Staggered Wheel/Tire Project Underway - Page 2 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Tires & Wheels
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2013, 01:49 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by King-Oka View Post
Should end up looking like mine for fit. I run the same size rubber.
WOW, that's the look I'm aiming for. Thanks King-Oka for posting the photo. Greatly appreciated.

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.
topdowneh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #17 (permalink)

Looks good, just was reading it's even possible for some wheel vendors to order blank wheels (no bolt pattern) then the wheel shop drills the bolt pattern (or contacts a machine shop) to drill a specified bolt pattern to fit a vehicle?

I've always wanted a big and little wheel staggered set up. Guesstimating 19 X 8.5 on front, 21 X 9 on rears. Basically using the wheel to enhance the rake of the car instead of the tire.

Last edited by ChopTop; 02-04-2013 at 08:31 AM.
ChopTop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-04-2013, 02:31 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopTop View Post
Looks good, just was reading it's even possible for some wheel vendors to order blank wheels (no bolt pattern) then the wheel shop drills the bolt pattern (or contacts a machine shop) to drill a specified bolt pattern to fit a vehicle?

I've always wanted a big and little wheel staggered set up. Guesstimating 19 X 8.5 on front, 21 X 9 on rears. Basically using the wheel to enhance the rake of the car instead of the tire.
Ya, with all the different bolt patters, this is a good idea, especially for us 5-110 people where our selection is limited. I wonder what the fabricating costs would be for the wheel shop to drill the holes.

My adapters have now left San Francisco and are headed for the border. Hope I don't get nailed for duty at the border, I have prepaid the shipping and the parts are made in the States (Free Trade Agreement).

Mods: Solo Hi-Flow Cat & Mach Shorty, GMPP Tune, T-Bolt Clamps, DDM Race Backbone Brace, TSW Interlagos Wheels, 245mm F, 275mm R, H&R Sport springs lowering kit, RKSport ram air hood, Cobalt Spoiler, Dual horns, Illuminated Windrestrictor, Red calipers, Night Raider 3rd brake light, Window tint, Wood grain dash kit, Fuse box cover, Reversing detectors, HID headlights, Stainless Steel grill, Front mud guards, DDM twin cup holder centre console.

Last edited by topdowneh; 02-18-2013 at 06:52 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 02-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdowneh View Post
Just picked up my tires mounted and balanced on the wheels from Leggatt Motors in Burlington. They do a lot work on Corvettes so I figured they would have no problems with the mounting and balancing. They did a great job - not one mark on the wheels. In the photo, the tire on the left is the 275 and the one on the right is the 245. Very pleased with the rim positioning on both tires. Waiting for the adapters now.

Hey TopDown, those are nice looking wheels. I'm looking to buy a new set for the Missis' car. We already have the rubber in the form of stock size Michelin Pilot SuperSports. Did you get dinged for customs to get them shipped to Canada?

Automatic, AC, Leather Seating, 6 CD Changer, Monsoon sound, XM radio, Sport Metallic Pedals, did I mention Automatic.

Since my better half doesn't drive stick ... tis better to get an automatic GXP than no GXP at all.
LilRedGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 03:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedGXP View Post
Hey TopDown, those are nice looking wheels. I'm looking to buy a new set for the Missis' car. We already have the rubber in the form of stock size Michelin Pilot SuperSports. Did you get dinged for customs to get them shipped to Canada?
I purchased the TSW Interlagos wheels through Discount Tire Direct. Great company to deal with. They charged me $200 ($50 per wheel) right up front to cover all the Canadian fees (taxes, duty, brokerage fees). Wheels flew through the border with UPS. I got a PM from Discount Tire Direct (DTD) saying the wheels were to arrive from TSW at their warehouse in the States on Jan 31. They actually arrived at DTD the day before on Jan 30 and they were delivered 2 days later to Stoney Creek Ontario the morning of Feb 1. Total cost was $1,211 for 4 wheels, Gorilla Wheel installation kit, and 4 chrome valve stems. I am very happy with the people, service and shipping performance of Discount Tire Direct. First time I have dealt with them and would do it again in a heart beat.

