Tow Hooks - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > General Solstice Discussion > Autocross and Racing Discussion (Solstice/Kappa)
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tow Hooks

A while back I ran across a set of tow hooks that fit the Solstice (front and rear), but seem to be unable to find them again. The closest Iíve come is an article referencing a set made by Pratt & Miller in regards to prepping the Solstice for SCCA (no link or other info on part I could find). Have any of the weekend warriors installed a set of tow hooks and/or have a good recommendation for places to look?

Thanks
Tugeaux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2010, 02:46 PM   #2 (permalink)
Founding Member

I would talk to Phoenix Racing... they set up all sorts of SCCA type cars, and have done a few Kappa's to boot.

http://michigankappaclub.ning.com - The Michigan Kappa Club (MKC) Website

Michigan Kappa Club - Welcome Thread
rlhammon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 06:18 PM   #3 (permalink)

I will look them up. Thank ya much for the suggestion
Old 02-09-2010, 05:29 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm trying to find a tether type hook (nylon strap) to mount behind my drivers side grill.
It pops off pretty easily and it would be out of the way.
If i can't find one i'll probably end up using a normal hook but keep it behind the grill.
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #5 (permalink)

Are you looking to use this location to tow the vehicle on the road, or to pull it out of a ditch? Quite different requirements -
gz9gjg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 05:43 AM   #6 (permalink)

not tow it down the road or out of a ditch.
Just if it breaks on course at a race. right now i really don't have any where good to hook to.
DrJones is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
not tow it down the road or out of a ditch.
Just if it breaks on course at a race. right now i really don't have any where good to hook to.
Alex, as low as the car is there may be problems with the upward angle to the tow vehicle, and the strap could damage to bumper skin, unless it is a horizontal hook that extends beyond the front lip of the skin. Make it WIDE enough and it might give some downforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snaponbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-10-2010, 12:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaponbob View Post
Make it WIDE enough and it might give some downforce!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
So, a combination tow hook/splitter? Never considered that. Interesting concept. Sounds similar to the combination exhaust tip/step ladder I had on my Chevelle pre-axle dump.

Before more is said, no I did not personally stand on them, but in high school a couple of drunk friends did to piss me off. However, I got my revenge. To this day there is still a 67 Mustang belonging to my buddy Jon (one of the culprits) that is missing some chrome (felt bad about this until one of his great danes tore a 13" long hole in the rear seat's ORIGINAL upholstery a few days later )
Old 02-10-2010, 04:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Disclaimer ---- The "splitter" reference was 100% tongue in cheek.
snaponbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2010, 06:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
ytr

some one could tell me were could we buy the Pratt & Miller tow hook
ytr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2012, 09:40 AM   #11 (permalink)

I really love the Pratt & Miller design and contacted them earlier in the week. This is the response:

Quote:
We don't have any tow hooks in stock they were only made for the set up project it would not be cost effective to make just hook. You should be able to buy a universal tow hook from various suppliers.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but his statement about it only being made "for the set up project" isn't entirely correct. I know I've seen these--or at least nearly identical hooks with the exact same attention to form--on a couple of race-prepped Solstices.

Coming up with a template which mirrors their design (non-commercially) would be fairly simple and is something I'm willing to do, but since I'm not a materials expert, it's not clear what gauge steel they used for handling the car weight on wheels.

DDM and Werks both seem to pull off these sorts of projects. I contacted the former a while back and never got a reply. Having a tow hook simply to reduce the risk of body damage from a random tower would be well worth the cost and trouble of installing one.

Images for reference:

-Jeff
ToxicGumbo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

tow hook mod

In my ongoing research the best configuration for a front hook would be one that is folding in nature. I have found several companies that manufactures a folding type that satisfies race rules.

Image that with a fixed piece extending forward past the bumper the two driver are bumper to bumper and the front driver slows down. The first car is likely to get
drilled... image again from this incident two cars are joined by the hook that somehow attached to the other.

This is why a folding style is recommended by various racing organizations. The trouble that I am looking into is Where to attach a bracket that accepts the tow hook. I beleive that the front cowel support arm could be that place. There is almost four inches from the bolt to the front grill.

Once the front bumper comes off I will look into fabrication. I have spoken to DDM and sent Dave some info and will follow up there too

2008 Solstice GXP, Cool.

Hp Tune; GMPP Turbo Upgrade Kit, GM Perfomance Brake Reservior, ZOK Anti-Sway Bars; DDMWorks Backbone Brace, LV Front Brace and Pro-Beam; MagnaFlow Performmance Exhaust; Performance AutoWerks High Flow Catayltic Converter, Street Perfomance InterCooler, WR-1 Turbo Upgrade; DeJon Complete IC Piping Kit and Lower Intake Pipe; K & N Filter; Norm's Front Splitter; Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Extra Dark Tinted Windows. Lets not forget a heavy foot..........
SBUTCHER2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #13 (permalink)

tow hook mod

A folding style is likely the best way to go and recommended by various racing organizations. I believe that the there is room in back of the grill with an attachment to the frame by the front support arm and IC bracket. There is almost four inches from the bolt to the front grill. I have spoken to DDM and sent Dave some info and he is looking into this project. Since there is not one specific product that meets our requirements I will follow up and sincerely hope something can be fabricated.

2008 Solstice GXP, Cool.

Hp Tune; GMPP Turbo Upgrade Kit, GM Perfomance Brake Reservior, ZOK Anti-Sway Bars; DDMWorks Backbone Brace, LV Front Brace and Pro-Beam; MagnaFlow Performmance Exhaust; Performance AutoWerks High Flow Catayltic Converter, Street Perfomance InterCooler, WR-1 Turbo Upgrade; DeJon Complete IC Piping Kit and Lower Intake Pipe; K & N Filter; Norm's Front Splitter; Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Extra Dark Tinted Windows. Lets not forget a heavy foot..........

Last edited by SBUTCHER2; 01-25-2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:15 PM   #14 (permalink)

Get out of my head! I've been looking for a folding towhook. I've seen some on ebay that are for the vw gti's that looked long enough. Let us know what happeneds with dave, id love to buy one that would fit the from the driver side grill out. Goodluck with your search.
STEREO: ALPINE SPS-610C, PRECISION POWER 8"
DEBADGED
A.E.M: COLD AIR INTAKE
MAGNAFLOW: DUAL EXHAUST
GXP PARTS: BUMPER, SPOILER, FULL FE3 SUSPENSION
EIBACH SPRINGS: SPORT LINE
KAPPASPHERE: REBAR
DDMWORKS: RACE BACK BONE
NORMS FIBERGLASS: DUAL REAR DIFFUSER
ASAP.DIGITAL.IMAGING: SLOTTED BACK UP LIGHTS,SIDEMARKERS,THRID BRAKE LIGHT,TRANSFORMER OVERLAYS
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
SOLSTICE-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:28 AM   #15 (permalink)

Tow Hook Bracket

It is the bracket that is the holdup. I would like to go through the grill and not have to worry about cutting into the bumper. For strength we might be able to utilize the ic mounting bracket that attaches to the frame. Installation then could be from underneath.

2008 Solstice GXP, Cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.