Convertible Top Cleaner - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Car Care and Detailing Forum
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
Yep, bought the fabric gaurd kit in the green box. For canvas tops.... Just really disappointing and to see it run down the windows after it rained the way it did... I'm not very happy with it! I will post pics of my windows tonight!
Hmm, then maybe you over-applied. Supposed to do several light coats (like paint )
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 12:07 PM   #17 (permalink)

Rut ro... I have the 303 and there's nothing petrolium-based about the fabric guard. Wonder how tough it's going to be to get the aerospace protectant off the canvas
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 12:27 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Ghost View Post
I decided to buy and try 303. Not a fan! The cleaner was fine, it was the conditioner that I have an issue with. I thought I read somewhere not to use a petroleum based product on the cloth top? I can tell you, its a petroleum based product! I followed the instructions, word for word with the conditioner. I did this Sunday morning. It had more then 48 hours to "cure". It rained last night and had NO water repelancy at all!! Furthermore, yesterday when I got in my car, I could smell the petroleum smell inside my vehicle. After the rain last night, I now have oily streaks running down my side windows. If its done that to the windows, I can only image its also done it to the paint. I'm not very pleased with 303!!! Just my $0.02. I will now get off my soapbox.
Just bought this as well and did not have the same experience. Water beads up great, and no petroleum smell, I wonder if yours was miss bottled?
06CoolSolstice is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 08:43 PM   #19 (permalink)

Notice the lines running down the window from the rain! I'm beginning to wonder if it was miss bottled! It's very "oily" smelling. It left a NASTY film on the paint where I did get some on it. I also double checked and it is for the fabric convertible tops. Not for use with the vinyl convertible tops.

Last edited by The_Ghost; 10-23-2012 at 08:47 PM.
The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 08:59 PM   #20 (permalink)

Here's the pics:

Notice by the WARNING: what is says!!!

The_Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-23-2012, 09:54 PM   #21 (permalink)

I've never used 303's cleaner. I only clean the top with the same car wash I do the rest of the car in. But I do use 303's protectant twice a year. I get a small amount of residue on my side windows, but nothing like you seem to be getting. And the residue dries to an almost powdery finish. I can literally wipe it off with my finger, so it's not oily like yours seems to be. I also apply mine with a paint brush. I find it easier to keep off the body and rest of car than spraying.

I also wash my windows, inside and out with Stoner's Invisible Glass, and then Rain-X all exterior glass, and even the sideview mirrors. Maybe the rain-x helps to keep the residue away? Maybe you're putting too much on?
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 03:54 PM   #22 (permalink)

I Applied the Surf City Convertible Top Cleaner to my Solstice today. Called and talked to Matt at Surf City before using the product. He suggested that the best way to use the cleaner is to first wet the top. Next spray the product onto a small towel and rub it onto the top. Then rinse it off with a hose.

It was easy to do and I am very happy with the results.

The first photo is a before shot, the next two are after.
Attached Thumbnails
Convertible Top Cleaner-wash-solstice-top-4-.jpg   Convertible Top Cleaner-wash-solstice-top-10-.jpg   Convertible Top Cleaner-wash-solstice-top-11-.jpg  

Last edited by Jack19; 01-11-2013 at 03:56 PM.
Jack19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 04:50 PM   #23 (permalink)

I use Raggtopp.

Never had a problem with it. I like the results.

Mean 2008 GXP
Acquired 6/21/10 with 1275 miles on it - Summer Solstice !

Deep 2009 NA Coupe
Acquired 11/2/13 with 1040 miles on it
sirwm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 05:30 PM   #24 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwm View Post
I use Raggtopp.

Never had a problem with it. I like the results.

Yep

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2013, 08:39 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post
I Applied the Surf City Convertible Top Cleaner to my Solstice today. Called and talked to Matt at Surf City before using the product. He suggested that the best way to use the cleaner is to first wet the top. Next spray the product onto a small towel and rub it onto the top. Then rinse it off with a hose.

Thanks. I'll have to try that. I was spraying it onto a dry top, and using a soft brush. My method causes far too much over-spray and waste.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 AM   #26 (permalink)

I use a paint brush to apply it instead of a spray bottle. I find it helps to keep it off the paint this way. I pretty much soak the top each time. And I've never had a problem with streaking/runs.

When was the last time the top got wet before you applied the 303? Before I use 303, I usually wash the car at least 24 hours ahead of time. Even if I leave it in the sun on a warm day.

How long after you applied the 303 did the top get wet? It has happened that it has rained the next day after applying it, and water beaded great with no runs.

This was taken with a crappy camera phone about 2 weeks after applying 303.

Last edited by Carbon Sky; 01-12-2013 at 01:10 AM.
Carbon Sky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack19 View Post

I used this method this weekend, and it worked really well. I might suggest cutting up one small rag so that you can get into the pointed and other tight areas around the rear window. The suggested paint brush method would do it as well.
omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #28 (permalink)

I ordered and received the Raggtop "kit" this week and used it over the past couple of nights. It came with a natural bristle brush which worked well, but I suggest "scrubbing" something else with it before using on the top. (It left a few bristles behind that I had to follow up and pick off with my fingers.) Typical of most any brush, I just wish I'd have thought of it before I used it.

The results are very impressive - used the cleaner and 24 hours later put on 3 light coats of the protectant. (Should have done the before and after like Jack did above.) I had previously used an upholstery cleaner from a local auto supply store and though it did a good job, but the Raggtop was a HUGE improvement over that stuff.

Only issue I have is that the protectant is an aerosol. Have any users of the Raggtop used a brush or rag to apply it? The overspray was a nuisance.

I also considered making a mask for the rear glass that could be applied when treating the rear fabric. I think I could do that fairly easily - might even be able to supply to forum members if there's an interest?
Old 01-24-2013, 09:40 PM   #29 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I point the spraw toward the fabric at an acute angle so very little overspray. I use detail spray and it cleans up easily

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 06:38 PM   #30 (permalink)

Agreed Rob. It wasn't difficult to clean up at all, just a "nuisance".
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.