Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Fan shroud cutting into rad hose 2.0L

22K views 132 replies 29 participants last post by  llllfly 
#1 · (Edited)
You can not see this cut.
Run your hand under top hose on the botton
of hose. Mine was cut into by the fan shroud
fin. This cut is so deep it needs replace.
LLLFLY

received PM today from GM asking for my
VIN# and dealer info.
Stay turn on last pg.

#2 ·
You can not see this cut.
Run your hand under top hose on the botton
of hose. Mine was cut into by the fan shroud
fin. This cut is so deep it needs replace.
LLLFLY
Just checked mine. Nothing is even close to any part of the hose. Can you explain futher or get a pic?

#3 · (Edited)
Place your hand under the hose.
You can't see it. Only by feel.

The only way to see it is by taking off the hose.
Look at the middle fin then go under the hose.
I not saying it is on all the cars. On mine
It is cut deep.
LLLFLY

On my 2.0 it is also not close but it is cut.
By that fin.

#5 ·
I finally figured out what you were talking about. I checked mine again and the hose is about an inch away from that shroud fin. No damage at all on mine.
Maybe the redlines are a little different??
If you change your hose keep the old one, split open a section and put it over the new hose to protect it.

#4 ·
I checked both of our Redlines:

Both have the beginnings of damage to the hose where it contacts the rib on the fan shroud. Not bad enough to be concerned right now. However, I will be making modifications next summer when the weather warms back up.

#6 ·
Mine is also 1+" away from the fin.
And cut. I missed it the 1st check.
You must put your hand underside of
The hose to fine it.
LLLFLY

Only the 2.0L.

#9 · (Edited)
Yep, no cut on mine. I can see how it would cut it if the hose was installed by the hose markings at the factory. To fix this slightly squeeze the clamps at the ends of the hose. Twist it slightly clockwise at the engine and again at the radiator. You will see a line printed on the hose to the radiator where it should line up and you want it slightly to the right of this. This will cause the hose to float up and it will be impossible for the hose to touch the radiator shroud rib.
The factory must have known about this because my radiator hose was clocked slightly clockwise.

#7 ·
(Crosspost) I had the same issue. I tried slitting a piece of fuel hose to go over the fin, but it wouldn't stay in place. I didn't want to cut the shroud as someone else suggested, so I just used a long tie-wrap and cinched up the hose away from the shroud.

This shows where the issue is... see green arrow:

And showing the hose cinched up with a tie-wrap around the airbox clip:

#10 ·
x2

black woven nylon jacket over the hose.

#11 ·
Replacing hose with DDMWORKS black rad hose.
Thank you.
Also the new hose will be tied down to stop the shake
going into the rad inlet causing it to crack in time.
LLLFLY

#12 ·
Another one of those threads that sent me out to my car to check things out!

Apparently the woven plastic shield they used on the 2009s works as there is zero sign of wear on mine. I wonder if all replacement hoses now come with this, or if it is a separate part number? Anyway, it looks like an option for earlier cars.

#13 ·
I'd bet it's a separate part number. It's not a wear item so they would expect you to replace the hose when the time comes and just put the sleeve over the new hose.

#16 ·
You lost the bet.
I does show in 09 they knew about it and never told us.
So the hose and nylon protector are 1 part number? I was betting there would be a separate part number for the protector. And of course they knew about it, that's why they started protecting them in '09, they just didn't bother to give earlier model year owners any heads up.

#18 ·
yea, I just checked GM parts warehouse diagrams and they only mention upper rad hose, no mention of protector. Course they don't even show the protector as a part for sale.

#21 ·
I checked with my local GM Parts department today:

He could not find any reference to the braided protector on the 09 parts schematic. He will do some more research next week and let me know. But at this point, the only thing he could think of is that the shroud is included with the hose.

Meanwhile: I tried twisting the hose upwards on my Sky today. If you loosen the upper clamp on the engine, the hose will twist up very easily. I now have almost two fingers clearance between the hose and the shroud. And if I push down on the hose, it now rotates towards the engine enough that it doesn't really contact the shroud; just barely brushes against.

Question for the 09 owners: Does the woven plastic guard go all the way around the hose as one piece? Or is it slotted on one side, so it can be installed without taking the hose off?

#24 ·
IQuestion for the 09 owners: Does the woven plastic guard go all the way around the hose as one piece? Or is it slotted on one side, so it can be installed without taking the hose off?
It is a continuous mesh tube that you'd have to slide over the hose. The material is finely woven nylon - same as is used to shield the smaller air conditioning hose where it passes by the master cylinder - do they have that on all years? It is smaller diameter so no substitute for the large coolant shield.

