Tire Size's - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > Tires & Wheels
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #1 (permalink)

Tire Size's

WHAT ARE THE WIDEST TIRE'S YOU CAN PUT ON THE STOCK 18X8 RIMS OR DO THEY HAVE TO STEY AT 245/45 I WASTHINKING OF PUTTING ON 255/45??? ANYONE EVER CHANGE IT UP A BIT? THANK YOU
STEREO: ALPINE SPS-610C, PRECISION POWER 8"
DEBADGED
A.E.M: COLD AIR INTAKE
MAGNAFLOW: DUAL EXHAUST
GXP PARTS: BUMPER, SPOILER, FULL FE3 SUSPENSION
EIBACH SPRINGS: SPORT LINE
KAPPASPHERE: REBAR
DDMWORKS: RACE BACK BONE
NORMS FIBERGLASS: DUAL REAR DIFFUSER
ASAP.DIGITAL.IMAGING: SLOTTED BACK UP LIGHTS,SIDEMARKERS,THRID BRAKE LIGHT,TRANSFORMER OVERLAYS
It's not just a car, it's a lifestyle and a community.
SOLSTICE-D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2009, 12:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

The 245/45-18 is the biggest size we recommend. The 255/45-18 will fit on an 8" wide wheel but is to tall. The max height we recommend for the Solstice is 26.8" and the 255/45-18 is over 27" If you don't mind making fender modifications, you should be able to make it work. Even the 255/40-18 size is not recommended because the minimum width rim that has been approved is 8.5".

Sales and Technical: 1.888.459.4080

Found a Lower Delivered Price

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Discount Tire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 10:24 AM   #3 (permalink)

Discount assistant manager said I could go with Goodyear F1's 245/45/18 front and 265/40/18 rear. Do you agree?
Healix is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2009, 12:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

The approved rim width range for the F1 A/S in the 265/40-18 size is 9" to 11" The approved rim width range for the F1 ASY is 9" to 10.5" If you have aftermarket wheels that have the corret dimensions you're in good shape. I would not recommend the 265's for the OEM wheels though.

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Old 04-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am not looking for approval ; ). Can you put a 275/40/18 F1 on the stock rear wheels? I have checked some tire size calculators and the diameter, circumference and all match up pretty well. I understand that is considered too much tire for a stock wheel, but will it fit? I used to have a 92 Vette and stuffed 315/35's on the stock front wheels. I was told they wouldn't fit either, but they did. 265/40's have a shorter diameter so would look a little strange with 245/45's up front on stock wheels. Regardless of recommendations or approvals, will they fit and have enough clearance?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:38 AM   #6 (permalink)

I have 275's on the back but not on stock rims. I have 18" Ultraleggera's that are 9" wide in the back to accommodate. The vehicle is lowered as well (eibach pro-kit 1.3" drop) and there are no tire rub issues (1.5 degrees negative camber) - just tons of grip with the Pilot Sport 2's!

Last edited by joshmass; 04-08-2009 at 07:40 AM.
joshmass is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2009, 07:58 AM   #7 (permalink)

I think DA 1234 is running 255/45 on his stock rims. Might want to ask him if he has any issues with them.
Solstice #1 - 2007 Solstice GXP 12/06 - 10/09 (Sold)
Solstice #2 - 2009 Solstice GXP Coupe 10/09
License Plate - CHGO SOL

Mod List:
DDM - Aeroforce Gauges, Pro Beam, Backbone, Pipes, Coil Cover
JPM - Console/Visor Covers, Doorpads, Handle, Loops
Solo - Solo Mach Shorty
Hahn - Intercooler
Werks - Polished Turbo Cover
GM - USB Radio, GMPP Tune & Intake, GXP Z0K Sways
Other - Kuda Phone & Ram Laptop Mount, Backup Cam
mikep77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 02:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healix View Post
I am not looking for approval ; ). Can you put a 275/40/18 F1 on the stock rear wheels? I have checked some tire size calculators and the diameter, circumference and all match up pretty well. I understand that is considered too much tire for a stock wheel, but will it fit? I used to have a 92 Vette and stuffed 315/35's on the stock front wheels. I was told they wouldn't fit either, but they did. 265/40's have a shorter diameter so would look a little strange with 245/45's up front on stock wheels. Regardless of recommendations or approvals, will they fit and have enough clearance?
The 275/40-18 size will be tight. The max tire width we measured out is 265mm. Now our fitment guide is a little conservative since we guarantee all of our fitments (no rubbing). Chances are that the 275 width will work but again, I do not recommended this for the OEM wheels

