Attention: For no heat/over heat issues - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2009, 07:13 AM   #1 (permalink)
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to MomsSol
Attention: For no heat/over heat issues

I have just received some information with regard to the no heat/over heat issues that some of the GXP members have been mentioning. This only applies to those who have not modified or 'tinkered' with their cooling system.

GM is aware of the problem and working on the resolution - in the mean time:

Quote:
The thing to do is not open the cooling system cap unless there is a reason (no coolant in bottle) and if it was opened and now have no heat/over heat complaint, find a dealer that has a vac-n-fill system to vacuum out the system to purge the air. It may take up to three times to get the air out.
Once there is further information on this issue it will be posted.

HTH!

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace
#106614 12/15/05 NA Sly Traded @ 35k Miles

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
MomsSol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #2 (permalink)

Great information Mom, great having you as a "source"
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
If the dealership doesn't already have one, they are available from GM's essential tool supplier for $502.

Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 06:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

BTT for exposure

#139640 '07 NA Sly Fully Loaded 12/1/07- Wester's Tune, CAI, Magnaflow Stainless Catback Exhaust, Carolina Custom Armrests and Door Pockets, Custom Painted Engine Cover, Carbon Flash Painted Grills, Custom Painted Guage Bezel, Air Oulets Bezels and Shifter Bezel. DDM Backbone and Brace

"Life's not the breaths you take but the moments that take your breath away" ~ George Strait

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Old 03-13-2009, 08:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

interesting, I've had mine off several times, first one was to fill the tank due to a low coolant light. I've never had an over heat problem. Good info to know.

See my car on cardomain.com
DeepBlueGXP also on the Skyroadster and Kappa Performance Forum.
Deepbluegxp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2009, 01:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

Bet your engine was cold when you did it, wasn't it?
JPM custom dash, center console, door inserts
Solo SQR2 with Norm's center defused panel
FucuzTech Tri-Y header and high flow cat
DDM Stage III Upgrade here
Critterman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 08:24 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location: Under an invisibility cloak, somewhere in the Northeast
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomsSol
I have just received some information with regard to the no heat/over heat issues that some of the GXP members have been mentioning. This only applies to those who have not modified or 'tinkered' with their cooling system.

GM is aware of the problem and working on the resolution - in the mean time:
Quote:
The thing to do is not open the cooling system cap unless there is a reason (no coolant in bottle) and if it was opened and now have no heat/over heat complaint, find a dealer that has a vac-n-fill system to vacuum out the system to purge the air. It may take up to three times to get the air out.
Once there is further information on this issue it will be posted.
Here is what MomsSol's advice looks like in dealership form:
Quote:
Subject: Engine Runs Warm, No Heat at Times or Noise From Heater Core

2007-2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2007-2009 Saturn Sky Redline
2007-2009 Daewoo G2X
2007-2009 Opel GT

Condition/Concern:
A technician may comment of a gurgle/knock noise from the heater core area, a low/no heat condition and or the coolant temperature gauge may read high intermittently.

Recommendation/Instructions:
These concerns may be caused by an air pocket in the cooling system. This vehicle configuration is susceptible to air pockets entering the cooling system if the reservoir cap is removed. DO NOT open the cooling system on a warm/hot car; doing so will induce air into the cooling system. Anytime the cooling system is bled, the driver’s side of the vehicle should be lifted slightly to insure the reservoir is the highest point in the system.

Air can enter into the system from the reservoir bleed port. With vehicle parked on a level surface, make sure the coolant recovery container is level in the vehicle and the bleed port is above the engine outlet port. You should be able to place your finger between the inner fender and the lower front edge of the coolant container. If you have to move the front of the container up, make sure the coolant container or cap does not contact the underside of the hood when closing.

To remedy this concern it will be necessary to use a Vac-N-Fill coolant filler in conjunction with slightly raising the driver’s side of the vehicle. This process will need to be repeated 3 times to ensure any air is removed from the system. Follow the eSI procedure found under "Cooling System Draining and Filling (GE-47716)" for the Vac-N-Fill instructions. After filling, run the vehicle up to operating temperature until the cooling fans cycle and test drive to verify the concern has been repaired.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.
Any Service Manual, Technical Service Bulletin, Priliminary Service Bulletin, Part, Accessory, Sales or Product information found here on site, should be thought of as correct and accurate as of the date it was posted. After that any information or service procedure should be confirmed as still correct with your dealership.

FAN MAIL TO ME: "Unfortunately, itís attitudes like yours that give dealers a bad reputation."
Small Dealer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2009, 09:58 AM   #8 (permalink)

So replacing the thermostat (which was done in many cases) probably only worked because they drained and refilled the coolant at the same time...
pj-33 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2009, 06:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Two comments;
1) There is NO MORE EXPENSIVE place to buy "special tools" then from Kent-Moore. Even GM dealers hate the prices. Kent-Moore is just an arm of OTC, and "makes" NO tools. They are either rebranded OTC stuff, or vended from tool companies. Do some Google searching for the above vacuum system and expect to pay about HALF the K-M price.
2) There is an "old school" solution to cooling system air locks. Remove the thermostat, drill a 1/8" hole in the plate, and reinstall. No more air locks. Have I tested it on an LNF engine? No. But it is an almost universal "fix". The hole is big enough to clear air locks, but small enough NOT the negatively effect the cooling system.
snaponbob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 06:52 PM   #10 (permalink)

Fixed!

I had this problem EXTENSIVELY over the past 3 weeks. The only fix for it was the vac-n-seal. Knock on wood, I'd have the car back a week and a half and have tried my darndest to repro the issue. Can't.

Very happy now.

2007 Aggressive GXP/6CD Monsoon/Jet Engines/Automatic Transmission

Bellevue (Near Seattle), WA
Paradoxical719 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks MomSol and Small Dealer. I've had my GXP in for this previously and it was unresolved. The problem has plauged me off and on for over a year. I'll be headed back in to my dealer as soon as my GMPP Stage II arrives to have it installed and I've already copied your tech bulletin to hand to them. They hate it when I do that to them. :-)
Jpdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2009, 05:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

Is this process covered under the drivetrain warranty? It's all I have left and I am having the no heat/overheat problem. An I did open the cap on the driver side reservoir. I didn't see this thread yet...

If this isn't covered, how much should I expect to pay?
Old 11-25-2009, 06:52 AM   #13 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jebsmith View Post
Is this process covered under the drivetrain warranty? It's all I have left and I am having the no heat/overheat problem. An I did open the cap on the driver side reservoir. I didn't see this thread yet...

If this isn't covered, how much should I expect to pay?
This is not part of the drivetrain and therefore would not be covered under that warranty. I haven't seen anyone post pricing for this repair, hopefully someone will for you.

Team Solstice

NASSOA(TM)
Founding Member
Old 11-25-2009, 06:58 AM   #14 (permalink)

Well I have an appointment Tuesday to get it done, I will try some methods mentioned on other threads before then to try and save some money. My dexcool is about a half inch lower than the line. Sooooo maybe, just maybe adding that will help.
Old 11-25-2009, 07:06 AM   #15 (permalink)

Just got off the phone with Saturn service, they have never done a flush, but the said the have the vac-n-fill. All they have every done is drain and fill the coolant. Sooo I don't know what that means for me. But A drain and fill is $39.95.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.