I just checked and there are no TSW Interlagos wheels that have our 5-110 Solstice bolt pattern. You could get the same wheels as me (18X9 with a 5-114.3 bolt pattern with an offset of 63 mm), then the 23 mm adapter from Motorsport Tech (or equivalent) to go from 5-110 to 5-114.3 bolt pattern. The tire/wheel arrangement on the right in the photo would be identical to yours with the Michelin tires. The 245/45R18's look nice on the 9" rim. Your net result would be moving the center line out 15 mm on each wheel or exactly the same as if you bought a set of wheels with an offset of 40 mm which a lot of people do (offset of 55 mm is stock). The 4 adapters that are hub-centric and wheel-centric (the best) has cost me $315 USD so far. They are at the border now. Will let you know if I get charged duty and such. The adapters were $60 each ($240 for 4) plus $20 for the 20 12 mm 1.5 OE lugnuts to attach the adapters, plus $55 shipping from Nevada. Will let you know if I have to pay anything else when I get them.

Last edited by topdowneh; 02-18-2013 at 06:33 AM. Reason: Corrections
Old 02-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #21 (permalink)

Quote:
Ya, with all the different bolt patters, this is a good idea, especially for us 5-110 people where our selection is limited. I wonder what the fabricating costs would be for the wheel shop to drill the holes.

My adapters have now left San Francisco and are headed for the border. Hope I don't get nailed for duty at the border, I have already paid the taxes and the parts are made in the States (Free Trade Agreement).
The adapters have now cleared Canadian Customs and are on their way to my place. Hope they arrive soon and fit the Solstice hub and also the machined hub on the adapters fits the TSW wheels. Shabby had problems with the adapter to Solstice hub fit a while back. I hope Motorsport Tech has corrected the fit issue. Shabby notified them about the problem about 2 years ago.

Old 02-06-2013, 06:12 PM   #22 (permalink)

Quote:
I hope Motorsport Tech has corrected the fit issue.
Let us know. I still didn't exactly understand Shabby's description. It would seem that the OEM hub would have to be perfectly flat otherwise non-OEM wheels would have a problem. Likely' I've misunderstood the issue - so anxiously awaiting your fitment results!
CoolTech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2013, 07:06 PM   #23 (permalink)

There's a small lip on the hub, its around 2mm around so the adapter sits on the lip rather than the rotor. When i was tightening down the lug nuts it felt odd and that's when i noticed the lip, take of the rear wheels and you'll see it.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:45 AM   #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby View Post
There's a small lip on the hub, its around 2mm around so the adapter sits on the lip rather than the rotor. When i was tightening down the lug nuts it felt odd and that's when i noticed the lip, take of the rear wheels and you'll see it.
I will be taking photos of the hub, the hub side of the adapter, the wheel side of the adapter, the adapter mountd on the hub, the amount the studs pertrude past the adapter surface, the adapter sitting on the inside of the wheels, etc.

This reminds me, I need to purchase a good torque wrench. I guess I will need someone to sit in the car with their foot on the brake when I torque down the adapters on the front. The back should be OK with the tranny in park and the emergency brake on.

Old 02-07-2013, 08:37 AM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
I purchased the TSW Interlagos wheels through Discount Tire Direct. Great company to deal with. They charged me $200 ($50 per wheel) right up front to cover all the Canadian fees (taxes, duty, brokerage fees). Wheels flew through the border with UPS. I got a PM from Discount Tire Direct (DTD) saying the wheels were to arrive from TSW at their warehouse in the States on Jan 31. They actually arrived at DTD the day before on Jan 30 and they were delivered 2 days later to Stoney Creek Ontario the morning of Feb 1. Total cost was $1,211 for 4 wheels, Gorilla Wheel installation kit, and 4 chrome valve stems. I am very happy with the people, service and shipping performance of Discount Tire Direct. First time I have dealt with them and would do it again in a heart beat.