#22 ·
Don't get comfortable if you have a 2009. Mine has no shroud and the cut.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using AutoGuide App

#23 ·
So I have 40k on mine now but that cut feels deep. There are a lot of cars here with a list more mileage than me. Any burst hoses? Is this a cut or hot rubber deforming?

#26 · (Edited)
I'll get you a pic or two tomorrow, but my thought is you don't have to disconnect the hose. I'd check with the local auto parts places for some braided stuff you could buy and then cut it along the hose and put it on and zip tie at each end.

Here are a couple options searching online:

http://www.hoseandfittingsupply.com/product-p/gmis.htm

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/product_p/nps-parent.htm

http://www.ahh.biz/manufacturing/gnarly_wraps_reusable_hose_and_cable_protector_sleeve.php

This last one is more like what is on there, since it's more a mesh than a sleeve:
http://www.mocap.com/protective-netting.html

This one is cool too if you don't want to take the hose off, it wraps (spiralguard):
http://www.unisource-mfg.com/products/oneproduct.php?productid=146&categoryid=72

#27 ·
pics of nylon sleeve:

#28 ·
Thanks for the pics . There is one more thing to buy GM.
Did thay believe we would not fine it.
There has to be 1,000+ hoses out there being cut
Into.
I going to replace w/DDMWORKS new hose.
I am going to call GM C/S in am.
I will be back.
LLLFLY

#29 ·
I posted on the Sky Thread also:

On both of our Redlines: I just loosened the top hose clamp on the engine and slightly twisted the hose so that it now hangs almost two fingers above the fan shroud. After setting the hose to this elevation, if you push down on the hose it rotates towards the engine and just barely grazes the shroud and looks unlikely to cause further damage.

But the correct fix would be to install a sleeve, like they did on the 09 models.

#30 ·
Please read pg.1 this is posted w/pics.
On placement of hose.
If it grazes the shroud it is too much .
In time it will cut.
Mesh or no mesh TS is correct tie it up.
I been a PE most of my life.
I am not a 10 but the other 9 call me everyday and
ask me. How are you doing LLLFLY

#31 ·
Well, I'm not an engineer, but I do have almost 50 years of rancher smarts going for me. :lol:

And if I have to physically push down on the hose and force it to move towards the fan shroud with a total movement of almost three inches. And when doing that, it barely brushes the edge of the fan shroud. My uneducated rancher kid smarts say it really isn't a huge problem.

Keep in mind we have two test mules. Mine has almost 60,000 miles on it. And with the hose set at the OEM position, it was definitely bumping the fan shroud just sitting there. And even with that condition, it had just begun to cause a very small indent/slice on the outside cover of the hose. My wife's car only has 26000 miles. The OEM position of the hose was exactly the same and I could detect no noticeable abrasion to the hose.

Again: My suggestion for a correct fix is to install a sleeve similar to the 09 cars. Obviously GM figured out they had a clearance issue. :lol: But in my case, I am going to monitor the situation and wait until I change hoses do to normal age wear and install sleeves at that time.

#32 ·
If you have the DDM or Original LV front brace you will not have this problem on a 2.0.

#33 ·
I have the LV brace and the problem.

#34 · (Edited)
I have the LV installed also.
And cut bad.
By the way thanks LV great job.

LLLFLY

This post is only if you have the cut hose.
If you do not it is your good day and please
Check it now and then. Like a PM.

#35 ·
I wonder if TS' tie will do the same thing over time. Can we cut the rib down? Is it needed structurally?

I am thinking of literally a bandaid for now since this is not visible. Duct tape on that side covering padding or a thin piece of metal shield. Then come back and change the hose out with a coolant flush this summer with a permanent fix. That may simply be gluing a protective thin piece of metal right there if I don't get rid of the rib.

#37 ·
Why would you go cutting/grinding off the ribs? bandaid it for now, and the obvious solution is what GM did, put a nylon sleeve over it (or the several other options I pointed everyone to if you want something protective but different).

It's paper, rock, scissors. Except in this case nylon sleeve beats plastic rib. And if the hose is installed correctly it won't usually ever touch, mine sits a fingers width above these ribs, but if some reason there was movement, the sleeve protects the hose.

#36 ·
I wonder if it has to do with the later years.
My 07 has no issues and the LV/DDM Venom brace will never let that happen.
Here is the reason. The fan plug when the LV/DDM Venom brace is install the clearance between it and the plug is usually about 1/4" or less.
If the fan shroud moves it will hit the LV/DDM Venom brace 1st with the plug before going any further.

#38 ·
I am going to add a 1x2" pc of velcro under the hose.
Only the fuzzy side.
LLLFLY

#47 ·
That is a good idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.