Cleaning under the hood - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Car Care and Detailing Forum
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2008, 12:12 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrk View Post
Thanks for the compliment lady

You know the first thing I thought of when I started looking at all the aftermarket parts was ,,, "where the hell are the engine covers??????"

We have replacement everything but engine covers. I can't believe someone hasn't come up with a good looking cover for sale already. That seems like it would be so easy, and everyone under the sun would want to order one. I painted mine because there was no options out there (could be chrome? or pre-painted, powdercoated.. or maybe have a different design on it othere than just ECOTEC)

Maybe I'm just thinking too much into it though.
Not really, Vstar and Spikey3480 are in the process of having custom covers made and they will post when they get them. They sent theirs to a company who is manufacturing a rendition out of stainless steel or chrome. Stay tuned, I'm sure they will post pics when they get them.
maxblast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-12-2008, 06:41 PM   #17 (permalink)
mrk

The custom cover seems like it would be really easy to make. So many companies have put time into the difficult stuff, that just seems like a no brainer
Painted calipers, mud flaps, painted engine cover-fuse box and turbo shield, Dejon CAI and IC Pipes, lil chromies, JPM visor covers and center console, Westers Hot Tune, Stripes from ASAP Signs (ClearBra)..Norm's Rear Facia, JPM Padded Leather Console Cover and JPM Auto Shifter, HD fog and headlights
mrk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 03:56 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious06 View Post
A POWER washer ? Isn't that a little much for under the hood ? How could you get that much crap in there to wash anyway ?
Yep, Power washer. Before I wash my car (with power washer) I clean under the hood with a soapy rag. Then shoot it off with my power washer.

http://www.rtrumps.com/

Upgrades:
Tinted Windows
Kappa CAI
Clear Image Shorty Header
Clear Image High-Flow Cat
Magnaflow Catback
GXP Black grill
Kappa reBar
Gentex GENK42 Autodimming Mirror w/ Homelink
2.4L Big-Bore Throttle Body
GM Roadster ECM Flash
rtrumps is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #19 (permalink)

I spray all kinds of degreaser goo on mine then drive it into the lake to wash it off...
Dorf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-19-2008, 08:51 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorf View Post
I spray all kinds of degreaser goo on mine then drive it into the lake to wash it off...
At least it is easy to see red underwater

Mysterious GXP
May you always be topless with a full tank
NASSOA Founding Member #95
Cheers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 04:18 PM   #21 (permalink)

It seems to be just fine to get anything in the engine bay wet. I wash it just like I do the outside of the car. I used meguiars gold class soap and a microfiber sponge. Then when don't I use my power washer to clean it off.

But dam if the leaf blower isn't the best way to dry a car. Works amazing under the hood even more.
turboman808 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2008, 05:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

Here is the regiment that I used on my LS1 Trans Am when it was my Daily driver. I did this once every 3-4 weeks. I'm sure most of the process can be used on just about any engine.

When cleaning your engine you want it to be cool. Best time to do it is first thing in the morning on a day you don't have anything to do but spend time with the car.
Supplies you'll need:
-Simple Green
-Toilet brush or dish brush (something with soft to medium bristles)
-Old tooth brush
-water hose (low pressure)
-assorted dry towels
-cleaner wax
-regular polish/wax (whatever you usually use for the body panels)
-aluminum/metal polish
-Armor All
-aluminum foil
-CD2 Engine Detailer(optional)
First I start out using the aluminum foil to cover electronic components of the engine that I don't want to get wet. That being the PCM at the Top passenger side and the Coil packs on the engine itself. The coil packs are the black pieces on top of the Valve covers. Once those are covered with the tin foil in a way that you encase it so no water can get on them.
Next, spray the engine compartment down with low pressure water. Don't go crazy with it like a madman just gently rinse down the painted areas of the bay and the engine itself, all the plastic and aluminum.
Then spray the entire compartment down with a diluted mixture of Simple Green and water. Let soak for a minute and then agitate the dirty areas with the toilet/dish brush and tooth brush for small areas. Get down in the cracks and crevices and be sure to scrub all the black wire looms that are wrapped around the wires.
Once you believe you have all the stubborn dirt loosened then rinse the compartment with the low pressure water(I use a multi spray head on the "shower" setting) Be sure to get all the Simple Green cleaned off.
Once you have it all rinsed down, grab some towels and start hand drying/cleaning.
Take a look at it and if its still not clean in some areas then repeat the cleaning process with the Simple Green and use the brushes to get all the areas small and large. Rinse again and towel dry.