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Old 04-09-2009, 09:21 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discount Tire View Post
The 275/40-18 size will be tight. The max tire width we measured out is 265mm. Now our fitment guide is a little conservative since we guarantee all of our fitments (no rubbing). Chances are that the 275 width will work but again, I do not recommended this for the OEM wheels
Just because they 'fit' doesn't mean they 'work'. You may have to alter you tire's pressure to get an optimum footprint. -J
Old 04-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #10 (permalink)

do you think higher or lower pressure? I am willing to give it a try and with your help on this one, if it 'works' also, I bet a lot of folks will want to do the same thing. Lots of questions about how fat we can go in the back on OEM's. Thanks everybody for the perspectives on this one!
Old 04-10-2009, 08:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
do you think higher or lower pressure? I am willing to give it a try and with your help on this one, if it 'works' also, I bet a lot of folks will want to do the same thing. Lots of questions about how fat we can go in the back on OEM's. Thanks everybody for the perspectives on this one!
A tire marginally too large of a wheel would tend to bow, lifting the shoulders off the ground. To compensate for this you might want, to go with lower pressures. You don't want to go too low lest you could roll the tire off the rim in a hard turn. -J
Old 04-10-2009, 04:22 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

I also wanto add that every major brand tire is covered by a manufacturer's warranty for workmanship and material defects. This warranty is void if the tire is mounted on a wheel outside the tire manufacturer’s recommendations.

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Old 04-10-2009, 11:33 PM   #13 (permalink)

New idea then...what about a set of Foose Nitrous wheels 20x8.5? What offset do you recommend? What is the stock OEM offset? How fat can I go in the back? I appreciate being able to pick your brain on this one. Kind of a big purchase so need to get this one just right. I understand your estimates may be a bit conservative, but if you stretch it to the max, what do you think? Tire size? 245/30 or maybe 265/30? Others? How about 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9 rears for wheels? Then what tire sizes can we stuff in there? I am really looking for a cool look over performance.

Last edited by Healix; 04-10-2009 at 11:35 PM. Reason: late idea
Old 04-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #14 (permalink)
Supporting Vendor

Quote:
New idea then...what about a set of Foose Nitrous wheels 20x8.5? What offset do you recommend? What is the stock OEM offset? How fat can I go in the back? I appreciate being able to pick your brain on this one. Kind of a big purchase so need to get this one just right. I understand your estimates may be a bit conservative, but if you stretch it to the max, what do you think? Tire size? 245/30 or maybe 265/30? Others? How about 18x8.5 fronts and 18x9 rears for wheels? Then what tire sizes can we stuff in there? I am really looking for a cool look over performance.
The recommended offset range for an 8.5" wide wheel is +41mm to +65mm. Your OEM wheels have a +55mm offset. The widest recommended wheel width is 9.5". When selecting the tire size, you want a tire that is closest to OEM in terms of height. The max recorded tire diameter is 26.8" Since the max recommended tire width is 265mm, the best setup is 245/35-20 for the front and 265/30-20 for the rear. Ideally a 275/30-20 would be better in terms of overall diameter. The 265/30-20 is just over .25" shorter when compared to the 245/35-20. If you run staggared 18" wheels, the same tire widths apply. You can probably fit 275's but this may require fender modifications.

Useful Links:
Tire Size Calculator
Current Promotions
Interactive Wheel System
Wheels & Tires 101
Old 04-11-2009, 08:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

i have goodyear f1 uhp 265-40-18 on stock wheels only slight rubs on very hard corners. everything else is great!
jinks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.