Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

DDM Works LS3 Conversion #1

7K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  rob the elder 
#1 ·
Or, Punisher gets a new heart!

Dave ran a baseline on the existing 2.0 motor. I have not gotten the curves yet but will post them when I do get them. Dave has been playing with the 2.0, tuning it to see how much output he can safely achieve. He reports that after spending some TLC with it, his tuning produced 305 HP and 373 ft pounds at the wheels. He said this is his first opportunity to work with a car with "all the options".
Dejon charge tubes, intake elbow and CAI
Solo high flow cat
GMPP tune
Dejon intercooler
Magnaflow cat back

If he is on schedule, that motor is now out of the car and the Ls3 is getting ready to replace it.

They are putting in the Ls3 480 HP crate motor which Dave says will easily go over 500 HP with his tuning.:thumbs::driving::thumbs:

#3 ·
Rob: I spotted your car in some pictures from DDM meet, I didn't wanted to spill it out as I saw you not sharing with the public yet.

That is a sweet about LS3 in a Kappa, I hope someday to do it too so no need for other compliments more than this.

I have one question, how much Dave sees on their dyno on stock oem/GMPP GXP?

#12 ·
The LS3 engine alone if you buy it out right runs about 7k...i= I dont beleive its a bolt up to the solstice transmission either..

Going to need a new wireing harness..for sure....new computer for sure..

a new tremec 6 speed transmission is about 3k.... new clutch..

I know mallet put the ctsv rearend and 1/2 shafts in thier builds..

and pushing that kind of power thats probally whats needed thats probally 3k more....then your talking alot of labor......

I would guess its about 20-25k to get this done..

probally about 13-15k in parts and about 8 to 10k in labor... and worth every penny.... if i had that kind of bank roll lying around i would do it in a second... and probally kill myself driving it day one.. it will be a sideways beast!!!!!

Thats just a guess though.

#5 ·
Dave has data from every tune he has done. If you ask I am pretty sure he will tell you what his experience is with each configuration of car they have done. I dont have that data though.

I don't know what DDM will charge for their production version. I am not sure they have set a price yet. They have done Randy's car as a proof of concept and I "volunteered" my car as production number 1 so they can validate their process. (actually I begged them for weeks)

I believe that once they get through mine they will establish their prices and options.

#20 ·
i think you're high. Werks is doing them for under 20k
i got this from the werks site

ls3/480 $19,500.00
exhaust $1,650.00
ac $1,700.00
$22,850.00

from my reading, and i may be wrong, it looks like they make use of the existing transmission and rear end.

If you add the 6 speed transmission and drive shaft it looks like its right in the same ball park as the $25 k from others like wade's garage.

Their list did not include a tune but i have to assume that they will do that as well because they are a great shop.
I estimated 23-25k.. With a 6 speed and a new rearend...

SO AM I HIGH NOW??

#14 ·
Wade does the Ls3 for 25k which includes A/C and full functionality

In my research, the price quoted does not include cruise and A/C which are " options"

Punisher is getting the crate motor, which starts life as the 08 Vette 438 hp motor design. It gets built with a hotter cam and some other work on the heads so it is rated at 480 hp. The package includes an ECM and throttle. The ECM is compatible with the BCM

Then the builder has to select and buy all the bracketry and belts that drive the power steering, alternator etc.

The 6 speed transmission is a separate buy.

They are retaining the Sol differential and having a custom drive shaft built to connect the gear boxes.

The clutch pedal is modified to give a bit more throw.

The Sol A/C is reused

There are a number of other small tweaks required to get everything to fit.

I have a friend whonhas an early Mallet. His cruise does not work and he has been after them to do a few other things, but no luck so far

He really likes the car anyway

#15 ·
You're also going to need a custom two core aluminum radiator to get rid of the heat that engine puts out. And you'll definitely have to get new shoes to connect that power to the road. :lol:

#16 ·
My understanding is the Werks build for $18 is an Ls2 and uses the stock transmission.

Yes, you are correct about the radiator. A new radiator is required.

#17 ·
Damn Rob, I am thinking you better have an annual budget for a new set of Pole Positions each spring. :lol::lol:

I am definitely looking forward to seeing the finished build! :thumbs:

And I find the Dyno numbers on the 2.0 very interesting. Do you know what the correction factor was? I need a good year next year, to finance a little trip to DDM of my own. I would be perfectly happy with those kind of numbers out of the LNF. :lol:

#18 ·
While the numbers were collected near sea level, I would think they would be pretty close to here.

If you configured it similar to mine, he has the tune for you already!

He will be at the nationals in June, come get a tune there

#19 ·
I got this from the Werks site

LS3/480 $19,500.00
Exhaust $1,650.00
AC $1,700.00
$22,850.00

From my reading, and I may be wrong, it looks like they make use of the existing transmission and rear end.

If you add the 6 speed transmission and drive shaft it looks like its right in the same ball park as the $25 k from others like Wade's Garage.

Their list did not include a tune but I have to assume that they will do that as well because they are a great shop.

#21 ·
I dont think so. The numbers I got off Werks did not include a new transmission as near as I could tell

#23 ·
In reviewing this thread from the past, I decided to meet Chili's request and did some work on the picture.

Attachments

#24 ·
I'd still like to see an in depth video of the entire car, in a similar vein of the several GXP-Coupe1 has done. I've seen the YT performance vids, and of course the static pics posted on the forum, but would really like to see a walk around vid w/you describing all the modifications on the car.

#25 ·
Seriously, all the modifications?

LOL

Even I dont have a complete list of mods.

But I do have a to do list LOL

Actually, when I get time to do the build book I plan on including every individual mod.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.