I just checked and there are no TSW Interlagos wheels that have our 5-110 Solstice bolt pattern. You could get the same wheels as me (18X9 with a 5-114.3 bolt pattern with an offset of 63 mm), then the 23 mm adapter from Motorsport Tech (or equivalent) to go from 5-110 to 5-114.3 bolt pattern. The tire/wheel arrangement on the right in the photo would be identical to yours with the Michelin tires. The 245/45R18's look nice on the 9" rim. Your net result would be moving the center line out 15 mm on each wheel or exactly the same as if you bought a set of wheels with an offset of 40 mm which a lot of people do (offset of 55 mm is stock). The 4 adapters that are hub-centric and wheel-centric (the best) has cost me $315 USD so far. They are at the border now. Will let you know if I get charged duty and such. I prepaid an additional fee of $85 USD to cover the Canadian fees so they should cross with no problems.
Hey, thanks for the details. Thos are pretty slick wheels. I have my eyes on a set of custom wheels and they just quoted me about USD $3,800 delivered. I love'm but not sure the Missis wants to pay that much for them as it's her car. After installing a Solo exhaust on my Camaro she decided she liked the stock sound in her car just fine so this will be her choice. I just wanted to give her options.

Looking forward to seeing your wheels in person.

Automatic, AC, Leather Seating, 6 CD Changer, Monsoon sound, XM radio, Sport Metallic Pedals, did I mention Automatic.

Since my better half doesn't drive stick ... tis better to get an automatic GXP than no GXP at all.
LilRedGXP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilRedGXP View Post
Hey, thanks for the details. Thos are pretty slick wheels. I have my eyes on a set of custom wheels and they just quoted me about USD $3,800 delivered. I love'm but not sure the Missis wants to pay that much for them as it's her car. After installing a Solo exhaust on my Camaro she decided she liked the stock sound in her car just fine so this will be her choice. I just wanted to give her options.

Looking forward to seeing your wheels in person.

Wow, $3,800 is pretty steep for those wheels. They must be really awesome and hopefully have excellent quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that TSW make a high quality wheel (rotary forged, tight specs, etc). See their WEB site where you can see videos re the quality. I had no idea how good they were. I was at this wheel shop in Stoney Creek looking at their wheels and mentioned that I was looking at purchasing some TSW wheels and they informed me that they are one of the best you can get and that they have a good reputation.

Still waiting for the adapters. Hope they arrive tomorrow. They cleared Canadian Customs on Feb 5th.

Old 02-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #27 (permalink)

Quote:
Wow, $3,800 is pretty steep for those wheels. They must be really awesome and hopefully have excellent quality. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that TSW make a high quality wheel (rotary forged, tight specs, etc). See their WEB site where you can see videos re the quality. I had no idea how good they were. I was at this wheel shop in Stoney Creek looking at their wheels and mentioned that I was looking at purchasing some TSW wheels and they informed me that they are one of the best you can get and that they have a good reputation.

Still waiting for the adapters. Hope they arrive tomorrow. They cleared Canadian Customs on Feb 5th.
Adapters were at the post office on Friday and all set for delivery to my place but this crazy snow storm arrived at the same time, and therefore, were not delivered. Now they will be delivered on Monday and no one will be home to receive them.

Below is a photo of my work SUV (Ford Edge AWD) with some of the snow still on it from the snow storm.

Old 02-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #28 (permalink)

Just got my 23 mm adapters for the 5-110 to 5-114.3 mm conversion. Had to pay $43 CDN for HST taxes but was not charged any duty at the border probably because they were manufactured in the USA (free trade agreement).

I am very pleased with the workmanship and the finish.

Wheel side:

Hub side:

Fit to the TSW wheel was excellent:

Fitment to the hub was not good as Shabby had noted with his adapters 2 years ago. A knife blade could easily be inserted all the way around as the adapter was riding on a small shoulder. Gap was estimated to be about 1.5 mm. See photo of blade in between adapter and hub:

Anti-seize paste that I applied to the hub did not transfer to adapter showing that no contact was made. See photo below:

Looks like I will have to get the adapters machined to create a larger chamfer similar to what Shabby had to do and similar to the OEM wheels as shown in the photos. Will most likely go to a large chamfer similar to the OEM wheels:
Looks like Motorsport Tech did not listen to Shabby 2 years ago. A greater amount of chamfer is required.

Close up view of OEM wheel chamfer:

Last edited by topdowneh; 02-27-2013 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Corrections and typo
Old 02-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Founding Member

Cool

BUMMER!
Old 02-12-2013, 06:16 AM   #30 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to canuknut Send a message via Yahoo to canuknut
Adaptors

Hey Rick just a question,does nobody make wheels that fit w/o an adaptor????
canuknut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.