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:42 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JimmyMood
Hey Dori,

I just saw an ad for Duplicolor SHIELD. It seems similar to the autoskin stuff you had found, except it washes off. I don't know how it would stand up to water, seeing as how it washes off, but it is probably worth a look.

They also have temporary "Car-Art" paint, looks interesting, but wouldn't trust it on my finish just yet.
#4796: Mysterious, Power, Convenience, LSD, Polished Aluminium.
JimmyMood is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2006, 10:27 PM   #12 (permalink)

Dori, I do not know if it is too expensive, or in an acceptable color, but... they used to make a paint on, dip on, material you could use to make "handles" for tools etc. This stuff was thicker, but it could be peeled off pretty easily and did not seem to leave any residue.

I have no idea how it would do as a bra though. I used to get it at Home Depot in the paint dept. just a thought.

Power Train Mods Are Done!!! Dejon CAI, Dejon IC Pipes, EDAL, Magnaflow 3" cat-back
Misc. Mods: WindRestrictor 2, stubby, de-badged, engine cover painted, garage door opener, headlights smoked, egg yolks gone, Garmin Nuvi 660, custom trailer hitch, upolstering
To Do: Calipers painted, Back mud flaps, ECM tune? Boost Controller?
Sol Cruisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 06:30 AM   #13 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to birdliver
Hardly noticeble

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomangt
Most high end body shops know of the clear coat application designed to repel stone chips much better than factory paint. it is a little pircy, since it is a paint process, the problem with the bra, is you see the lines, it doesn't last forever (like people think) and from a cosmetic view, you still see the chips, although they are in the bra not the paint.
As far as how long it lasts, what I got (bumper, hood, mirrors) for $595 installed came with a 5 year, 50,000 mile guarantee which is fine with me. As far as seeing the line(s)?(really only one to see) no one yet has seen it for themselves (mine's aggressive) and all agree when I point it out that it blends in extremely well. If it's an issue, it's a minor one and it doesn't bother me. I love knowing that the protection is there when I crank it up.
birdliver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 06:53 AM   #14 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyMood
I just saw an ad for Duplicolor SHIELD.
http://www.duplicolor.com/training/shield_training.html

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

I've been meaning to try this stuff but haven't had a chance to look for it yet.

Then there is also the Spray-On Bra from Griot's (peel off)

http://griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?...1090&SKU=20264

Quote:
Useful Instructions:
Spray-On Bra creates an airtight, waterproof barrier. Make sure the surface to be protected is clean and dry before use. To start, mask off sections that are not to be coated. Apply Spray-On Bra in the shade at cool temperatures, if possible out of direct wind and in a well ventilated area. Shake the container well and often during use. Spray approximately 6-10 inches form surface being treated using overlapping layers until the entire area is covered. For maximum protection a film thickness of 1/8 inch is recommended. Remove masking shortly after application. Spray-On Bra is dry to the touch in 15 minutes and fully cured in 90 minutes.
Removal:
Peel up an edge of the film from the surface and pull up sections as desired. After removing, dispose of properly in trash bin. Reapply when needed.

Last edited by LBJay; 05-21-2006 at 07:05 AM.
LBJay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)
Free Range Sol

Location: New Diff, so no leaks; Brake clunk back, engine toast, but who cares?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJay
http://www.duplicolor.com/training/shield_training.html

http://www.duplicolor.com/products/shield.html

I've been meaning to try this stuff but haven't had a chance to look for it yet.

Then there is also the Spray-On Bra from Griot's (peel off)

http://griotsgarage.com/catalog.jsp?...1090&SKU=20264
I'm liking that Duplicolor one-says rain won't wash it off, may have to try it before the long road trip this fall!!

06 NA...106k miles...blowing M1 out the tailpipe, engine is toast.
08 GXP...38k miles...Gray today, gone tomorrow?

Team Solstice 2006 & 2008

2012: DellsDinner...Platteville..PVGP...Bluffs '12...Dells 7..RR12

2011: DellsDinner..Cherokee Chase..Platteville..Bluffs '11...Door VI...Dells VI..

Runs/Meets in '06: 13 '07: 13 '08: 7 '09: 9 '10: 9 11: 6
Aspenrose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.