Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Nanoskin v Clay Bar

8K views 37 replies 13 participants last post by  chickenwire 
#1 ·
Nanoskin makes a wash mitt in a few grades that supposedly replaces the need for clay barring your paint prior to polishing. I've read quite a few reviews including some by people who detail for a living. Seems like it's as effective as barring but much faster.

Any Kappa owners try it?

#5 ·
I use the Nanoskin sponges, fine and medium and the medium pad for a DA polisher. They are faster as you don't need to keep folding/kneading them to clean clay and can just lubricate and go. I think they last longer as well. I've done probably 10-12 cars and they are just starting to wear out (I do friends cars as a hobby). I've noticed no marring and all cars pass the baggie test afterwards.

#6 ·
Did some "speed detailing" this past weekend. A good friend of my wife's was coming to visit and I've been bugging her to let me detail the paint on her Sebring. She refuses because she doesn't want me to "be working" when she visits.

So in an hour and a half I scrubbed the convertible top, washed head to toe, used the nanoskin mitt (which appeared to work very well), D/A polished the horizontal panels (I was running out of time and the paint was oxidized enough that I had to polish those panels TWICE, even with a more aggressive polish), then applied sealant and a final buff-out. It was far from perfect but a tremendous improvement.

I was dripping in sweat when I was done. You usually don't think "cardio" when you think of detailing a car!

Went so quick I didn't even get before and after pics!

#7 ·
So I had an interesting experience this weekend. I have used a particular brand of clay bar for several years. I thought it was getting old so I bought some similar from a different supplier.
When I attempted to clean my car, which has overspray from treating my driveway last fall (yes I know) the new clay bar did not seem to work at all. I rubbed the crap out of the car and it was as bad after the effort as it was before.

So I went to my old clay bar and it sounded like a grinder was working on the hood as it pulled all the overspray off the car. I was astounded at the difference in the two compounds. One worked well and the other not at all.

Not a result I had anticipated.

#8 ·
Have to confirm the brand but I think my last batch of clay was Simoniz and it became very "spongy" during use. Not as stiff as other clays I had used. I suspected contamination with other cleaning products may have caused it and tossed the one bar.

#9 ·
So....going to buy a nanoskin washmitt, but wanted to know, fine or medium? I DA my car afterward anyway, so I was thinking medium just to make sure everything is off of it. Suggestions?

#12 ·
CR is spot on. If your paint is in good shape the fine is your choice.

Wanted to do the pick up last weekend but realized I had 500 miles of travel this past weekend so it was silly to do so until the drive was over.

#13 · (Edited)
WOW!!!! How easy this is compared to clay barring!! We went on a family trip a week ago and stayed in northern Michigan. My parent's red Charger was parked under a tree the entire time. Between all the bugs and fine tree sap, I thought the car would never be clean again. In just an hour and a half (that's figured with washing the car too!!) the paint was smooth as glass again. I highly recommend a Nanoskin!! It's so easy!

#15 ·
I have also used Mothers Speed Clay 2 and it worked very well Was very impressed with the results

#16 ·
Nanoskin is the only way to go. 10x faster then clay bars and much easier to use.

#18 ·
UPDATE - the nanoskin states it is not resistant to solvens. THEY MEAN THAT!

I was trying to get the pickup's paint detailed and sealed so that included "skinning" the paint. I noticed some tar had been picked up so I ended up using some WD40 to get the specks off. Thought I had rinsed that panel well, but didn't wash it. Next thing I knew the skin was leaving a grey residue on the paint. I thought maybe the rubber surface of the nanoskin would "set up" after standing but the next morning it was still like putty.

I will be purchasing another as it is so much faster than clay. BUT MAKE SURE YOU TREAT IT RIGHT!

#21 ·
Yeah Chicken, don't press down too hard either....or you leave grey marks. I was trying to get some bug residue off of the bumper of my parents Charger after our family trip north and I couldn't get rid of this one bug....pressed hard and now I have a grey streak I can't get rid of!!! Actually it finally came off about a week later when I rubbed it with my finger.

#23 ·
Just ordered a received Griot's new "Synthetic Clay Bar" product (see image) and also got mine with a promo free bottle of Speed Shine. I did 1/2 of the GXP Envious a week ago with the regular "silly putty" Griot clay bar and will do the other half soon with this. On advantage I see could be the hand hold shape, ease of use around small and curved surface front and rear, easy cleaning, and longer life . Will let you know what I think later.

Attachments

#24 ·
Nanoskin still working great. Did the SUV in preparation for wax before the snow flew.

I'll reiterate that if you keep your paint in good shape, it's easier to keep it in good shape. "Clayed" with the nanoskin after a wash and it only took about 1/2 hour. Paint was still in good enough shape that polishing wasn't necessary - straight to sealant. My first go-around on this Explorer, when brand new, took about 8-10 hours. Detailing everything now, including the plastic trim, removing the wheels for a thorough cleaning and waxing, took about 3 - 4 hours. (I spread it over two days because, well it was raining outside and there was football on both Saturday and Sunday.)

#25 ·
I asked our resident expert. He sells both claybar and the equivalent of nanoskin. He told us that the nanoskin works but has a greater chance of leaving micro scratches. I gave mine to others and will stick with the claybar. I have enough issues removing swirl marks

#26 ·
I would think just the opposite. The clay holds all of the dirt and is much more abrasive then the nanoskin. The nanoskin you dip in your wash bucket so all of the contaminates come off during that time. Where clay they're stuck in the clay. Oh well... I've yet to run my Charger through a touch car wash. It's ceramic coated so I found a touchless I've been using. It's been doing a great job. I highly recommend ceramic coating if your car is preped properly and you have the time and energy to put it on!

#27 ·
I am just sharing the information I got from a person who is very successful in the business. The clay absorbs foreign particles and if used with proper lubricant will not scratch. I understand that many have different experiences.

#28 ·
I would believe the clay would be more forgiving in that contaminants would "sink" into the clay and not be prone to abrading the paint surface. The "skin" would not be as forgiving, BUT the contaminants would be released if you rinse frequently as you should. I always wipe the surface of the skin with my hand in the rinse bucket to make sure nothing is left on the surface before I "lube" and do the next section.

The flip side of this is that while the clay would "absorb" the contaminants more easily, it also retains them. Hence the reason why you should dispose of the clay after so many uses - you knead the clay and you eventually are bringing contaminants back to the surface.

For me, the speed and longevity of the skin offsets the need to make sure it's thoroughly rinsed and cleaned between every section.

#29 ·
I have used the Mothers claybar and have been very happy with the results. I have not used the nanoskin so I can not comment on if or how well it works. I'm the kind of guy who sticks with what I know works so I'm not sure I'll be changing my ways.

#31 ·
You think your arm gets tired? Spent 2.5 hours last night using the 'skin on this thing. ...

well... I gotta ask 'why ?' :huh:

That item that is in the picture is not something that I would think would be worthy of such special TLC...

Reactions: The_Ghost
#36 ·
Until this weekend. The '97 doesn't have much of a market value so I'm cutting a deal with my son. If he and his wife can get a few more years out of it, more power to them.

After that it's probably going to end up being someone's hunting camp.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.