Blew up my GXP Motor using NLS on Trifecta - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 02:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Blew up my GXP Motor using NLS on Trifecta

Before reading my story below I wanted to say Trifecta is a great tune the issues I had with my car are from operator error. I did not have the NLS feature in my tune.

I've owned 3 Solstice GXP's over the years. Two 2007 Solstice GXP Autos and one 2007 Solstice GXP 5spd. 1st 2007 Solstice GXP Auto I had GM tuned great car first owner but it was totaled in an accident unfortunately. Then I picked up another 07 Solstice GXP Auto a few years later and tuned it Trifecta. Both cars ran great never had issues with Trifecta on the Auto.

Then I traded in the auto 6 months ago for a 2007 Solstice GXP 5spd. Had it trifecta tuned it ran great but I missed the constant boost the Auto delivered even when shifting to the next gear. I learned about No Lift Shift on the forum but did not thoroughly research the feature. I got good at performing NLS but noticed it would throw a CEL sometimes while doing it.

Two months ago took the car for a spin warmed it up and did a series of NLS 1 - 2 - 3 then when I went into 4th CEL light starts blinking. Car stumbles, misfires like crazy and shows the reduced pwr light.

I change my Plugs still misfires and then all 4 coils still misfires. Trip to the dealer shows low compression on Cyl 1. A valve dropped and damaged Cyl 1.

I later read on Trifecta website not to use the NLS feature when running their tune (unless NLS is built in). I actually found out NLS should not be performed on any tuned Solstice GXP 5spd because the higher boost (unless boost pull-back is re-instated at high rpm).
Thought I would share my information and hopefully save a fellow GXP owner from damaging their car.

Good news my Solstice is up and running again after getting repaired at the dealer for the past 3 weeks.

2011 Corvette Grandsport 6spd (Black) AirAid Intake | NNP Exhaust (Fuse Pulled)

2008 Trailblazer SS (Black) SuperChips | AirAid CAI

Last edited by TBSS2008; 11-20-2012 at 06:57 PM.
TBSS2008 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

I have the GMPP tune am I understanding you correctly? Saying that Trifacta puts a no lift shift feature in their tune but recommends that you not use it?
Goat67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

This is odd, in that NLS is not supported in the factory (non-tuned) cars. It was a feature that came with the GMPP tune - and then (I believe) some of the other 3rd-party tuners picked it up from there.

I'm guessing that your Trifecta tune doesn't have NLS - hence their warning not to use it with their tunes.

You probably over-revved your engine (bouncing it against the rev limiter) thinking that it had the NLS feature when it didn't. That's a bugger - my sympathies (must be sickening).
Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure when I was ordering my trifecta tune, the NLS was a drop down option to choose wether you wanted it or not
JesseB is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds like you didn't have the NLS in you tune and did it anyway and are blaming it on the tune. Sounds more like operator error. With the NLS from Trifecta, when you push the clutch in to do a NLS shift it holds the RPM were it is and does not allow you to go over the rev limiter. Saving your engine. And it does not say to not use the NLS with their tune. It says to not use NLS with the Factory settings.

Last edited by BuzzardT; 11-20-2012 at 04:26 PM.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 04:20 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseB View Post
I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure when I was ordering my trifecta tune, the NLS was a drop down option to choose whether you wanted it or not
I only recall a drop down for the speed governor and the on/off switch preference, but no NLS. I'm inclined to agree with "TS" on overreving it... I've heard horror stories about overreving making mush of the rockers.
SkyPilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardT View Post
Sounds like you didn't have the NLS in you tune and did it anyway and are blaming it on the tune. Sounds more like operator error. With the NLS from Trifecta, when you push the clutch in to do a NLS shift it holds the RPM were it is and does not allow you to go over the rev limiter. Saving your engine. And it does not say to not use the NLS with their tune. It says to not use NLS with the Factory settings.
No I am saying it is operator error. I thought the NLS feature was in the Trifecta tune but I have the budget tune. I bought the car with the budget tune already on it but wanted to inform others that its not a feature that comes on all their tunes. You do have to specify you want this feature on their website when ordering the FULL tune. Just wish I would have done more research.

Good news is the car is running again and I have a little more knowledge about the car and tune.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

That could be correct, I was not sure...Ive always been to scared to try it because I don't know enough about it...good thing too, cause I thought it meant you didn't have to use the clutch!! I thought it meant you just kept the
Gas pedal mashed and you just shifted (no clutch) at a certain RPM...this is
My first car I care about, I'm young (25 in a couple weeks) and don't have much car knowledge...this forum has helped me a lot
Old 11-20-2012, 06:18 PM   #9 (permalink)

Eitherway, glad your car is up and runnin again!!
Old 11-20-2012, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Here is quote from a post on the Cobaltss.net talking about NLS and trifecta.

Quote from Trifecta:

Many people have reported misfire problems when attempting to*no*lift*shift*after installing an aftermarket tune.**The reason this happens is because most tuners remove the boost pull-back at high RPM to improve performance.

Per the article on*no*lift*shift, the factory tune has to prevent over-revving with about 15psi or less of boost at the rev limiter.**Aftermarket tunes may raise this to as much as 22psi.**Because the ECM uses a combination of fuel and spark cut to prevent over-revving, the ECM has to intervene much more aggressively to prevent an over-rev with 22psi running through the engine vs. 15psi.**This can cause misfires.

There are two ways to solve this problem if it happens:

1.**We can re-instate the boost pull-back at high RPM
2.**The driver can stop using*no*lift*shift*

- Vince
Owner, Trifecta Performance Inc.

Full Thread link:
Problems with Trifecta Tuning using no-lift shift - Cobalt SS Network

Last edited by TBSS2008; 11-20-2012 at 06:31 PM.
Old 11-21-2012, 07:33 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzardT View Post
Did you even read the first post? "Before reading my story below I wanted to say Trifecta is a great tune the issues I had with my car are from operator error. I did not have the NLS feature in my tune."
Baldo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 07:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
Did you even read the first post? "Before reading my story below I wanted to say Trifecta is a great tune the issues I had with my car are from operator error. I did not have the NLS feature in my tune."
Actually, he added that AFTERwards. The original first post was a bit less clear.
Old 11-21-2012, 10:02 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have the GMPP tune installed on my car.

The NLS works perfectly. There is no boost drop between shifts, when the NLS is engaged correctly. It does operate in a very narrow RPM band, but once you get accustomed to the operation, it definitely gives you an added advantage. And it is functioning, as designed, with the higher boost of the GMPP tune.

That being said, not really recommended for daily driving.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:37 AM   #14 (permalink)

Location: Parker Colorado, USA, directly above the center of the earth
I "tested" the NLS a couple of times after getting the tune installed but did not like putting that much stress on the 2.0. Having gone NA, I now short shift.

Punisher's Daddy
Green Dragon's chief mechanic
Carol's husband for 46 years

Secretary Rocky Mountain Solstice and Sky Club
Punisher's story
http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f62/punisher-65168/
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/f2...cussion-42115/

rob the elder is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldo View Post
Yes I read the first, first post not the second first post. Sorry you thought you knew what you were talking about in ref to my post.
Original post was at 2:09PM. My post was at 4:12PM. He responded to my post at 6:13PM then edited his original post at 6:57PM and you read the edited post or responded to my post at 7:33AM the next day.

Last edited by BuzzardT; 11-21-2012 at 01:12 PM.
BuzzardT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.