Coolant Drain Procedure - Pontiac Solstice Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Pontiac Solstice Forum > Technical Solstice Discussion > General Tech, Solstice GXP Specific
Register Home Forum Gallery Owner Registry Garage Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

SolsticeForum.com is the premier Pontiac Solstice Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2012, 05:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

Coolant Drain Procedure

My 2007 GXP turned 5 late last November so the coolant needs changed. I've been waiting for better weather to do it myself. I've seen the thread on how to fill the system but nothing on how to drain it. Is there a petcock on the radiator, are there drain plugs in the block? Can anyone give me some help please?

Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2012, 06:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Theres one on the rad at the passenger side and one at the bottom of the water pump.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks shabby thats what I needed to know.

Mods: Westers Race Tune, K&N Drop In Filter, Dejon SS BOV Spring, JPM Visor Covers, 3M Clear Bra, GM Splash Guards, Shorty Antenna, Silver Painted Calipers W/Red GXP Letters, Red Arrow Decals, JPM Stitched Console, Silver Painted Rotors, Mirror Polished Stainless Engine Cover, Fuse Box Cover and Visor Mirrors, DIY Tunnel Brace, Dual Horns, DDM Pro-Beam.
Charlie W is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 08:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

The drain release on the passenger side is real easy to get at. It is a white plastice valve. most fluid drain pans will slide right under the radiator.

2008 Solstice GXP, Cool.

Hp Tune; GMPP Turbo Upgrade Kit, GM Perfomance Brake Reservior, ZOK Anti-Sway Bars; DDMWorks Backbone Brace, LV Front Brace and Pro-Beam; MagnaFlow Performmance Exhaust; Performance AutoWerks High Flow Catayltic Converter, Street Perfomance InterCooler, WR-1 Turbo Upgrade; DeJon Complete IC Piping Kit and Lower Intake Pipe; K & N Filter; Norm's Front Splitter; Spec Stage 2 Clutch, Extra Dark Tinted Windows. Lets not forget a heavy foot..........
SBUTCHER2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 05:25 AM   #5 (permalink)

Charlie, let me know how you do, I had my coolant flushed by the dealer on my 2007 GXP in January. Now my temp readout fluctuates between 195 and 207 where is use to always be 198-199.

Tim
Old 04-02-2012, 10:19 AM   #6 (permalink)

Tim-
If your temp is sporadic, you probably have an air pocket. There is very detailed info on that on here as it is not simple to fill the Sol and not allow air into system. It is also tedious to get air out. Something like driving one tire onto a 2x6 or something. If your temp is consistently higher, then the new coolant is not as good as previous coolant which would mean the mixture is different.
94 Bronco XLT, 5.8L, very rusty and 35s
07 GXP, Mean, manual-RIP 1Apr13 @14K miles
juspimpin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #7 (permalink)

Yes, that was my first thought and I did the bleed process documented on the forum. I got fluid coming out of the line that connects to the top front of the engine, when I squeeze the large hose, it will blast out into the reservoir tank. This process lowered the fluid level in the tank by 1/4" inch. So now instead of the temps fluctuating from 190 to 220, they just go from 195-207. I'll try the bleed process again and see if I get anymore air out of it.
Tim.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Founding Member

Surprise

Last year I drained the radiator and refilled with fresh 50/50, required ~132 oz. to get it right.

Today, I drained both the radiator and the water pump and refilled with fresh 50/50, required ~190 oz. to get it right.

A lot of work getting the WP bolt out and it really makes a mess draining!!

My NEW Maintenance Schedule for the rest of the time I own the Coupe is going to be a drain and refill of the radiator each spring with a fresh gallon of 50/50.

That should keep enough fresh coolant in the system. YMMV
Old 03-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #9 (permalink)

I had to change my thermostat over the fall and took it to my buddy to flush the coolant right after. he used a vacuum system. it took maybe 30 minutes including prep and a trip around the block afterwards. the vast majority of the time we were drinking beers leaning on the side of the car. highly recommended

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Intake and TB Phenolic Spacer
Opel GT antenna
Kenwood KDC-BT555U
Somnambulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-20-2014, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)
Founding Member

Coolant R&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post
Last year I drained the radiator and refilled with fresh 50/50, required ~132 oz. to get it right.

Today, I drained both the radiator and the water pump and refilled with fresh 50/50, required ~190 oz. to get it right.

My NEW Maintenance Schedule for the rest of the time I own the Coupe is going to be a drain and refill of the radiator each spring with a fresh gallon of 50/50.

I guess I am OCD, or something close to that because this R&R of the Coolant thing has me questioning what is going on. The Repair Manual list the specification for the 2.0 @ 9.5 qts (304 oz.). But when I drained both the water pump and radiator, the total amount drained was ~190 oz. and I even included the amount that I recovered when I changed out the upper radiator hose to blue silicon. When I refilled, it was very close to the same amount (190 oz.). When I refilled, I used a HF pump to purge the air in the system and I also have the valves installed in the water lines per TSB.

Where is the rest of the coolant? Is it in the block, the heater or????

Another thought, if I could have used the Vacuum Procedure, would it have replaced all of the 304 oz. or just ~190 oz. that I was able to drain out?
Old 03-20-2014, 09:59 AM   #11 (permalink)

Same with me. I got a lot less out than the quoted amount. I also drained the heater core (which is pretty small), so it's not there.
Old 03-20-2014, 10:05 AM   #12 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoSoup View Post
Same with me. I got a lot less out than the quoted amount. I also drained the heater core (which is pretty small), so it's not there.
Next: will need someone who has pulled an engine and found bunches of coolant left in the block to chime in.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:07 PM   #13 (permalink)
Founding Member

I brought it up to Temperature today, actually it went to 210, then cooled it down, cycled it again and the Temp only went to 199 with the A/C. It appears everything is back to normal!
Old 03-20-2014, 11:04 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolNut View Post

damn why so frequent?

Intake and TB Phenolic Spacer
Opel GT antenna
Kenwood KDC-BT555U
Somnambulator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-21-2014, 06:24 AM   #15 (permalink)
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnambulator View Post
damn why so frequent?

Last year I changed out a gallon because it was easy and the Coupe was four years old.
This year the Coupe is a year older, birthday April 8th, and I wanted to R&R all of the Coolant.

Now looking at my results of draining both the radiator and the water pump showing only ~190 oz., my plan now is I am going to drain and refill the radiator each year with a gallon of fresh 50/50 Dexcool.

YMMV

The wonder that I have is how much NEW coolant is actually installed into the system when the vacuum method is used?
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Pontiac Solstice Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.