Staggered Wheel/Tire Project Underway - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Tires & Wheels
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2013, 09:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Staggered Wheel/Tire Project Underway

I am in the process of going to a staggered wheel arrangement now that I have time since the Batmobile is put away for the winter (it does not like the salt). With the posi-traction and recent power improvements, the rear end gets quite loose during acceleration whether in the wet or the dry. I need more rubber with better grip at the back. Although the 19 and 20 inch rims are the in thing, I wanted to stay with the 18" rims due to those frequent monster pot holes that continually plague the streets of Hamilton and seem to eat up 19 and 20" wheels.

I have also heard that the Hankook Ventus V12's have really good grip in the dry and the wet so I purchased a set of 245/45ZR18 for the front and a set of 275/40ZR18 for the back. They arrived in 4 days from The Tire Rack. Both these tires sizes have the exact same outside diameter as the stock tires at 26.7" so problems with accurate spedometer readings and the anti-lock brake system should not occur. See photo below of the tires. In this photo they do not look like the same diameter but they are. The 275's are on the left.

I have ordered 4 TSW Interlagos 18X9 5-114.3 63 SMF (Silver Machined Face) Wheels for all 4 corners from Discount Tire Direct which will fit both the 245 and 275 tires. They are due to arrive by UPS tomorrow. Can't wait. Will post a photo of these wheels after they arrive and before I get the tires mounted and balanced on them.

I have chosen to secure them with 23 mm hub-centric/wheel-centric adapters to go from the 5-110 mm solstice bolt arrangement to the 5-114.3 mm (typical FORD wheels which increases the wheel choices significantly). The adapters should also give the car a wider stance moving the centre line of the wheels out 15 mm on both sides.

According to my calculations comparing these Wheel/Tire arrangements with stock rims having an offset of +55 mm and a 6.7" backspace:

Front (with same tire size as stock 245/45R18):
63 mm offset = 8 mm further in (63-55),
23 mm adapter = 23 mm further out,
Total center line change is 15 mm further out (23-8)
Backspace (allowing for the 9" wide wheel) is 6.6" which is 0.1" less than stock (0.1" more clearance).

Rear (with 30 mm wider tire 275/40R18):
63 mm offset = 8 mm further in (63-55),
23 mm adapter = 23 mm further out,
Total center line change is 15 mm further out (23-8),
Backspace (allowing for the 9" wide wheel) is 6.6" which is 0.1" less than stock (0.1" more clearance),
Outside of tire moves an addtional 15 mm out (30 mm width increase/2),
Total shift of the outside rear tire is 30 mm (15 mm center shift + 15 mm tire)

Since I have not lowered the car, I should have plenty of room in the wheel wells. I will keep you posted with photos as the project advances. Still waiting for the 23 mm adapters to arrive from Motorsport Tech. I just ordered them.

I will be selling my chrome wheels and stock GXP tires after I have completed this project. The wheels are in PERFECT condition with not one mark on them and the tires have about 1/4 inch of tread left on them.
Attached Thumbnails
Staggered Wheel/Tire Project Underway-new-tires.jpg  

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.

Last edited by topdowneh; 02-04-2013 at 07:37 PM. Reason: Typos
topdowneh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)

By that logic, do you think adapters will work on TSW Snettertons?

19X8 5-114.3 40C
19X8 5-114.3 40HS
*either in front?

19X9.5 5-114.3 40C
19X9.5 5-114.3 40HS
*either in rear?
sbindley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 12:38 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
By that logic, do you think adapters will work on TSW Snettertons?

19X8 5-114.3 40C
19X8 5-114.3 40HS
*either in front?

19X9.5 5-114.3 40C
19X9.5 5-114.3 40HS
*either in rear?
The adapters should do the trick. Click on the link below that will show you what is going on. Punch in your numbers and you will see all the shifting and backspace numbers. With the 23 mm adapters, your centre line will shift 23 mm out plus another 15 mm for the offset difference (55 stock - 40 = another 15 mm further out for a total of 38 mm (23 plus 15) which is about 1.5 inches further out per side. Check your wheel wells to see if you would have the clearance. Motorsport tech will make the adapters down to 3/4 inch but not any thinner than that.

Custom rims, wheel tire packages for your ride - RIMSnTIRES.com

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.
Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the link - I pasted what came up below. They claim a "direct fit package," but not sure how they define that. They show the tire as 265/35-19's all around. I'll have to do more digging and see if Discount Tire agrees and can put this together:

19'' packages for 2009 Pontiac Solstice
Package Price
TSW Snetterton Hyper Silver wheels
19x8.0 PCD 5x110 ET40, 6.1"BS $339.70 each
wheels only:
$1,358.80
buy install kit included

DIRECT FIT package.
sbindley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Just got my wheels today as expected. Rotary Forged TSW Interlagos 18X9 with a 63 mm offset and a 5-114.3 bolt pattern. Each wheel has a protective cover over it to keep the finish perfect.

Protective cover:

Outside of wheel:

Inside of wheel (recessed areas are perfect to allow for a 28 mm stud sticking out about 1/8 inch with a 23 mm adapter). Will show photos of adapters when they arrive. Do not know exactly how much the studs will be protruding but with these recessed areas where the studs will go, who cares.

