Attention: For no heat/over heat issues - Page 11 - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2012, 10:09 PM   #151 (permalink)

anyone know if this is covered under the powertrain warranty?

Or only under the bumper to bumper?

I've got 8 months left on the powertrain warranty only. I doubt it, but worth asking anyway.

Also what was the typical bill on having a dealer do this?
icecruncher is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-19-2013, 09:30 PM   #152 (permalink)

Let me share my experience on this.

It really started acting up and finally became unusable.

Car overheating got worse, in two miles to drive home Thursday night, I had to stop 4 times to let the engine cool down.

So, I went to take it in the next morning and same issue. Had to stop every 1/4 mile or so to cool down from 250 (light coming on). After about 5 times doing that, I was 1 block from the dealership (less than 2 miles from my house) and it wouldn't start at all.

So then I had to call a tow truck and have it towed the last block to the GMPP dealership I always go to.

They fixed it at no charge and paid for the tow along with checking complete system over and sent me on my merry way. I was stressing major on this.

It was there for two days but it's fixed now - for good I hope. Drove it tonight for 1 1/2 hours with no issues. Temp hovering at 194-199 most times. Stop and go it went to 205, but then right back down to 198 when started moving.

So, I got the issue fixed under warranty and it was marked that way on the paperwork from the dealership.

I don't know if this is typical, but just thought I'd share my experience in Charlotte, NC.

Maybe was nicer because we take both our cars there and the company I work for has a fleet account with them. But in any case I'm not complaining.

Last edited by icecruncher; 01-19-2013 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:34 AM   #153 (permalink)

Hey. i have a gxp coup and have had the same problem. First the dealer changed the thermostat didnt work then emptied and flushed and vacumed system didnt work . Then an employee found a bulliten somewhere and started tinkering with a bypass valve somewhere and low and behold .... problem fixed !
Just thought i would let you all know.
DTYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:04 PM   #154 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about this issue. Please keep us updated. If you have it or plan on having it at the dealership, please let me know if a PM with your VIN#,name, situation, contact information, dealership information, and current mileage. I hope this is resolved quickly. Thank you.

Matt,

GM Customer Assistance
GMCustomerSvc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #155 (permalink)

Actually, I don't think they did the TSB, I still have to check. It appears they just replaced a couple gaskets and refilled. I'll check matching the warranty info against the TSB.

I'd really like this fixed per the TSB bulletin, so I'll be looking into it once I get a spare moment.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #156 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I just got my second set of check valves. It looks like the installation procedure is simple and very straight forward. If / when I see any problems with the wife's 2.0 I will do the install.

I got mine is 3 days from CED.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #157 (permalink)

I just picked up a 2007 GXP with 82k miles on it, and I've had this overheating problem since the second day I took it home. Because it didn't seem consistent, I didn't think it was the thermostat, feared that it could be the water pump, but it turns out to be the bubbles. I read on a different thread that you could raise the reservoir and rev the engine to 5500 rpms to push the bubbles out, which worked... but only temporarily. I plan to go for a long drive this Sunday and hope that I can get it fully resolved before then. But it sounds like I can have a dealer vacuum my system until I can get the TSB solution installed.
neurodaemon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-28-2013, 01:44 PM   #158 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
Give this a look.

Coolant bleed procedure - Saturn Sky Forums: Saturn Sky Forum

GS Stage1 has also made his own video on the Sky forum demonstrating how you can manually force the air out of the system.

Driving it with an air bubble is not something I personally would do. You run the risk of overheating and causing expensive damage. If its the thermostat, with or without air bubbles you can get different symptoms and the potential for serious damage is ever present.

Were it my car, I would take it to my tech and have him follow the procedure to install the check valves and clear the air out of the system.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 10:15 AM   #159 (permalink)

Tomato Soup's pump idea worked like a charm, not that my car was overheating, but I was able to pull air out this way as the tank level dropped even after the pump was all cleared of fluid back into the res. 200 ml. to fill it back to full. This was super easy!

Cheers TS!
Sanguinius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #160 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinius View Post
Cheers TS!
You are most welcome!
Old 06-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #161 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguinius View Post

Cheers TS!

The PUMP worked for me and I even got to use a HF coupon when I bought it.
Old 09-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #162 (permalink)

Hope others don't end up this way.

Ran like a beauty for the first six months I've driven her as a DD. Bought used with 50k miles and already at 70k. Had similar symptoms with a two spats of 'higher' temps at 220 during recent weekend trip of 300 miles. Went away pretty quick on the road.

Next morning, drove to work fifty miles one way and started overheating one mile from work. Babied it into my parking lot with the high temp warning light just turning on. I always have my display at oil temp and really familiar with what is normal (190f-200f).

Symptoms: Escalating temp at 240+, No heat from interior heater, hot upper radiator hose, cold lower radiator hose, no leaks, expansion tank level slightly higher than normal/hot, normal dark/black oil, no exhaust smoke or liquid.

Went through the wonderful information on this and other threads and did all of the air purge procedures many times after work. Same results, so next morning I changed out the thermostat in the parking lot and re-did all of the purging procedures. Still did not work. Found that the expansion tank level was rising dramatically with coolant/system pressure increased as it was getting hot, post-purged, with all the other symptoms still active. Blown head gasket is my call.

Towed to local GM dealer in small town after confirming my service contract company would work with them. The service guy seemed in a panic describing that they think the motor 'blew up'. Seems they aren't used to motor repair as they have to have an 'inspector' come in to make an assessment of what to do. Hope they are better at oil changes?!?!

Will post progress.
Hirev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2013, 05:32 PM   #163 (permalink)

Did you install anti-purge valves Hirev? Without the vlaves the problem is not solved and air keeps leaking nito the system somehow. The anti-purge valves worked perfectly. Here is a set of instructions on how to install them.

http://www.cherod.com/solstice/HowTos/Overheating.htm

Foot Well lights, side marker turn signal, trunk spring, Antenna Delete, Retractable License plate, Clear Turn signals, Painted Calipers+decals

My solstice Site with HowTo Articles- http://www.cherod.com/solstice
odiaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #164 (permalink)

Hello this is my first try to post so give me some slack... I went through the air bubble blogs and after many attempts to resolve the over heating no heat issue I discovered through my deductive processes that the coolant was not circulating at all. I had changed the T-Stat and then removed it to port it with a weep hole de-burring and the whole nine yards. Finally I removed the radiator hose at the head to reconfirm my deductions were correct with the engine running...I decided it had to be the water pump even though I was advised it wasn't likely... I removed the pump and it was good...the problem was a piece of Bicycle chain followed the pump out...I was right it wasn't pumping but it was not what I had expected. Only 89 k miles and the chain driving the water pump had broken.... I mention this because I haven't seen any posts about that possibility ... I may have missed it but I can't remember reading one. I hope this helps someone and is not too wordy a post. N8http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/images/smilies/lurk.gif
N8Price is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-27-2013, 09:12 AM   #165 (permalink)

N8 - pictures?

I was of the understanding that the waterpump is driven by the timing chain. If that broke you must have had bigger issues!
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.