Now your engine bay should be fairly clean. You want to leave the hood open and let it air dry for a few hours before starting the car. If you have an electric leafblower handy then use that and save some time!

While you are doing this you can polish up some of the metal fittings on the hoses and such. The AC accumulator and its fittings is a fine piece that can be polished to a mirror shine.

To get all the Black plastic looking really nice just spray on some Armor All and let soak in. No need to wipe it off immediately.

For all the body color areas of the engine bay you want to towel off any excess water or Armor All and get out the cleaner wax. Follow the instructions and just wax the heck out of the wheel wells and all the Painted areas. buff off the wax as it hazes and then if you want use your regular wax/polish on top of the cleaner wax to seal it.

Now you can wipe down the areas that you sprayed with Armor All as you don't want it to accumulate too much dust.

Another option is CD2 Engine Detailer. It can be difficult to find but once the engine is clean and dry, just spray the entire bay with it and it looks amazing! The year that I used CD2 at the Southern Trans Am Regionals is the year that I won 1st place in my class.

All the black plastic can be cleaned to better than new using a cleaner wax. If your plastic has water spots and you want them gone as well as nice new shiny plastic, break out the Mequiars cleaner wax and go at it.

Well, thats about it I believe. Good luck with your cleaning!
Show Car: 2002 Trans Am Collector Edition #619 "Falcon"
Fun Car and Daily Driver: 2009 N/A Aggressive Solstice! "Chief"
(ordered 6/28/08 - Built 7/23/08 - Delivered 9/12/08)

Last edited by BANDITCAR; 06-23-2008 at 05:57 PM.
BANDITCAR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 04:11 PM   #23 (permalink)

I searched for the CD2 "stuff" and find cross references and weak testimonials for it's new version. Came across Detailer Professional degreaser and trim detailer on autogeek net. Gave it a shot this weekend.

And after

I'm still letting it dry. The claims are that it doesn't attract additional dirt, but after about 16 hours it still feels a little moist. Not tacky, but still wet. Of course I don't get a good test of it's dirt resistance until I drive the car.

Being that it's January in Michigan, that may be a while . . .
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM   #24 (permalink)

I use a detailer and keep it clean and neat lookin'
EarthNTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #25 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Dirt?

Whats that???
Attached Thumbnails
Cleaning under the hood-covers-trim-pieces-left-low.jpg   Cleaning under the hood-cover-trim-close.jpg  

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 AM   #26 (permalink)

Earth - what do you use?

Rob - I knew that was coming! lol
Old 01-28-2013, 08:17 AM   #27 (permalink)

I just spray the whole thing down with purple power let sit for a few minutes wash off with hose using hot water ( on cold engine ) Can be bought at wal mart, dollar general ECT. I do it once a year (car is in garage during winter ). I own an 06 and has not damaged anything. I think power washer has to mush power
Founding Member #99
red one is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 08:45 AM   #28 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenwire View Post
Earth - what do you use?

Rob - I knew that was coming! lol
Sorry,
I tried to resist but failed. . ..

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #29 (permalink)

Meguiars Detailer. It looks good and stays clean looking.

A toothbrush can be your best friend.

Last edited by EarthNTX; 01-28-2013 at 09:42 AM.
EarthNTX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2013, 10:14 AM   #30 (permalink)

red - agreed on the power washer, that's going to get you into trouble.

I used a collection of my tapered wheel brushes and some foam detailing "sticks". At first I thought there was no way I could get the whole area done before the degreaser started drying but it was surprising how quickly it went. It was definitely drier after a full 24 hours so I don't think it's going to attract dust/dirt.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.