Top view showing the 9 spokes almost flush with the outside rim:

Next step will be to take these tires and mount and balance them on the wheels. Got to take them to a reputable shop to ensure they are not scratched and properly balanced. Can't wait to see what these 275's will look like on the rear. Stay tuned

Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbindley View Post
Thanks for the link - I pasted what came up below. They claim a "direct fit package," but not sure how they define that. They show the tire as 265/35-19's all around. I'll have to do more digging and see if Discount Tire agrees and can put this together:

19'' packages for 2009 Pontiac Solstice
Package Price
TSW Snetterton Hyper Silver wheels
19x8.0 PCD 5x110 ET40, 6.1"BS $339.70 each
wheels only:
$1,358.80
buy install kit included

DIRECT FIT package.
Package looks pretty good. The 265/35R19's would be awesome. I know that some kappa owners have put 275's on an our stock 8" rim so the 265's might be OK. Good idea to let Discount Tire check it out. With the 5-110 stud pattern you are should be good to go "direct fit".

Old 02-02-2013, 09:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

topdowneh - great job and thanks for the info and legwork!! I'm really anxious to see everything on the car. I just might go the exact same route that you did with the only difference being the tires as we will likely opt for something that is almost exclusively track oriented.

Which lug and thread size did you choose and why and are you assured that the lug nut taper is correct for your chosen lug and wheel?

Thanks again for the info!
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

Can't wait to see the pics of the new meats installed

I'm not short, I'm concentrated AWESOME
elff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 12:47 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolTech View Post
topdowneh - great job and thanks for the info and legwork!! I'm really anxious to see everything on the car. I just might go the exact same route that you did with the only difference being the tires as we will likely opt for something that is almost exclusively track oriented.

Which lug and thread size did you choose and why and are you assured that the lug nut taper is correct for your chosen lug and wheel?

Thanks again for the info!
I'll start from the hub out: Motorsport Tech have now made the adapters and they are in the mail now. Hope they arrive next week. If you get on their website you will see that they are very precise in providing the proper nuts and studs for the application. They even provide the exact hub size (65.1 mm) to match the hub on the Solstice in order to keep the adapter perfectly centered and supported. They also provide the matching nuts that will fit the taper of their adapter and will fit the Solstice stud (12X1.5). Regarding the wheels, TSW has provided the exact nuts to fit their wheels and the studs from the adapter which are 12X1.5 also.

Will take photos of the adapters when they arrive plus photos of the installation plus photos of the car with wheels/tires before and after the install. Tires are being mounted and balanced on the wheels as I am writing now. Can't wait to see what the 245/45R18 and 275/40R18 will look like on the 9" wheels. Will take some photos.

See photo below of the 4 chrome valve stems ($3.00 each), 20 nuts and 4 antitheft nuts ($45.00) that match the taper of the wheels and thread that TSW provided.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

Just picked up my tires mounted and balanced on the wheels from Leggatt Motors in Burlington. They do a lot work on Corvettes so I figured they would have no problems with the mounting and balancing. They did a great job - not one mark on the wheels. In the photo, the tire on the left is the 275 and the one on the right is the 245. Very pleased with the rim positioning on both tires. Waiting for the adapters now.

Old 02-02-2013, 03:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

Those rear tires will probably stick out a bit, i'm running 275's on a 9" rim with 50mm offset and its just flush with the fender. However i'm running 2 degrees of negative camber which brings the top of the tire inside and also rolled my fenders a bit. Maybe it'll look ok who knows, but i think you should of done some more measuring on the actual car with the stock rims and tires.
Old 02-02-2013, 04:52 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
Those rear tires will probably stick out a bit, i'm running 275's on a 9" rim with 50mm offset and its just flush with the fender. However i'm running 2 degrees of negative camber which brings the top of the tire inside and also rolled my fenders a bit. Maybe it'll look ok who knows, but i think you should of done some more measuring on the actual car with the stock rims and tires.
Thanks Shabby, If you are flush with your rear fender with a 50 mm offset and a 9" rim plus a 275 tire, I calculate that you moved the outside of the rear 275 tire out 20 mm more than stock (55 mm stock offset minus your 50 mm offset = 5 mm further out) plus 1/2 of the 30 mm additional tire width (275 - 245) = 15 mm further out. Total outward movement of 20 mm (5 + 15).

My calculations suggest that my total outward shift will be 30 mm which is 10 mm more than you or < 1/2". If you are flush, I will be sticking out about 1/2". Here's my question. Are you flush looking at the sidewall, rim wall, or the tread that hits the road? If you can provide a photo, I would really appreciate it. Thanks Shabby.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #13 (permalink)

In this pic the offset was 52mm rather than 50mm, fenders weren't rolled and the camber was only -1.5.

Btw those spacers might need some extra machining if motorsport tech didn't take my advice when i got my spacers from them 2 years ago. They didn't sit flush against the hub because the hub is a couple mm wider near the rotor.

Last edited by shabby; 02-02-2013 at 06:00 PM.
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
In this pic the offset was 52mm rather than 50mm, fenders weren't rolled and the camber was only -1.5.

Btw those spacers might need some extra machining if motorsport tech didn't take my advice when i got my spacers from them 2 years ago. They didn't sit flush against the hub because the hub is a couple mm wider near the rotor.

Shabby, thanks for the photo of your rear tire/wheel well arrangement. It gives me a better understanding of what my settup will look like. It will be pretty much as I expected with my 275 tire sitting out another 1/2" more than yours. That's the look I was going for.

Thanks for the info on the spacer issue from Motorsport Tech. I hope Lenny Jr has made the appropriate dimension changes to better fit the hub flange. I paid extra $$ for him to machine the hub-centric adapters to fit the TSW Interlagos wheels also. He said that before he would start machining the adapters he would contact them to get the exact hub dimensions to fit their Interlagos wheels. Will let you know it they fit with photos.

Last edited by topdowneh; 02-04-2013 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 02-03-2013, 11:18 AM   #15 (permalink)

Should end up looking like mine for fit. I run the same size rubber.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.