Removing Front Badge - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Car Care and Detailing Forum
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #1 (permalink)

Removing Front Badge

I did a search in General Tech and in Detailing for front emblem removal and front badge removal. Nothing turned up, so let that be this post.

Anyhow, previous owner backed into the front of the car. It left some scratches and bent the emblem up on the bottom. I've done everything (Maguires Scratch Cover, etc), and the scratches are there to stay. They look good for a day or two, but then come back, but you have to be looking for them and you have to be pretty close. I'm OK with the scratches, but will take any suggestions.

The purpose of the post is to ask how to remove that front emblem. On the forum, I learned how to and have completed the total rear de-badge, but those are just glued on. How do I remove the front badge? I am going to replace it with a new one.

omw41 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Good luck.

That front emblem is the only one which is bolted on.
Have to get behind it to remove & replace.
Old 11-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Quote:
Originally Posted by KappaKadet View Post
That front emblem is the only one which is bolted on.
Have to get behind it to remove & replace.
The front emblem is merely held in place by adhesive tape and two prongs that go into the fascia. I've had mine out, front end bump, taking it totally off will leave you with two holes. Mine was sightly bent and while trying to fix the bend it broke off so I regaled it back together and using 3M automotive tape, reinstalled it. Same with the side panel emblems, prongs and tape hold them in place.

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member

Last edited by MomsSol; 11-22-2012 at 03:48 PM.
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol View Post
The front emblem is merely held in place by adhesive tape and two prongs that go into the fascia. I've had mine out, front end bump, taking it totally off will leave you with two holes. Mine was sightly bent and while trying to fix the bend it broke off so I regaled it back together and using 3M automotive tape, reinstalled it. Same with the side panel emblems, prongs and tape hold them in place.
Got it. Did you just use floss (or mono-filament line) to loosen it up?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:58 PM   #5 (permalink)

Hmmmm?

Have removed the side Pontiac emblems from an '06 and there were no prongs and no holes. Tape only.

This is how that front badge is mounted from an '07.

Last edited by KappaKadet; 11-22-2012 at 05:08 PM.
KappaKadet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 05:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Mine is a 07 as well, only tape and the two prongs on the back of the emblem.

Curious...very curious!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Old 11-22-2012, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by omw41 View Post
Got it. Did you just use floss (or mono-filament line) to loosen it up?
Accident...it more or less removed itself, the adhesive tape was barely holding it on.

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Old 11-22-2012, 06:25 PM   #8 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
My 07 had bolts. One for each fender, and three on the front as in the picture. Born on date July

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 06:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Have removed the side Pontiac emblems from an '06 and there were no prongs and no holes. Tape only.

Solstice Base Premium Package Born Feb 2008

After seeing your picture I went out to look and photograph mine. There's a plastic piece that needs to come off before I can see what mine looks like. I took a photo of it, but it's not worth posting. You can't really see anything. Once I get the plastic piece off, I'll post pictures. Yours almost looks like it is on the clam shell itself, but that can't be right, right? For sure, mine is on the fascia, but the plastic piece prevents seeing behind it right now. I've had a couple hard lemonades today, so I am going to wait until tomorrow to pull the plastic piece off and get a look behind it.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:51 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:

Early 2006 cars had a locator hole in the fender. It was eliminated in early production.
g8gt09 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2012, 12:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

Mine had a bolt and alignment prong on the fenders. July 2007

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 11-24-2012, 02:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

2008 Base Premium Package

Here's the link for the emblem. Based on my research, the price is average.
2006-2010 Pontiac Solstice Front Bumper Emblem Genuine OEM New

Here's why I need to change it.

Here's what I am up against.

Ok. I can figure out how to pull the obvious bolts in picture two. Pictures 1-3-4 have those clip type fasteners. I'll have to get behind them to hold the bolts and in Pic 4 that looks impossible. You are looking at it with the clam shell open. Anyone ever done this?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:12 PM   #13 (permalink)

2008 Solstice Base. I completed the project today.
To remove/ replace the emblem you have to take the bumper off. Here's how I did it.

I put the car up on ramps; it makes it easier to get underneath to pull out the plastic fasteners.

First, I removed the 7mm bolts along the top. Don't forget the corner where the side marker lights bolt up.

Second, I removed the 7 mm bolts from the fender well to the bumper.

Third, I went underneath and popped out the plastic fasteners. The local True Value had a decent selection of plastic auto fasteners back where they sell single fasteners.

Fourth, I removed the 10mm bolts that hold the fascia/bumper to the frame.

At this point there is nothing holding it on. Now it's just a matter of wiggling it the right way to get it loose at the corners. Once you do that it will come off in your hands. Don't fear. It is super light and mine rested very nicely in place without anything holding it. This is when I found it the easiest to pull out the bulbs for the signals, fog, and side markers. Once I had the bumper off, I had the wife come out to the garage, and hold the bumper up in the air while I pulled the bulbs.

The emblem is on with speed nuts. Be careful putting the new one on. The speed nuts cut threads on the plastic posts as you crank down. Crank too far, and you'll snap one. Ask me how I know that.

Before

After

It was easy to put the bumper back on. Just do the assembly in reverse starting with the 7mm bolts on the top. Put everything back together, but do not tighten anything up until everything lines up. I did it by myself (no help from the wife), in about an hour.

Last edited by omw41; 12-08-2012 at 09:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:59 PM   #14 (permalink)

Good job

I think I went through the grille hole because I dod not pull the bumper when I took mine off 5 years ago

Punisher's Daddy

Punisher's story

Old 12-09-2012, 12:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob the elder View Post
Good job

I think I went through the grille hole because I dod not pull the bumper when I took mine off 5 years ago
Thanks. I can see your way working, but it might be tight, and with my luck, both the plastic license plate bracket and the plastic grills would break. The plate bracket is only held in with posts (in red) and adhesive tape, but it looks pretty strong. The grille is held in with a series of "clips" (in yellow), but to be honest I have never had either one of them off, so it might be a better and faster way to change the emblem.

On the other hand, as wild as it sounds, it might be easier to remove the whole bumper. Also, I know you respect and understand the advantages of having the bumper off for the first time and being able to "get a good look" at things.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.